how "dark sounding" are semi-hollows with HBs?

Saturday

• Members

New PU's and new pots should help greatly. A lot of those economy guitars have crap for PU's (some aren't even real HB's, but a single coil in a HB shell).

The pots should be at least 500K or they are going to shave off some highs.

• Members

Get some very "vintage" sounding HBs and that will brighten it up.

Better yet, a single coil or two. GFS Mean90 or Dream90.

The Nashville Retrotrons are pretty jangly. It is never going to sound like a Tele, but if you want a brighter sound, that's a good way to do it.

• Members

Some semi hollows are very bright sounding. Aka those with maple necks and maple bodies. Suspects yours is made of all dark sound woods such as mahogany. Try raising the pole peices for both pups. That generally increases treble emphasis some. Seymour duncan pups to me have more treble top for comprable models then dimarzios. For a general pup replacement guide.

• Members

Best humbucker would be Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers for such an application. I recommend also 500K pots and I've also noticed that slightly thicker guage wiring from the pots to the jack seems to brighten the sound. Thicker guage wiring picks up more interference so make sure to shield the control cavity and ground it all really well.

Of course FILTERTRONS are pretty bright humbuckers...

• Members

Listened to your clips. I kind of liked that tone.

I would agree that the Seth Lover will probably give you the high end you want. I've gone through a bunch of pickups in my 335 and the Seth Lover is my favorite by far. I'd say it has more high end than any HB I've tried that wasn't deliberately designed to mimic a single coil.

Archived