what string gauge do you guys have on your strats?

ThisIsOurMusic

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I like mine with 10s best. I'm thinking about throwing some 11s on a modded Squier I have lying around to see what that feels like.

It's completely personal preference though - a good player will sound good on any string gauge. My rule of thumb is play the gauge that feels the best and is easiest for you to play on...the better you play the better your tone will be.

• Members

i was reading... something and it said that most people like to string strats with 9s, which made me think. i've never put 9s on my strat and was wondering if you guys use?

I personally like the Fender Super-Bullet 9's. They sound great, and last quite a while.

• Members

After years of using nothing but .010s, I recently got a Tele that came with .011s. Loved the tone so much I'm now using .011s on almost all my guitars.

Heavier strings are a bit more difficult to play on, but not as much as you would think. It takes a little getting used to, but you do get used to it.

Of course, it also depends on your playing style, If your playing demands lighter strings for a light touch, then heavier strings wont work. Conversely, I beat the hell out of the things, so a .009 set is way too floppy for me.

• Members

10-52 (Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom set or equivalent gauge in other brands when the store's out of Ernie's) for Strat, Tele and all other regular-tuned guitars.

12-54 for the open A- or open E-tuned slide guitars.

Archived