NGD: Hamer Studio!

Cloacal-X

• Members

Saw it in the shop 3 weeks in a row, finally couldn't resist -

CIMG0983.jpg

CIMG0988.jpg

CIMG0982.jpg

Well, I didn't have a set-neck, mahogany, 2xHB guitar yet so I reckon it's not *too* superfluous. Plus...just look at it! Gorgeous!

I think it's a '95, it's got a little bit of playwear and of course the finish is pulling away from the edge of the fretboard (that's pretty typical with these and not really worrisome) but overall it's in fantastic condition and the top is just mesmerizing - as is the sound!

• Members

I have the exact same guitar, only mine is a '93. Finally, someone else who understands me :D

It's a killer, isn't it? Get ready to be dissapointed by all but the best LPs now ;) Best workmanship I think you're ever likely to find :cool:

• Members

Cool, thanks guys! The best part is, I didn't even think those were good pics. I wish I had better photography skills - in person, the flame is just so multi-demensional and dynamic - it's cool because as you move it the bookmatched halves exhibit contrary motion, where in several places the flame looks identical, and then in several other places it looks "perpendicular".

The burst is also exhibits more saturation than that, but I think the glare from the sky makes it look a bit more subdued. Anybody have any tips on how to counteract that so you get a glimpse of what's underneath the finish instead of the light bouncing off the finish?

• Members
I have the exact same guitar, only mine is a '93. Finally, someone else who understands me
:D

It's a killer, isn't it? Get ready to be dissapointed by all but the best LPs now
;)
Best workmanship I think you're ever likely to find
:cool:

Hehe, actually half the reason I've been drooling for a hamer is because i've been so consistently disappointed in the Gibsons I've played - don't want to turn this into a bashing thread, so we'll just say it's a "personal preference".

Even though it's not an LP, as far as I'm concerned it sounds every bit like I would ever want an LP to sound. Rich, dynamic, fat, but also dark and mellow. It's elegant, but in a very practical and playable way. I'm actually glad it doesn't have any neck binding or inlays. The top gives it more than enough cosmetic appeal, and the unadorned neck gives it a very functional aesthetic.

• Members
What's that on the bridge? Intonation adjustment on the G and B but not the rest of the strings?

Nice score BTW.
:thu:

Well, there is total intonation adjustment possible - not as straightforward as one might like if you're using a non-standard set of strings, but I don't. :) Basically you can set the tailpiece's distance from the bridge posts at each side, and there is the adjustment for the G/B strings - I presume to account for whether you're using a wound or unwound G. I wondered about this at first too, and if it turns out not to work I can replace it pretty easily I think, but the bridge works and it's really comfortable so I won't change it if I don't have to. I guess it's a tradeoff - you only have 3 adjustments you have to make, but on the other hand you only have 3 adjustments to account for everything. FWIW this thing is in perfect intonation. :)

• Members
I love the guitar, but those knobs just don't look right to me.

You know..in the pics they do look slightly odd, almost as if they aren't *part* of the guitar. I think that's the light thing going on, there's a fair amount of glare on the finish, but not the knobs, so they don't look "together".

From where I'm sitting, they look just right though. :cool:

• Members

Gorgeous guitar, and my only problem with Hamers is that I don't have more. I have a 93 Special that sounds amazing, esp the 59 neck which is truly unparalleled. You might think about changing out that lubritrac nut however. Tusq took mine to the next level.:cool:

• Members

Yeah, probably I'll replace that whenever I get a fret job done on it, but that probably won't be for at least a year. I'm not too worried about swapping anything on it just yet - if I do it'll be to drop in some seth lovers or something, but the 59s are pleasing me greatly for the moment anyway.

• Members

Yeah, probably I'll replace that whenever I get a fret job done on it, but that probably won't be for at least a year. I'm not too worried about swapping anything on it just yet - if I do it'll be to drop in some seth lovers or something, but the 59s are pleasing me greatly for the moment anyway.

Seth lovers huh? Not tried those. The 59s and Custom Custom are my personal faves. Got a JB in the bridge of my Hamer that took some gettin used to, but that improved when I installed the new nut. (Sorry but that lubritrac is absolutely the worst sponge I've run across - you've got a Ferrari with a blocked air filter IMO). Won't change out the JB now cause it's my go to for psychedelic sounds.

Archived