Samick Artist Les Paul

dilin

• Members

I think those go back to when Samick was making the Epi LP's for Gibson but don't quote me on that. I would say they are as good as the Epi's from that time, since they came off the same line.

I think the Greg Bennett series is supposed to be their top shelf line but again, I wouldn't swear to it.

• Members

Before the Greg Bennett line came out, those Artists were Samick's attempt to go 'legit', making guitars under their own name instead of OEM-ing for others.

As such, it seemed they went out of their way to make them extremely well-many that I've seen were first rate instruments by any standard. No photo flame, good fretwork. Basically the best a good Korean factory could put out, since they were finally making them 'for themselves', rather than for others, and were trying to make their name.

I'd say that for two bills it would be a steal, assuming it's straight and plays well.

Larry

• Members

Ditto to what Larry said, although I wouldn't stick with that wrapover stringing with a TOM setup.

FWIW, I've heard guitars that sounded better with it, and guitars that sounded worse with it. Not quite sure why, though? Doesn't seem to be dependent on bridge / tailpiece height, like you'd suspect it would. Could it cause problems?

Larry

• Members

I own a Samick Artist Les Paul and it is a good guitar. I currently have it loaded up with a set of HB sized Kent Armstrong P90's. I've had the guitar for about 7 years now and haven't had any major issues with it. The only issue is cosmetic, it has the milky mother of toilet seat inlays that really don't look that great. Hardware has stood up very well (new tuners just because I thought the Gotoh chrome keystones looked better that the greenish plastic originals).

• Members

oh man, but i already have the newer Indonesian made Samick AV3 since last year... I'm saving up for an edwards, but this goes so cheap...

anyway, once i have more pics from the seller, i'll post it here! the specs are all true to vintage Gibsons? full maple cap, mahogany body and neck, etc.

• Members

not to hijack anyone's thread or anything, but while we were on the topic, i was wondering if anyone has, or tried the samick artist series teles? i bought one recently off ebay for the equivalent of $120 US which i thought was a steal here in australia, but when i got it, it didn't have anything stamped into the back of the neckplate at all and the wood around the input jack is flat, unlike most teles?

i tried googling it, but i can't seem to find any info on the artist series tele... not even one review! does anyone have any info on this model? is the flat input jack standard for this guitar, or has the body of my tele been replaced at some stage? the seller says he bought it at a market so he's not sure whether everythings stock or not....

much appreciated it you can help me out guys!

• Members

not to hijack anyone's thread or anything, but while we were on the topic, i was wondering if anyone has, or tried the samick artist series teles? i bought one recently off ebay for the equivalent of $120 US which i thought was a steal here in australia, but when i got it, it didn't have anything stamped into the back of the neckplate at all and the wood around the input jack is flat, unlike most teles?

i tried googling it, but i can't seem to find any info on the artist series tele... not even one review! does anyone have any info on this model? is the flat input jack standard for this guitar, or has the body of my tele been replaced at some stage? the seller says he bought it at a market so he's not sure whether everythings stock or not....

much appreciated it you can help me out guys!

Actually, that flat spot appears on some Teles, and various copies. It makes mounting the input jack cup more stable. Don't know about the neck plate, but if it's a nice guitar for that $$ I personally wouldn't sweat it.

Larry

• Members

I think those go back to when Samick was making the Epi LP's for Gibson but don't quote me on that. I would say they are as good as the Epi's from that time, since they came off the same line.

I think the Greg Bennett series is supposed to be their top shelf line but again, I wouldn't swear to it.

as always - what is it made of (body, Neck, Fretboard)

SAMICK still makes the Epiphone and if you'll notice that thing looks like an AGILE - becuase SAMICK make AGILE.

Heck SAMICK makes:

Dean

Michael Kelly

Agile

PRS SE series

Epiphone

othersI can't remember

• Members

^ :)

Here are the glory shots! The back is not one piece, I think, while the scarf joint is clearly visible too... But nice frets...

backqw0.th.jpgbackfulloe7.th.jpgfrontheadqs6.th.jpg

bodyfrontau3.th.jpgbodyfrontbelowyi5.th.jpgbodyfrontupvd7.th.jpg

fretfulljq7.th.jpgfretnecknr1.th.jpgneckfp7.th.jpg

Any more comments are greatly appreciated.

• Members

That back is great for an import-what you usually get are 'chunks' of wood with a veneer to make it look like one piece. That's very nice.

The scarf joint is, IMHO, not a negative. If an intelligent guitar maker, using wood available today, were to design the Les Paul (assuming it never existed before) they would CERTAINLY use a scarf jointed neck. Lets you avoid a weak spot in the neck where the grain runs out, lets you use better wood for the money (since you no longer need pieces big enough for the headstock angle) and is just generally better practice.

Gibson is wedded to the one piece neck by the tradition and precedent of their vintage instruments, and the fact that Gibson buyers seem to think ANY change, regardless of utility or logic, is unacceptable. Samick is using good luthiery sense by using the scarf joint.

That's a very nice guitar. I'd say you scored!

:thu:

Larry

• Members

That back is great for an import-what you usually get are 'chunks' of wood with a veneer to make it look like one piece.

Larry

I musta really scored with my $180 SX, then.

SXKY5.jpg

And the Samick doesn't look like mahogany. Kinda odd for a LP copy.

• Members

That back is great for an import-what you usually get are 'chunks' of wood with a veneer to make it look like one piece. That's very nice.

The scarf joint is, IMHO, not a negative. If an intelligent guitar maker, using wood available today, were to design the Les Paul (assuming it never existed before) they would CERTAINLY use a scarf jointed neck. Lets you avoid a weak spot in the neck where the grain runs out, lets you use better wood for the money (since you no longer need pieces big enough for the headstock angle) and is just generally better practice.

Gibson is wedded to the one piece neck by the tradition and precedent of their vintage instruments, and the fact that Gibson buyers seem to think ANY change, regardless of utility or logic, is unacceptable. Samick is using good luthiery sense by using the scarf joint.

That's a very nice guitar. I'd say you scored!

:thu:

Larry

i've actually haven't confirmed it yet.. :) just a matter of time i supppose :)

Archived