ASCAP Royalties question

Kramerguy

• Members

A royalty check came in, for usage (Jan-March, 2009) for something like 20 seconds of total use, by the Today Show (cool)

So, if a check just came in from usage 6+ months ago, is there any way to find out more recent-current usage(s), just to know what's going on? It would be so nice to say "yea, catch our music on xXxx's show wed the 15th" or something thereabouts

• Members

Sounds like you got your publishers pmt for Q1 2009. You'll get another one mid Oct for your writers pmt on this too. You'd probably want to ask whoever placed this song on that show to follow. A Cuesheet should have been filed with ASCAP, even though you haven't been paid on it yet. You should be able to search ACE on the web and see if they've filed it yet. I'm lucky that the TV company I compose for forwards me all my cuesheets usually just before it airs. Some production companies aren't as on top of it.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

I saw this post and figured I'd ask, is it mornal for there to be such a wait from the time a song is used. What is the normal time from when a song is used till the time an artist sees some royalties?

My daughter has had some of her material used and we are still waiting for royalties so I was just curious.

• Members

I saw this post and figured I'd ask, is it mornal for there to be such a wait from the time a song is used. What is the normal time from when a song is used till the time an artist sees some royalties?

My daughter has had some of her material used and we are still waiting for royalties so I was just curious.

It's usually quarterly.

Is she registered with ASCAP or BMI, not just as the writer, but each song registered as well? They can't pay you if they can't find you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Good rule of thumb is that any airings of your music, figure you'll get paid 6 months after the quarter ending they played in. Example, on the Oct 2009 writers distribution that just occured, I got paid for all my plays from Jan-Mar 2009 time frame. This is just the US. Overseas airings expect about 12-18 months after they play, which usually are very small royalty amounts from each country.

• Members

All the ASCAP ACE will tell you is if the song/track has been registered with ASCAP. It won't tell you if it was actually placed.

Check with your publisher, though often they won't know till after the fact. One other possibility; ask your publisher if he has and can make you a dvd copy of the footage your music was used in.

Best, John :)

Archived