SG 3 Sunburst $799 now

studdhuss

• Members

Dang, that's a pretty darn good price considering that is the Limited Edition GOW (week 21) and it's $150 off.

http://www.fqms.com/Gibson_GOW_SG3_Fireburst_Li_P22977C2738.cfm

Luckily for me, I think I can resist. I have the SG Classic and something about a single coil SG doesn't grab me. If I hadn't just bought the dual pickup MM, I might go for it, certainly, that would be a better investment than two Melody Makers. :D

• Members

When I first saw those I thought, "Great, Strat sounds with an SG neck and feel." Wrong. None of the great single coil sounds you think of on a Strat and definitely thinner than even P-90's. The worst of both worlds.

This SG = Fail.

I don't see them that negative. Perhaps my ears are off, but I see them more like 1) no quack, 2) no twang, 3) but jingle ... in other words, not a great solo instrument, but good for that background thin sound (arpeggios, single picked notes) that is more difficult to get with P-90s, even if you turn them down. In my mind this guitar has a place in the mix but it is not hogging the spotlight. Can you get the sound with a strat or with a tele - I guess so, but then the SG feels just so comfy and I particularly like the natural satin finish of mine on the neck.

So this should not be your first or second guitar ... but if you have a few, I think it has its place ...

Archived