What's in your garage?

• Members

Ok, so I thought that retirement was going to be all fun and music, but my wife has been making me clean out closets and the garage for a week :( I had to finally ask myself, why am I storing all this crap:

A set of power line insulators lg%20ceramic%20screw.JPG

Old mechanical lawn sprinker timers that have long since been replaced with a digital model. One didn't even work.

An aquarium, fish bowl and assorted filters and accessories... Haven't messed with fish in 25 years.

A bird cage... ditto the fish.

About a hundred diskettes that were maked "Erase and reuse"... yeah, reuse for what?

And that's just the beginning!

So what haven't you been able to part with?

• Members

Other than yard, home, auto care necessities, cleaners & fertilizers & etc., my gig gear, guitar projects, un-installed wood flooring, (in process) my gargage music system, phone and some camping gear, Crap. Just plain crap. I go through the shelves and boxes now and again and discard or sell off what I find that I haven't used in years. Another session is coming up in the near future

ironic, in my case, the truth of that old adage about never needing something until you get rid of it. It's amazing how many times in the past I've finally gotten rid of something that's been stored for years and often moved several times and had a need for it within a couple of days of gaining that bit of space realized by getting rid of that thing, what ever it was.

Oh, some examples....

Magnetic proximity switches.

Air system filters, regulators, connections, deflectors & other goods.

Old automotive and truck service manuals for vehicles I never intend on owning again, or working on for that matter.

Old unused oil and air filters and other parts that go with those same vehicles the manuals did.

Old lamps, lighting fixtures and other electrical parts and gear. (Some I will keep, switches, outlets, GFIs & etc.

Expired disaster preparation kits.

:rolleyes::freak:

• Members

We have a small construction project (remodeling a room) about to commence.

I'm getting a 5c.u. dumpster, and tossing years' worth of accumulated crap. Old sheetrock that was not used and has deteriorated, scraps of wood, empty boxes, old screens, it's all going.

You wouldn't think you'd acquire that much junk in 8 years of house ownership.

• Members

Well, my wife and I have an assortment of things...

A Thermos gas grill

My wife's old furniture(passed down from 4 generations)

A large freezer

Lawn mower

A snowblower

some pressure treated wood left over from work done on the porch

Two gas containers

• Members

Our garage is clean. We have necessary yard tools hanging in orderly fashion on the walls, you know, ladders and rakes and such. We need to fit two vehicles in there and I'm not giving up floor space to crap. I'll haul it out to the dumps if it's left there.

My workshop is a clutterf**k of tools and nuts and bolts and pieces of wood and various other clutter that rarely get used but we keep them because "you just never know". :D

The attics above the garage and workshop are filled with seasonal storage such as Christmas gear, etc.

Then we have a storage shed that houses my lawn mower, snow blower, etc.

Sound organized? Well sounds can be deceiving. ;)

• CMS Author

Lathe, band saw, radial arm saw, shelves of stuff that I don't need any more, that doesn't work, but was too expensive to throw away or sell on eBay (the house has more of this), bags of charcoal, a retired gas grill (that needs a new burner and new grills, but was too expensive to throw away), workbench with car tools, a refrigerator that no longer works, that I think still has some beer in it left over from my housewarming party in 1980 (is there a market for unopened cans of Old Heurich? - can you sell beero on eBay?), oh - and a car.

• Members

Originally posted by MikeRivers

(is there a market for unopened cans of Old Heurich?)

Old Heurich? That's one I've never tried. Sounds like a German beer. I spend a couple years in Germany. Drank many a warm beer, but don't remember Old Heurich.

• Members

Originally posted by Jeff Leites

Ok, so I thought that retirement was going to be all fun and music, but my wife has been making me clean out closets and the garage for a week
:(
I had to finally ask myself, why am I storing all this crap:

A set of power line insulators
lg%20ceramic%20screw.JPG

Old mechanical lawn sprinker timers that have long since been replaced with a digital model. One didn't even work.

An aquarium, fish bowl and assorted filters and accessories... Haven't messed with fish in 25 years.

A bird cage... ditto the fish.

About a hundred diskettes that were maked "Erase and reuse"... yeah, reuse for what?

And that's just the beginning!

So what haven't you been able to part with?

Air. Where the Mustang Cobra used to be.:cry:

• Members

Lessee...

A '55 Ford truck a buddy of my son's is storing 'til he can restore it.

A 2000 Trans Am w/ram air that we don't drive often...only in the summer.

A John Deere 727 zero-turn-radius mower

A chainsaw, weedwacker and blower.

My weight set.

A Century heavy bag hanging from the rafters.

Assorted music gear (old empty speaker cabs and such) in various states of disrepair.

A fridge with a few Sam Adams stouts in it.

An old couch and a TV...some odds and ends my son is storing.

An air compressor and a rollunder hydraulic jack, and some ramps.

Assorted tools.

Fold up tables and chairs.

• Members

The garage?

Hmmm....

Two cars.

Chest Freezer.

Refrigerator.

Two cords or so of firewood.

17' boat & trailer.

5 bicycles.

Baby stroller.

John Deere lawn tractor.

Gardening implements of destruction.

Several lawn chairs.

Camping gear.

Several extra LP tanks for the grill.

Some extra carpeting.

Miscellaneous car stuff and other crap.

A couple of years ago, I got fed up with the disorganization in the garage and did something about it. A good friend of mine is the district manager for Radio Shack and he told me about a store that was being remodeled. I hit up the store manager for all of their old slot-wall, pegs, shelf brackets and shelving and after insulating, hung the slot-wall inside my garage. I put up shelving standards at each stud and now have a very nice looking (OK, it looks like an old Radio Shack) garage. My goal was to keep as much off of the floor as possible so now just about everything is either pegged or on a shelf. The best part? The total project cost me less than $200 for the shelf standards, 6 shop lights, screws, electrical (I put in an extra half-dozen outlets) and insulation. Everything else was gratis.

If you're ambitious, and you've got a Radio Shack closing or being remodeled in your area, it might pay to get to know your local store manager. :)

• Members

Our area has a junk pickup every spring where you can just pile stuff up on the street and they'll get it. Just went through our old garage and got a bunch out but there's still tons of stuff in there.

An old coal bin about 1/3 rd full of coal.

several bikes

a bench seat out of an old van that's long gone.

A bunch of vinyl siding I haven't installed yet on the garage.

Old furniture and appliances.

An old JBL 1-15" cab.

Boxes and boxes of stuff from when my sweetie's breakup occoured years ago.

lawn mower, blower, chain saw, weed whacker, rotor tiller.

bags of aluminum cans.

hoes rakes etc.

4 sets of scaffolding.

Part of my old light show.

An old rusted push mower.

etc.

• CMS Author
Originally posted by bbach

Old Heurich? That's one I've never tried. Sounds like a German beer.

It was an old local Washington DC brand. They just closed the brewery recently. It was the "premium" version of National Bohemian, the beer of choice (because thta's all you could by at the stadium) at Washington Senators baseball games.

Archived