I'm a Gibson Les Paul VM Fan Boy now

curseoftruth

• Members
:D

LPStudiowBFG004.jpg

What is the switch in the place of the volume knob? I've seen this on other LP's and only think one thing....Coil Tap Switch?

Enlighten Me.

That's the pickup selector. Where the pickup selector normally is, that is now a kill switch on the BFGs. Kinda silly, but I don't mind cuz I can do just fine with one tone knob.

• Members

I just played one at a local shop... the frets were just at the point of sticking out but had taken the wood with them. The sides of the fretboard were wavy.

Sounds like the wood shrunk, seems to be an issue in some areas, but this is the first I have heard of it happening on a Gibson. I hear about it all the time on guitars traveling from overseas.

But yeah, it took me a few weeks looking around in the local area to find one that hadn't been beaten to {censored} or had a few issues. I was looking at the nicer LP's, but they had their own issues or sounded weak compared to the VM. I also really narrowed my options due to wanting the 50's style neck, I like some meat on there. I sold a nice LP copy because of the thin profile after playing a 50's. That was what put me in full frontal GAS mode.

I ended up paying close to retail (and I forgot about tax until it was rung up), but I got one that had just come out of the box and was exactly what I wanted. It was worth paying and getting out the door because of the condition. Out of 8-10 in the area it was the only worth full price. I've also heard stories about rattling because of the chambers. I got lucky on that one, I didn't even know about that before I bought it.

I know that out here they seemed to be everyone's favorite demo guitar, they were all over the store, had tons of bucklerash, dead strings, boogie boogars, whatever.

Archived