why buy warmoth and not some ebay body?

sheepeH

• Members

Im planning on making my own custom guitar in lefty.

most of the guitar bodies available at left in ebay are sold by EDEN brand. 2 pieces of alder, sometimes 1. looks pretty much ok. they cost 26$ unfinished and 55$ in a variety of colors with poly coating. why should I invest 200$+ not including paintjob on a warmoth body? is it that better wood?

• Members

most of the guitar bodies available at left in ebay are sold by EDEN brand. 2 pieces of alder, sometimes 1. looks pretty much ok. they cost 26$ unfinished and 55$ in a variety of colors with poly coating. why should I invest 200$+ not including paintjob on a warmoth body? is it that better wood?

Yes.

Musikraft and USACG are two very viable alternatives (I believe Jamerson or something similar offers pre-made MusiKraft bodies).

A couple pics of a one-piece swamp ash warmoth finished body:

Picture013.jpg

Picture007.jpg

Picture010.jpg

• Members

Warmoth is better quality. But, based on your info, Warmoth is 9 times the price of this ebay source. I doubt that Warmoth is 9 times the quality of what you have found on ebay. However, to some people, the extra cost of the Warmoth is worth it to get top quality.

• Members

If all you want is a traditional body with traditional, then are are some great lower price alternatives. The benefit of Warmoth and the similarly priced USACG and Musikraft are that you can get it made your way.

• Members

Some of the cheap bodies on ebay, in addition to being cheaper, heavier wood, are NOT ready-to-finish, as the Warmoths are. They will require more than just a little 'light sanding'... Been there. You may also have an issue with tolerances, in terms of how things fit. My ebay body got a fully custom pickguard... but not only because a stock one wouldn't fully cover the rout holes.

there are generally good reasons why some things are cheap, and some things are expensive. If you want to spend the time to 'fix' the cheap stuff (squier guitars, anyone), you can get something really nice at a good price. But some people would rather not f@ck with it, and just pay someone else to do all the detail work.

• Members

Some of the cheap bodies on ebay, in addition to being cheaper, heavier wood, are NOT ready-to-finish, as the Warmoths are. They will require more than just a little 'light sanding'... Been there. You may also have an issue with tolerances, in terms of how things fit. My ebay body got a fully custom pickguard... but not only because a stock one wouldn't fully cover the rout holes.

there are generally good reasons why some things are cheap, and some things are expensive. If you want to spend the time to 'fix' the cheap stuff (squier guitars, anyone), you can get something really nice at a good price. But some people would rather not f@ck with it, and just pay someone else to do all the detail work.

what gtrjones said is correct. you will likely spend more money on prep work than the body itself. those Eden bodies are great for testing out finishes and practicing.

• Members

Link? :wave:

• Moderators

Hmmmm, up until very recently I have been a Warmoth fanboy, however I am just in the priocess of getting a Tele together with a Mighty Mite body in vintage white and I gotta say dimension wise it's as good as you can expect, the finish is superb, although I had to lick the neck pocket with the router to remove the paint, it's going with a Mighty Mite neck which will be here early next week, so I'll check out the quality then, but I'm lucky enough to be able to do my own fretwork, so I'll be refretting it with stainless frets, so it'll be down to the detail. I have enough Warmoth necks here to compare it against so it should be interesting. But to the OP, I'd go ahead with your Eden Project and see how it turns out.

But when you build a Warmoth you end up with a guitar that IMO if paired with the correct hardware and electronics will give you the finest guitar available to mere men.

• Members

With a bolt-on, tight and consistent specs are what it's all about. I assembled a Warmoth/USACG Tele and the neck was super tight in the body. They stay together and can be lifted off the ground without any bolts in whatsoever. This is what a bolt-on should be. You won't get that from Fender, and I suspect you won't get that from this Eden company. I suspect you won't find grain like this either.

tele_body-bk.jpg

• Members

The wood is probably fine for solid colors. What may be of question is how well they CNCed the neck pocket, and all the routing. I notice one reviewer was not to happy about the quality.

• Members

Hmmmm, up until very recently I have been a Warmoth fanboy, however I am just in the priocess of getting a Tele together with a Mighty Mite body in vintage white and I gotta say dimension wise it's as good as you can expect, the finish is superb, although I had to lick the neck pocket with the router to remove the paint, it's going with a Mighty Mite neck which will be here early next week, so I'll check out the quality then, but I'm lucky enough to be able to do my own fretwork, so I'll be refretting it with stainless frets, so it'll be down to the detail. I have enough Warmoth necks here to compare it against so it should be interesting. But to the OP, I'd go ahead with your Eden Project and see how it turns out.

But when you build a Warmoth you end up with a guitar that IMO if paired with the correct hardware and electronics will give you the finest guitar available to mere men.

The only parts necks that I have had in that have had consistent varying issues are WD necks (incorrect dimensions, twisted wood, soft wood, etc). I hate All-Parts necks, but that is only because I need to re-fret them right away because they bevel the fret ends too much for my tastes. Mighty Mite necks are good. Body-wise, the best bang for my buck is All-Parts, but that is only because I get dealer cost.

• Moderators

Stew-Mac's house brand necks (the paddleheads) are nitro finished, have D/A truss rods and excellent fretwork. I think they're a bargain, myself.

Larry

I will try one of those Larry, but, and I know it's silly Stew Macs dont have thr little walnut plugs, and thats also the reason I won't buy a USACG neck.

The paddle heads have a heel adjust TR yes?

Archived