Funny (odd) thing overheard in GC today.

Treborklow

• Members

I was at GC today and I was looking in the guitar/amp isle, I overheard a salesguy tell a customer "... yea, I don't care what anyone says, this amp is the BEST sounding amp in the whole store". I glanced over to see which amp he was praising and it was that little $99 5 watt Epi with the one knob sitting on some bottom in a line of all these expensive Marshall type stacks with various names on them.

I was surprised. What do you all think? Is that little amp that good?

• Members

If you're talking about the Valve Jr, I think it's a great sounding amp especially considering the price, but there's no way it's the best sounding amp in a GC. The guy was probably just trying to make a sale. I guess he could really like it that much.....

• Members
If you're talking about the Valve Jr, I think it's a great sounding amp especially considering the price, but there's no way it's the best sounding amp in a GC. The guy was probably just trying to make a sale. I guess he could really like it that much.....

I don't know what the deal was...the customer was already trying out some high wattage stack, could have been a Marshall of some type. While the buyer was playing through the big amp, the salesguy gave his opinion of the $99 one. Seemed stupid to me too at the time. Why talk a guy out of a thousand dollar amp and into a hundred dollar one? :freak:

• Members
this is kinda noobish, but i thought the GC employees got a straight salary. do they really get commission??

Hourly vs. Comission payscale. I think. Could be wrong.

If he is pushing this amp to this type of player, he's prolly getting a spiff. Marshall uses this type of incentive for their salespeople. Maybe Epiphone has done the same?

I can't imagine a situation where an un-seasoned beginner would see the value of this amp.

People who start playing guitar start with a POS and a Peavy Bandit.

It's the way the world works.

:thu:
:wave:

• Members

What could be the commission on a Valve Junior vs. a Marshall Stack?

I'm thinking the sales guy was just a high school kid who doesn't know {censored} about amps.

I don't think it would be a situation like that, more like someone willing to spend $100, or nothing at all.

• Members

I don't think it would be a situation like that, more like someone willing to spend $100, or nothing at all.

To some consumers, an old used guitar that his cousin gave him and a $100 amp is all they ever want...he probably knows two songs, has been practicing on a third for several years...and he plays all three songs for all his kin every summer at the family picnic. I imagine there are many players like that around.

Some of you guys are professionals (or nearly so) and won't settle for less than a $1,500 guitar with an amp to match.

Most of us are in between.

That's why they the manufacturers make so many different amps and guitars I suppose. :)

• Members

If he is pushing this amp to this type of player, he's prolly getting a spiff. Marshall uses this type of incentive for their salespeople. Maybe Epiphone has done the same?

I can't imagine a situation where an un-seasoned beginner would see the value of this amp.

Hourly+commission+QUOTAS! Also, from what I have been told, no one gets 40 hours a week, everyone is considered part time.

I have also heard of employees being let go, due to low sales.

• Members

Ohhhhh - I dunno. I started w/ a Fender Stratocaster & a Vox AD30VT.

• Members

I was at GC today and I was looking in the guitar/amp isle, I overheard a salesguy tell a customer "... yea, I don't care what anyone says, this amp is the BEST sounding amp in the whole store". I glanced over to see which amp he was praising and it was that little $99 5 watt Epi with the one knob sitting on some bottom in a line of all these expensive Marshall type stacks with various names on them.

I was surprised. What do you all think? Is that little amp that good?

I own one. It is an "ok" amp. Nothing special really. Decent for the price. It is NOT (imo) a tone monster of an amp.

• Members

Hey man the PV bandit is a cool amp:mad::):cool:

• Members

Yep, once a salesman thinks he knows your limit he will find a product that costs that amount and tell you just how great it is...

That's why I drive them crazy over there. I can afford about anything I want, but I don't choose to spend above my ability....

Archived