Help in choosing between these 2 Guitars !!

kaka

• Members

Few weeks ago, i decided to buy a new guitar. and looked for a not so pricey ones. and read more than thousand reviews on many guitars. finally after many comparisons, i came up with these "3" guitars (listed below). i need help from you guys in getting a better of these.

I play blues, country, rock ,progressive rock n metal. these are the 2 guitars.

ESP LTD JH-200 Jeff Hanneman Signature Model Electric Guitar

491168.jpg

Musicians Friend Link

and

Dean VX Electric Guitar

486491.jpg

Musicians Friend Link

i didnt put up this guitar earlier because i thought it would never match my style. and i am sorry for putting up this late.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-Top Electric Guitar

393699.jpg

Musicians Friend

Please help me find an appropriate guitar.

• Members

When I started playing, although metal never appealed to me, the metal guitars did. I realised that i was better off with a LP. Buying that Dean would been like buying a a {censored}ing Yugo looking back... Think about your style and what you see yourself playing i a few years time...

BTW im not saying your a begginer, just my experience with style ans a suitable guitar...

• Members

If you get that LTD, make sure you know how to use that trem, might give you headaches.

And if you buy the V, make sure you get used to standing up while playing, it's obviously not your typical guitar shape.

Out of the those two, I'd pick the V.

UllyssesSB also made some good points. Good luck with whatever guitar you buy!

• Members

I see that you already have a Les Paul type. Why not go for something like a Yamaha Pacifica 112 - Stratocaster type guitar with 2 single coils (neck and middle) and a humbucker (bridge). These are extremely versatile guitars, they play very well, they are of exceptionally good quality and are very reasonably priced. Who could ask for anything more?

• Members

Do yourself a favor and don't buy a guitar with a cheap trem. The trems on cheap guitars like that are absolutely awful. I think cheap deans are pretty bad guitars and if it weren't for the trem on the LTD i'd suggest that. Really take the advice of UllyssesSB and garthman. You can get a decent strat or look into the used market. You should absolutely try before you buy. I've played 1k dollar guitars that everyone loved and I absolutely hated how they played.

• Members

You shouldn't make your choice by reading reviews - you should go to a music shop (or several) and play as many different models as you can. Then pick the one
you
like best.

is a music store an option? if so, go in and play everything they will let you put your hands on. versatility is only a tool for players that utilize it. if you find a favorite guitar with one bridge pickup and a volume, then yeah! you are still very early on in your playing and your gear may change 500 more times until you find your #1 and that can always change again.

i like when people post these "which guitar" posts, but that makes me think about which one i would like. if you can check guitars out for yourself, take some of the recomendations from here and start with those, but be open to everything you play.

• Members

that is a popular misconception. it isn't the floyd you need to stay away from. you just need to know how it works and have a reputable version that works properly. my second guitar had a floyd and i did just fine.

Well the floyd definitely has drawbacks. Alternate tunings are nearly impossible to get to. Even tuning a half-step down (to play along with certain CDs) is extremely difficult. And bending, which is hard enough for newbies, is much harder when you have to physically hold the bridge stable so that your bend doesn't bend the rest of the strings too.

• Members

I can't speak for the Dean, but I've tried the ESP/LTD Jeff Hanneman, and it's an incredible guitar. I've tried the neckthrough version, though, that has the original Floyd Rose tremolo. It costs $900.

Being honest with you, in terms of low action without fret buzz, sound and playability, I thought it was better than my ESP.

I don't recommend the LTD with the Kahler tremolo because of the poor tuning stability. I bought the B.C. Rich Kerry King with the Kahler tremolo and returned it because the tremolo would not stay in tune.

The good thing about MusiciansFriend is that they're great in terms of returns. I had a hassle-free return with them when I tried out a guitar that I wanted. I lost $40 to ship it back, but hey, sometimes it's what you're going to spend in gas driving around to every guitar store to find your axe :)

• Members

Used Ibanez RGA121's can be found for a decent price. No trem, well made and very easy to play neck. I use mine all the time in a cover band situation and it's very versatile.

RGAs001.jpg

thats what my teacher told me. to go for an Ibanez RG series. but i do have my likes and dislikes. what i didnt mention here previously was an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-Top Electric Guitar.

393699.jpg

Musicians Friend

• Members

for the styles of music you play I would'nt suggest either... go for a strat with a bucker... versatile with possible metal edge...

hello Ullysses, i have never found it peaceful to play with the strat mainly coz i was bought up playing the LP model which had only 2 pickups. and in the strat that middle one is a pain in the ass for me,. i cant strike the notes and stuff like that(weird i know).

• Members

The LTD looks more versatile, having a tremolo.

Besides, no offense to Dean fans, but that V is really, really ugly.

its a $ 200 guitar. check out the features. for the price, definitely its a bang for the buck .

• Members

Quite different guitars. The Hanneman would need a few upgrades (EMG-HZs blow, man), and not sure if you can deal with a cheap floyd or not. The Dean is pretty plain, and bolt on... So is the Hanneman, but I always saw the V as a primarily set neck guitar. New been a fan of Epi's solidbodies, and those I did like were you and far between.

To be honest, I think there are much better guitars out there in the price range... A non-signature LTD would have better specs in that price range, a Hamer Standard (import) would have a mahogany body and set neck as opposed to Dean's bolt-on and basswood (which, like I said, are fine, but not for a V, in my humble opinion), and an Agile would be my preference for a Les Paul style guitar of that price range, if for nothing more than a decrease in price and increase in options.

Archived