Lexicon MX200 - Anybody use it?

philbo

• Members

Hi,

I was considering buying it as I like the Lexicon reverb sound and I also wanted to off load my processor a bit. The problem when using it as a VST plug-in is that it doesn't really work like a plug in.

Yes, you can edit it as a plug-in but the audio signal is not routed through the USB interface. You need to hook up the MX200 using some extra ins and outs on your sound card. That could probably be OK for some people but not for me as I only have stereo in/out on my sound card.

I'm waiting for the product that works like a TC PowerCore. Maybe I should just get the power core? It's 4 times more expensive but could be worth it.

Cheers,

Mats N

• Members
Originally posted by Mats Nermark

Maybe I should just get the power core?

Actually, the new TC Konnect FW audio interface is cheaper and comes with a bascic set of DSP(reverb/EQ/Comp etc.),and I believe the DSP is represented by VST, but I'm not positive.

• Members

Originally posted by Alndln2

Actually, the new TC Konnect FW audio interface is cheaper and comes with a bascic set of DSP(reverb/EQ/Comp etc.),and I believe the DSP is represented by VST, but I'm not positive.

Hi,

I was at the press conference where TC unveiled the Konnect FW and I found out that you can only use one instance of the plug in set, i.e. one reverb and one voice channel. These are the only effects available at this time.

Cheers,

Mats N

• Members

Originally posted by Mats Nermark

Hi,

I was considering buying it as I like the Lexicon reverb sound and I also wanted to off load my processor a bit. The problem when using it as a VST plug-in is that it doesn't really work like a plug in.

Yes, you can edit it as a plug-in but the audio signal is not routed through the USB interface. You need to hook up the MX200 using some extra ins and outs on your sound card. That could probably be OK for some people but not for me as I only have stereo in/out on my sound card.

I'm waiting for the product that works like a TC PowerCore. Maybe I should just get the power core? It's 4 times more expensive but could be worth it.

Cheers,

Mats N

I can see how that would be a problem for you...

I use all analog ins & outs, and so have unused SP/DIF channels on my audio interface, which (I think) the Lexicon can use.

I wouldn't normally want to give up 2 inputs and 2 outputs either, but since they're sitting there anyway....

It WOULD be a lot cooler if the audio were squirted through the USB cable along with the control data... Whether USB or SP/DIF, it's all digital anyway, right?

I'm kind of wondering if I might be better off with an EMU DSP card... but it would still be nice to use the unit live; the EMU wouldn't work too hot without a PC to plug into.

The other thing I was thinking of was having reverb/delay for tracking use. I've been recording demo CDs for some young bands with inexperienced vocalists, and a bit of 'wet' in the headphones really helps with the confidence factor...

I really don't want to use plugins for that due to DAW latency. It works, but is difficult to control. For example, if you want a 5 mSec flange, but the card latency is already 5 mSec, it's a 'no can do' scenario.

JoTown - - Thanks for the link, will check it out. :thu:

Thanks to all for the comments so far!

• Members

excerpted

Originally posted by philbo

I'm kind of wondering if I might be better off with an EMU DSP card... but it would still be nice to use the unit live; the EMU wouldn't work too hot without a PC to plug into.

The EMU cards represent a good value for i/o, but I'm not knocked out by the onboard DSP implementation. I think that it can make samples more interesting (which was probably their design objective) but I have never been tempted to put them on top of anything important.

Originally posted by MorePaul

A member of the design team used to show uphere occasionally, can't remember who - but we ould prob figure it out

It was audioguru. I won't list his real name, but I know that too. Seems like a decent bloke. :)

Craig and I were both going to do reviews of the unit, but that never happened. I'd still be interested in checking one out though - I like the VST editing and control of a hardware processor concept. :)

• Members

Originally posted by spokenward

excerpted

The EMU cards represent a good value for i/o, but I'm not knocked out by the onboard DSP implementation. I think that it can make samples more interesting (which was probably their design objective) but I have never been tempted to put them on top of anything important.

Really? I'd always heard good stuff about their performance. What is it you don' t care for?

• Members

Originally posted by philbo

Really? I'd always heard good stuff about their performance. What is it you don' t care for?

I have a pretty high opinion of the hardware. It is a nicely spec'ed card that sounds just fine. It's well priced, too. I just haven't found the bundled effects to be that useful.

Specifically, the E-DSP suite:

E-DSP Hardware-accelerated Effects, Mixing and Monitoring:

E-MU's Digital Audio Systems feature the powerful E-DSP chipset, which features a hardware-accelerated effects processor with over 28 effects plug-ins (over 600 presets). This effects architecture is fully expandable, allowing you to add more effect plug-ins to your system as needed. E-DSP also provides zero-latency, hardware-based mixing and monitoring via the included PatchMix DSP mixer, delivering unmatched flexibility in routing audio between all of your physical and virtual (ASIO/WDM) inputs and outputs- no external mixer needed.

All Digital Audio Systems ship with the following Effects Plug-ins:

http://www.emu.com/products/product.asp?category=505&subcategory=491&product=9872

I like DSP and I like capable DSP chips on board. (I had a Quadra 840AV, too.) But unless people develop widely in support of a popular chip, DSP doesn't really deliver on the promise.

It's not an open standard, so nobody else is writing for it. It's not like the PowerCore or the UAD with ongoing development and updates. It just seems like marketing frosting that is not as good as the cake. I run a 1212m and an 0404. I've had the 1212m for 2 years today.

• Members

Thanks for the input.

I listened to some of their DSP MP3 samples and didn't really find them to be bad sounding or anything... (other than those that weren't recorded that well in the first place).

But you said "not useful" which, I suppose, is dependent on what you do and how you mix it. Regardless, thanks for the response.

• Members

My brother has the EMU 1820M. Neither of us like the onboard DSP much at all, in fact most included native plugins in most apps sound much better, they seem to have almost a lo fi quality to downright awful, not to mention the DSP chip has next to no power. I don't really like the way their implented either, a VST shell for the whole set which can be uneccesarily confusing to operate at times. I get the feeling that Creative was responsible for that end of the card. I guess they can be useful for tracking if you can get past the quality or the sometimes unstable nature of them. Other than that, the converters sound great for the money and the clock is pretty solid. The down side is it's a bit of a PCI hog and some chipsets might cause problems, and I don't like the idea of being stuck with the onboard FW which can't be disabled in case of chipset incompatibilities with other devices. If my brother had to do it all over again he would have chosen the new FW version, or a Pre Sonus or RME.

• Members

Originally posted by MorePaul

Apart from the I/O, systems integration stuff...what do you think of the actual quality of the processing?

Yeah, that is one aspect I was hoping to hear more about. Probably the most important one.

Archived