Popular, agathis, alder, ash and etc on strat and tele?

bluesrock70's

• Members

They're all fine woods apart from agathis, also add pine.

For me, nothing quite comes up to swamp ash

+1 for me too, evrything ash I've played has just had 'IT', even an Ash Les Paul I owned for a while.

I find Alder can be a little bland in comparison..

• Moderators

This is an interesting subject. Check out the guitar and the wood the guitar in this link was built with and listen to the clips of it. After that tell me what you think of different types of wood then.

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/telecaster-discussion-forum/77808-new-body-material-build-w-sound-clip.html

Sounds like particle board or summat?:confused:

• Moderators

That is exactly what it is and to me it sounds pretty damn good for a tele type of sound, tons of sustain.

Aaaah, when sustain is required it's Lester time, I always think of Teles as sorta twangy chord bitches, and you should try and lift a Tele made of MDF sometime:wave:

It's like heftin this bint

365px-HdeR.gif

• Members

Aaaah, when sustain is required it's Lester time, I always think of Teles as sorta twangy chord bitches, and you should try and lift a Tele made of MDF sometime:wave:

It's like heftin this bint

365px-HdeR.gif

HA HA I know what you mean about the weight. The dude in that thread did something to the inside of it to make it lighter. I think he just hollowed it out some. He claims it weighs less than 5 lbs.

• Moderators

Squire has now started making some of their bodies out of Indian Red Cedar(new budget tonewood?)..i wonder what the tonal characteristics of that are like....

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Vintage-Modified-Stratocaster-HSS-Electric-Guitar?sku=512573

Yes I noticed that a while, and I don't think it's the first time it's been used on instruments:)

• Members

The type of wood used to make an electric guitar is virtually irrelevant. Different woods make so very little difference to the sound that you might as well ignore it. It's the PU's and amplifier that count (and of course the different Volume, tone, effects, settings). The only time type of wood matters is on a natural finish guitar when you might prefer the appearance of one wood compared to another.

Man that statement is so wrong.

Even a different top on the guitar with same body wood and with the same HW can make a difference.

If you don't believe me listen to this...

Jim Soloway Spurce vs Limba top test

and that's just the top, a whole body is another story

;)

• Members

Man that statement is so wrong.

Even a different top on the guitar with same body wood and with the same HW can make a difference.

If you don't believe me listen to this...

Jim Soloway Spurce vs Limba top test

and that's just the top, a whole body is another story

;)

I think there's more to the equation - a "vibrational frequency" match between a body and neck that's not dependent on materials. That might be why there's been plenty of guitars made with premium parts that wind up sounding like duds and some guitars made with cheap materials that sound great.

• Members

I think there's more to the equation ...

Of course there is,.... just wanted to stres out that even top can make a difference. Neck wood, fretboard, angle of the neck, neck join, bridge, nut..... everything is important. Some things more than oters but it does affect the tone.

;)

Archived