What does Guitar Center usually offer for used equipment?

freemusicno34

• Members

What do you think guitar center would offer me for a used Peavey Raptor Plus, Line 6 Spider 212, and a digitech GNX3? everything is in good condition.

Is selling to guitar center a good idea? What do they usually offer for used equipment? I'd be willing to eat some profit for the ease of selling somewhere close to home immediately, but if it's unreasonably low then I'll try my luck on ebay or craigslist or whatever

• Members

I have actually talked to several GC employees about this, and I believe this is the honest answer. Go to ebay, find the average price that your gear sells for ON ebay, and GC will give you about 50% of that. That's exactly what they told me, and it wound up being true (for what it's worth, i sold on ebay, and made more than I paid for the item). They will actually look for your item on eBay before telling you what they'll give you.

• Members

About Half of what they will sell it for. However if they are Hot items you may get a little more than half and if they arent good movers they may offer you less than Half. Youll get more on Craigslist,Ebay or the boards than GC. But you may have too wait longer for the sales.

GC is quite criminal on some of their trade in offers IMO and why I stay away.

• Members

I have to agree with what people are saying so far. I've sold a few things recently, and I know I got about half the selling price. I really didn't expect more, and the only reason I didn't sell direct was because I have a strong E-bay phobia when it comes to larger items. For the stuff you were describing, you could probably do an Ebay sale fairly easily and get more money.

• Members

I have had several employees at my Guitar Center say that they actually offer 1/2 of their new cost on items that they sell. That policy seems to be in line with what I have seen offered.

You are better off selling here, Craigslist, ebay, pretty much anywhere. Heck, you might even get more at a yard sale than what they will offer you.

• Members

I took some stuff in there and they told me flat out the same thing, sell it on E-Bay. They offered $200 for two guitars and I ended up making $475 on them both and they were still what I considered to be reasonable prices and both guys were happy as hell with what they got.

Sell it, everyone comes out a winner.

• Members

I traded two speaker cabinets in to GC when I bought my brother's bass. I certainly could have got more for them if I had sold them privately or put them on ebay, but I didn't need the hassle of advertising, getting phone calls, having people come over to check them out, etc. For me, getting rid of them in a trade worked out satisfactorily.

• Members

I have actually talked to several GC employees about this, and I believe this is the honest answer. Go to ebay, find the average price that your gear sells for ON ebay, and GC will give you about 50% of that. That's exactly what they told me, and it wound up being true (for what it's worth, i sold on ebay, and made more than I paid for the item). They will actually look for your item on eBay before telling you what they'll give you.

Thats what the manager at my local GC said too. He also said 'Sell it on Ebay, chances are, you'll get more".

• Members

The only items I'd sell to GC would be items that I wouldn't want to ship because they are serverly oversized and overweight (e.g. amp cabinets), and then only if I didn't want to be bothered to sell them myself locally.

Well, there is one other case. When an item has a flaw that is not immediately apparent...you could try to pass it off on GC instead of selling it and having it come back from an irate buyer...

• Members

Because GC has been bought (or soon wiil be), they need to call the corporate office when buying any gear.

I was told that they're only taking "certain" things. Even if they offer you anything for your gear, don't expect much. It's more like you're giving your gear away.

I brought in my Legend Superlead 50 Halfstack and Agile Valkyrie to the GC in Springfield, NJ last week to see if I can make a trade for a $675.00 used Am Std Tele....no go.

The salesman was frustrated by corporate's attitude. He said he could make me an offer but....:rolleyes:.

• Members

What do you think guitar center would offer me for a used Peavey Raptor Plus, Line 6 Spider 212, and a digitech GNX3? everything is in good condition.

Is selling to guitar center a good idea? What do they usually offer for used equipment? I'd be willing to eat some profit for the ease of selling somewhere close to home immediately, but if it's unreasonably low then I'll try my luck on ebay or craigslist or whatever

GC will give you a {censored} deal. Try Craiglist.

• Members

+1 for selling it on ebay. It might be a little more work but it will pay off in the end. Example yesterday I went to gamestop to sell a game I only played once and had just paid $50 a month before. And they only offered me $8 for it! But they sell it for $34 used. So I put it up on ebay last night and it's already up to $18.

Archived