Anyone else think my new SX Tele is teh hottness?

Mind Riot

• Members

I bought this off another forumite a couple weeks ago, and between the money order making it's way to him and the guitar making it's way to me, I just got it yesterday.

I've been wanting a Tele for a little while, and this was a nice cheap way into one. I liked the looks of it in the pics I saw, but I have to say I REALLY like the way this particular Tele looks in person. The color is this lovely cream, and the black pickguard and such, it all really goes well together. I don't really care for the thick finished SX maple boards, but on this guitar I don't mind and I think it looks good on it.

When I got it yesterday I leveled and dressed the frets (which were pretty bad, I have to say, they needed more work than most others I've done) and installed and cut a new graphite nut in it. (It came with a Tusq replacement nut, but it was just sitting in the slot and wasn't glued and I thought the graphite one I had around fit it better, so I'll use the Tusq one for something else.) The nut slot was cut a little deep, and between that and the HUMONGOUS frets they put on these things I ended up making a nut shim out of some plastic to get it tall enough. But it all worked out. I'm still dialing in the setup because I was up late doing it last night and I was working all day today, but it plays very nicely. (Heck, all of mine do after a fret job and new nut, if they didn't I'd be wasting my time.)

The pickups don't suck as bad as the ones I played in an SX Strat once, but I'll be upgrading to some GFS ones when I get some more dough. Between them and the fret and nut work I should have a nice little spankin' dirt cheap Tele.

So here's a couple pics I just snapped. I took a couple of the leveling process, but then I thought that everybody has seen my other threads and my methods haven't changed so there's really nothing new. I will say that these frets are so huge that even after some relatively heavy leveling and dressing they still averaged .050" tall or higher.

Does anyone else really like this color scheme and overall look as much as me? I've seen a lot of good looking Teles, and this one seems to be a nice simple elegant kind of thing.

Telewhole.jpg

Telebody.jpg

Telelong.jpg

• Members

Ummmm, honestly...yeah, its nice but identical to the 10,000 other Teles we see every day here.

exactly....

why oh why do people wet themselves over strats and teles? there are billions of them out there most of them are identical...

they aren't that bad looking i suppose, but there are so much more better looking guitars out there. Les Pauls are gorgeous in comparison, even most ibanez guitars look nicer. strats are just dull and boring

• Members

exactly....

why oh why do people wet themselves over strats and teles? there are billions of them out there most of them are identical...

they aren't that bad looking i suppose, but there are so much more better looking guitars out there. Les Pauls are gorgeous in comparison, even most ibanez guitars look nicer. strats are just dull and boring

Some people like looking at GUITARS you know..like ANY guitars.

If you dont want to see em dont read the feckin post!

Anyway..congrats to the OP..I have the same tele but changed out the pickguard to vintage white.

• Members

Congrats - looks nice!

:thu:

I'm biased, though - I own a SX Tele that looked just like that. I swapped out the black pickguard for a white one with a 50's style pin-up babe on it & replaced the knobs with Q-Parts chrome knobs w/turquoise centers.

It's a nice 'lil guitar for the $$$$.

• Members

Some people like looking at GUITARS you know..like ANY guitars.

If you dont want to see em dont read the feckin post!

Anyway..congrats to the OP..I have the same tele but changed out the pickguard to vintage white.

what the hell are you babbling on about you idiot? sorry you're so in love with your guitars you have to spit your dummy out

Archived