The World Cup 2006 thread!

• Members

First game today. As a foreigner living in the US, I feel a little disenfranchised, but it looks like ESPN and ABC are going to have top notch coverage of it. Now I wish I had HDTV.

My country, Austria, did not qualify (surprise, surprise:rolleyes: ), so I'll be rooting for the USA. Hopefully they get the support from US fans, they are in a tough group (group E: USA, Ghana, Italy, Czech Republic). Monday will be their first game, today it starts off with Germany vs. Costa Rica. :thu:

Fun times ahead!

• Members

Here are my suggestions to improve soccer:

1. Coaches should be able to challenge a call with instant replay review like American

Football.

Yesterday, Argentina was robbed of a goal. The ball clearly passed the line and an instant replay review would have corrected a bad call.

Ending a game in a 0 0 draw is ridiculous, especially in a World Cup.

2. EVERY GAME SHOULD HAVE A WINNER.

3. After 90 minutes of running around, they should NOT be given more time

to run around, they should go directly to penalty kicks.

4. If the goalie stops a plenty kick, the ball should not be able to be kicked again.

5. In American football and basketball, a coach can take a player out and make

a substitution and later put that player back in the game. Soccer coaches should

be able to do the same.

• Members

Originally posted by Rique

1. Coaches should be able to challenge a call with instant replay review like American

Football.

Yesterday, Argentina was robbed of a goal. The ball clearly passed the line and an instant replay review would have corrected a bad call.

4. If the goalie stops a plenty kick, the ball should not be able to be kicked again.

a substitution and later put that player back in the game. Soccer coaches should

be able to do the same.

You sound like an ESPN executive. The history of US Soccer has proven that when we screw with the rules (free substitutions, that ridiculous shootout in the early days of MLS, the countdown clock, etc), we screw with the game, thus making it unwatchable. Can't we leave well enough alone?

The only change I can think of is finally cracking down on players getting slightly bumped and rolling around on the ground like they just got tasered. FIFA pays a lot of lip service to that, but they never do anything about it. Watch the replay of Arg/Ivory Coast and you'll see what I mean. The Pale Blues were shameful with that and the timewasting.

• Members

Football.

be able to do the same.

Some people really have no clue,.....

Football(yeah that's the name pf the game - not frikkin' soccer!) is good as it is. The rules are there and if you don't like it then don't watch.

• Members

Originally posted by LateGreats

The only change I can think of is finally cracking down on players getting slightly bumped and rolling around on the ground like they just got tasered. FIFA pays a lot of lip service to that, but they never do anything about it. Watch the replay of Arg/Ivory Coast and you'll see what I mean. The Pale Blues were shameful with that and the timewasting.

Speaking of time wasting, the ball is kicked out of bounds every 30 seconds,if not sooner.

The ball is rarely kept in play for more than One minute and 20 seconds. This constant stoppage of play really cuts the flow of the game, but that

• Members

Speaking of time wasting, the ball is kicked out of bounds every 30 seconds,if not sooner.

The ball is rarely kept in play for more than One minute and 20 seconds. This constant stoppage of play really cuts the flow of the game, but that

• Members

Originally posted by LateGreats

Do you know what else soccer needs? A play-by-play guy who knows nothing about the sport but can read the "touching stories" all day long, and the Tim McCarver-type "guy who played the game but can't tell you anything about it." Oh yeah we already have that...

Yeah, the American football announcers suck.

You know what else sucks, FIFA

• Members

I'd quite like to see the Americanised Soccertainment from the Budweiser ads (I'm sure they'll be on YouTube if you don't get them stateside), MULTIBALL PLAY!!!!!!!! :D

Ok, I'm not really interested (see sig.), but since I can't avoid it but I really don't want England to win, I've decided to support the USA (I think I may be exiled for this, but what the hell!!!). 2 reasons for this:

1. You're a country that prides itself on being patriotic to the point that it is a punishable offence not to have at least 3 flags flying on all property and cars at all times (kinda like over here at the moment :p ), plus you like to think of yourselves as a nation of sports buffs with world class teams, however, lets face it, you suck in international competition so have to name your local tournaments things like 'world series'. Yet when your national team does do well in a big world tournament, like the world cup (and ok, you may not win, but you've qualified for the final tournament, must count for something), no one there seems to give a rats ass?!?! That must be pretty depressing for your team playing in a major tournament on a world stage :(

2. Most importantly!!! If you guys win, the looks on everyones faces here will be priceless :D

Originally posted by Base

1. ... Yet when your national team does do well in a big world tournament, like the world cup (and ok, you may not win, but you've qualified for the final tournament, must count for something), no one there seems to give a rats ass?!?! That must be pretty depressing for your team playing in a major tournament on a world stage
:(

2. Most importantly!!! If you guys win, the looks on everyones faces here will be priceless
:D

+ 1

... and then I don't support Mexicos' team -if they win is ok, but they are not going beyond winning a couple of matches- ... I'm supporting Five times champions Brazil and my girldfriend's team, Argentina.

What is worse, I do not like football, but what the hell... it's World Cup days...

:)

• Members

Originally posted by Gus Lozada

What is worse, I do not like football, but what the hell... it's World Cup days...

Same here, but it's all anyone is talking about in my office and I don't want to sit in silence for a month :D

• Members

The only sporting event I try to watch on TV is the World Cup. I'm not especially rooting for any team - I just find the games interesting. The different styles of play - the unfolding strategy (or not!) - the uneven officiating :freak: ...

I am Tivo-ing games while I'm at work - I just hope I have enough time to keep up with them in the evenings.

I don't really care too much about most professional team sports, but I tend to get interested in the international "nation team" kind of stuff like the Olympics and the World Cup. So this is a fun kind of diversion for me.

• Members

I caught a lot of the Mexico-Iran match yesterday. Mexico won 3-1. Good. I saw this on Channel 7, as the announcers kept saying, "Don't forget to catch USA as they take on Czechloslovakia tomorrow...coverage begins at..." over. And over. And over. And over....

I don't watch football all that much, but I'd be happy if USA does well, and also Mexico and Ghana.

Also, I think that football is really catching on in a big way here in the U.S., with more coverage than before, both on TV and the newspaper. And when I got to work today, a lot of people were talking about some of the matches from the day before.

• Members

Originally posted by Gus Lozada

+ 1

... and then I don't support Mexicos' team -if they win is ok, but they are not going beyond winning a couple of matches- ... I'm supporting Five times champions Brazil and my girldfriend's team, Argentina.

The World Cup is the only time I watch Football.

I just saw the USA get their asses handed to them by the Czech Republic.

We were totally outclassed in terms of passing and possession.

Why didn

• Members

I dunno about the need to increase the "drama" - seems to have plenty already...all the people crammed into my local Salvadorean restaurant seem to be glued to every single move made in a game. Same with the people I hung out with in Ghana. Or a lot of the men and women at my work. But whatever, maybe what's "dramatic" to one person ain't to the next.

~~~~~~~~

I missed the USA-Czech game, but...the USA has a long way to go before matching a lot of these World Cup teams, but we'll keep improving as the sport becomes increasingly popular here (which it is *definitely* doing!! Look how many people are watching and talking about the World Cup this year!!!).

What currently needs some drama is the Heat/Mavs series....the Heat better step it up in a hurry or they're gonna be swept!!

• Members

Originally posted by UstadKhanAli

Awright, so dammit, let
someone else
win for a change!!!

Ah, that's easy: Argentina, Italy and Germany have plans of their own. We once got a surprise from France as well. Not to mention our ability to goof it up ourselves.

That's part of the beauty: You fool it up just for a second, and get all your previous hard work screwed pretty fast. Example at hand: Did you see the Ghanese defender kneeling on the grass after Italy's second goal this afternoon? That Ghanese guy is a top notch defender, and yet it only took a split second distraction on his part (as well as a knack for opportunity by the Italian attacker) to decide a match that was still being contested...

Archived