Samick Artist Les Paul

dilin

• Members

Actually, that flat spot appears on some Teles, and various copies. It makes mounting the input jack cup more stable. Don't know about the neck plate, but if it's a nice guitar for that $$ I personally wouldn't sweat it.

Larry

thanks larry - i hope the teles original... just having my doubts over its authenticity coz the paintwork seems pretty dodgy in places (and my guitar isn't really a common colour - it's like a steel blue), and the strap button just fell out yesterday. plus there's some dead frets higher up on the fretboard which the seller didn't mention. i just wish i had a picture of the real thing that i could compare mine to!

but you're right, for $120 i guess i shouldn't be worrying too much! thanks again for the help! :thu:

• Members

I musta really scored with my $180 SX, then.

SXKY5.jpg

And the Samick doesn't look like mahogany. Kinda odd for a LP copy.

That does look nice-but like I said, you have to look at the EDGES of the body. Some are just as they appear to be, and are one or a couple pieces of wood. Others are numerous pieces with a veneer on the back to look like one piece.

Not that I think it matters, really; just an observation.

Larry

• Members

just a final confirmation before i take delivery of it...

is the top a full maple cap? it looks like one to me...

thanks
:)

Most likely a veneer-few imports sport a full thickness maple cap. You'd have to pull a pickup to be sure.

(Of course, Gibson Black Beauties were all mahogany, and they're well thought of....)

Larry

• Members

The body wood is multi-piece Nato (usually three piece), the neck is maple, the pickups are ceramic and sound just so-so. They play pretty well though, and it's worth it at $200.00.

I believe that this one is the 450 series. I had a 650 series with metal tuning key knobs, more "deluxe" binding, and all gold hardware. Still had the multi-piece Nato body, maple neck, and ceramic pickups though. I sold mine when I bought a 2800 DLX Agile, which IMHO, is a better guitar.

Archived