guitar center douchebaggery

fling the poo

• Members

this kid today at GC was all hyped up on the fender VG. i had never seen one and was intrigued. i saw it as a modern day overpriced tiesco/sears type of thing. i was aking him questions about it when a salesdude walked up:

me - "so how is this thing powered?"

GC- "4 aa batteries"

me- "that seems dumb when a 9 volt is more music friendly and takes up less room"

GC- "no way four aa's takes up less room than 9 volt they aren't as thick so theres less wood to cut away to make room in the cavity and AAs are just as easy to get as 9volts"

so he leaves and we go plug in. the non-standard settings don't work so we popped the battery door open and found this HUGE caddy thing, about the size of a half case of 9 volts. there are no batteries in the guitar so i go to the counter "hey you got any AA batteries for this thing we wanna check it out" and after his jaw goes slack, same douchebag says "uhhh we don't carry AA batteries here all we have are 9volts"

i think the battery thing is dumb as dirt but it seems like it would be kinda fun and quirky to have esp if it were about 1/5 of the price.

anoter douchey GC thing happened today. went in to see if my special order from 3 months ago had come in yet. the guy who placed the order quit, so they canceled all his special orders and didn't bother to tell any of the folks like me who were waiting for their orders to come in. i had no choice in this one, normally i think their special order process is BS having to go to a DC then back to the store, but this was the only way i could get this certain discontinued item

oh yeah don't let me forget the insane deal they had... less paul studio faded with a cracked headstock for 798!!!! i think i'm going to go offer them 100 tommorow

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Seems like Special orders from ANYWHERE, turn out to be a project. I suppose sometimes there's no getting around the wait. But I try MF and all other on-line music stores before going that route. Usually you can find what you need this way. And have it to your home in three-four days.

But I've waited mths for Fender to send a special order part. On my first SRV Strat. I needed a Gold Plated Trem arm. The one that came with the guitar was threaded badly. So I looked everywhere for one and couldn't find the Gold. I wound up ordering one from Sam Ash. But took a good MTH to arrive. I also had the original re-threaded at a machine shop. So I wound up with two. But I undrstand what your saying as far as Special Orders.

• Members

Last time I was in GC I was buying some odds and ends and some crap to give to some of my Athletes I've gotten into playing. The dude rang up a capo and it was more than the sticker where it came from. When I asked him about it, he said he would fix it. The price changed, but the total didn't. I asked him about that and he said the computer lets him discount items and it places the $$ other places. So I said, "You didn't discount it if it just made something else more expensive." He said, "Yep look right here, that item is cheaper now." After a few minutes of this idiotic ramble I told him to forget it. I went across the highway to Sam Ash and bought the stuff. I was talking to the manager and told him about my experience across the road and he gave me a discount. We had a nice laugh about it!

Douchebaggery is correct my friend!

• Members

Last time I was in GC I was buying some odds and ends and some crap to give to some of my Athletes I've gotten into playing. The dude rang up a capo and it was more than the sticker where it came from. When I asked him about it, he said he would fix it. The price changed, but the total didn't. I asked him about that and he said the computer lets him discount items and it places the $$ other places. So I said, "You didn't discount it if it just made something else more expensive." He said, "Yep look right here, that item is cheaper now." After a few minutes of this idiotic ramble I told him to forget it. I went across the highway to Sam Ash and bought the stuff. I was talking to the manager and told him about my experience across the road and he gave me a discount. We had a nice laugh about it!

Why not just make '10' louder?

But these go to '11'!

• Members

Breaking News: Retail guitar store has sales reps that don't know everything.:rolleyes:

This is nothing unique to guitar center. You can find problems with anyone at any store about anything.

Sure I have seen sky-high prices on gear at GCs before. Byt I have also gotten my fair share of great deals too. (can you say Keeley ts9 for 70 bucks) Its all what you want to make of it. If you go in looking for a problem, you will find what you are looking for. I don't see the big deal.

• Members

this kid today at GC was all hyped up on the fender VG. i had never seen one and was intrigued. i saw it as a modern day overpriced tiesco/sears type of thing. i was aking him questions about it when a salesdude walked up:

So am i understanding that you basically just butted in to annoy the dude? To challenge his being vs your own? Not to defend GC but I'm not sure what exactly your point or mission was here.

• Members

Sounds a little like my Memorial Day experience. I went that day to see if they were discounting the used Vox AD60VT they had there for a couple of months. Sure enough, it was on this list. I went immediately to it and it still had the original $499 price tag on it, but the sheet said $399. I flagged down a sales guy and asked him what the actual price was. He told me it was the display AD60VTX that was going for $399.

Okay...I asked them if they would take $300 for the USED AD60VT - mind you, the display was the upgraded version, this one was the older version, and USED!

He came back after five minutes of doing whatever but he said they couldn't sell it for any less as they "had too much into it" already. They'd take a loss. Whatever. I walked on a looked at other stuff thinking about it then I approached the sales guy again. I said, can I talk to your manager because the used amp had been there for a few months, it wasn't getting any newer, and it didn't make sense that they sell the used one for more than the new one anyway. He said he couldn't go less than $450.

I ended up buying the display VTX and a VC12 which they marked down $50.

That amp is still there and still not getting any newer: http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/details.cfm?listId=104123400

Truth is, I'm glad I ended up with the VTX version rather than the used one, but what's the {censored}ing reasoning behind keeping a used, older version amp jacked up as much or as higher than what you can get a newer, better model? It's not like the speaker is made of gold or anything....

• Members

Sounds like the GC in Springfield,NJ

• Members

I don't get it. If you don't like Guitar Center or the people that work there, why do you go into it in the first place? Why go in and spend money there to support their business if you think their business is crap?

I really don't get GC sucks threads because they don't do anything to actually change the fact that the GC near you sucks.

[/rant]

A lot of the people at GC are people like me, 19 year old kids who play guitar who want to work there for the summer or whatever, but they aren't really that qualified to do the job. They know how to go chugga chugga and whatnot, but they wouldn't know the difference between mahogany and alder if it smacked them in the face and danced naked in front of em. It's just a fact of life.

• Members

For what it's worth: Four AA batteries are not the equivalent of a single 9V battery electronically. The 4 AA batteries provide more amps....which is why they take up more space and weight. A car battery is only 12 volts but don't expect eight flashlight batteries to start your car. Amps is the difference.

• Members

So am i understanding that you basically just butted in to annoy the dude? To challenge his being vs your own? Not to defend GC but I'm not sure what exactly your point or mission was here.

I understood it thus:

:idk:

• Members

I dunno.

I like hanging out at GC to kill time...it's only 3 miles away and right next to barnes and noble/starbucks.

I just make sure they know to leave me the {censored} alone. by now they know me, and I've bought a guitar and a cab from there, so they don't pester me...

• Members

Breaking News: Retail guitar store has sales reps that don't know everything.
:rolleyes:

This is nothing unique to guitar center. You can find problems with anyone at any store about anything.

Sure I have seen sky-high prices on gear at GCs before. Byt I have also gotten my fair share of great deals too. (can you say Keeley ts9 for 70 bucks) Its all what you want to make of it. If you go in looking for a problem, you will find what you are looking for. I don't see the big deal.

Word.

~Blackbelt

• Members

A lot of the people at GC are people like me, 19 year old kids who play guitar who want to work there for the summer or whatever, but they aren't really that qualified to do the job. They know how to go chugga chugga and whatnot, but they wouldn't know the difference between mahogany and alder if it smacked them in the face and danced naked in front of em. It's just a fact of life.

I have no problem with stupidity or just plain old innocent ignorance with the counter guys because it is just a high school kid, but anytime that we are talking about MY MONEY, then if something is fishy or just plain bull{censored} I have problems. I'm sorry, but a company as big as GC should be able to provide a certain level of faith inducing customer satisfaction. I have had kids try to charge me 20% more on a case of strings after I gave them that damn 10% off letter. That isn't an honest mistake or something, it is someone trying to make commission. He then tried to tell me that I was mistaken until I told him that the manager quoted me the price 2 days before. Only reason why I waited 2 days was because I had planned on buying a new tele as well, but got a better price online.

• Members

flingthepoo is talking to another GC customer about the VG strat

OK - my bad. I understood it that GC employee was talking to customer, and flingthepoo steps in to ask additional questions and offer additional input. my bad.

• Members

I was just in one that had the 60th ann tele nicely displayed on the wall. However, I discovered the neck p/u was dead. Told the dude, he thanked me, said it was probably an easy fix. Kinda makes me realize you need to fully check out any guitar there before plunking down your dollars. Also gotta wonder; if the p/u's fried will they replace it with same? I mean, who's to know?

• Members

I dunno.

I like hanging out at GC to kill time...it's only 3 miles away and right next to barnes and noble/starbucks.

I just make sure they know to leave me the {censored} alone. by now they know me, and I've bought a guitar and a cab from there, so they don't pester me...

are you talking about the one in Appleton, WI?

• Members

I was just in one that had the 60th ann tele nicely displayed on the wall. However, I discovered the neck p/u was dead. Told the dude, he thanked me, said it was probably an easy fix. Kinda makes me realize you need to fully check out any guitar there before plunking down your dollars. Also gotta wonder; if the p/u's fried will they replace it with same? I mean, who's to know?

I use this to my advantage sometimes.

Less than knowledgable sales guy + slightly broken (but easily fixable) problem on used gear = cheaper price.

• Members
Sounds a little like my Memorial Day experience. I went that day to see if they were discounting the used Vox AD60VT they had there for a couple of months. Sure enough, it was on this list. I went immediately to it and it still had the original $499 price tag on it, but the sheet said $399. I flagged down a sales guy and asked him what the actual price was. He told me it was the display AD60VTX that was going for $399.

Okay...I asked them if they would take $300 for the USED AD60VT - mind you, the display was the upgraded version, this one was the older version, and USED!

He came back after five minutes of doing whatever but he said they couldn't sell it for any less as they "had too much into it" already. They'd take a loss. Whatever. I walked on a looked at other stuff thinking about it then I approached the sales guy again. I said, can I talk to your manager because the used amp had been there for a few months, it wasn't getting any newer, and it didn't make sense that they sell the used one for more than the new one anyway. He said he couldn't go less than $450.

I ended up buying the display VTX and a VC12 which they marked down $50.

That amp is still there and still not getting any newer:

Truth is, I'm glad I ended up with the VTX version rather than the used one, but what's the {censored}ing reasoning behind keeping a used, older version amp jacked up as much or as higher than what you can get a newer, better model? It's not like the speaker is made of gold or anything....

They must be on crack or something as you can get a brand new Vox AD60VTX for $ 500 since they are discontinued.

Archived