Popular, agathis, alder, ash and etc on strat and tele?

bluesrock70's

• Members

I'll tell, you may not believe this. But I had a Agathis body I used a few years back for a Partscaster for my son.

The Tele sounded very good. I was very surprized by it. I didn't really like the looks of the grain pattern. And it had a sort of GRAY look on parts.

But I didn't think it sounded to bad. And yes you could here the difference. But Agathis is suppose to retain tonal characteristics of Mahagany?

Any my favorite wood is ALDER, then after that Ash. As far as looks? I prefer the look of Ash over Alder. But the Alder just isn't as bright. I like that. But strickly an OPINION. And I would NOT go anywhere out of my way for Agathis.

• Members

The type of wood used to make an electric guitar is virtually irrelevant. Different woods make so very little difference to the sound that you might as well ignore it. It's the PU's and amplifier that count (and of course the different Volume, tone, effects, settings). The only time type of wood matters is on a natural finish guitar when you might prefer the appearance of one wood compared to another.

• Moderators

The type of wood used to make an electric guitar is virtually irrelevant.

Not true, some woods absorb sound and some reflect sound, which is why you'll get few electric guitars made from Oak, which in engineering circles is recognised as a great sound absorption material, ditto beech, go and make a guitar out of either of those and come back and make that statement:thu:

• Members

All mass-produced poplar guitars are made from tulip poplar, which is really a kind of magnolia. It is a great all-purpose wood, and you would be hard-pressed to tell the difference between poplar and alder. Many MIM strats used to be made of poplar, and they sound just fine. The main thing is, poplar is an ugly greenish color, so it works best with opaque finishes.

• Members

The type of wood used to make an electric guitar is virtually irrelevant. Different woods make so very little difference to the sound that you might as well ignore it. It's the PU's and amplifier that count (and of course the different Volume, tone, effects, settings). The only time type of wood matters is on a natural finish guitar when you might prefer the appearance of one wood compared to another.

Well, I have screwed around with making guitars enough in the last 22 years to know thats not quite so. Having made quite a few Telecaster's with the same neck and all hardware (only thing changed was the body wood) they did sound quite different using a variety of woods.

ALso, I have taken pickups from one guitar to the next more than once to again notice a completely different tone. The body wood has to have some contribution to this.

I will agree playing clean or mildy OD'n will show the most contrast while cranking the gain will probably show none or very little.

And some woods just are so close it probably doesnt matter at all (like poplar & alder, Ash & elm to name a few).

But to eliminate the body wood from the "whole" sound generating thing that is the guitar, is incorrect in my experience and opinion.

AJC

Archived