HDTV - Ralph Stanley's Legends of Country - Whoa

thankyou

• Members

Our main TV was losing it. It was over twelve years old and the flesh tones would frequently turn orange. So, we decided to pop some cash for our anniversary (25), and bought a 46" Samsung projection set that had an HDTV tuner built in. After giving our old set to a local charity, we cleaned the corner of ten years accumulation and set up the new silver colored silver anniversary box.

After figuring out where to plug in our sat receiver and using the auto channel select, I found that we had two of every local station, one standard broadcast and one HDTV. There were four PBS channels, though, one standard and three HDTV. Those alternate channels have some neat programmming. Today, I turned on the set (which takes a while to warm up), there was B.J. Thomas singing "Hooked on a Feeling" in a large semicircular group of Nashville heavy hitters. I immediatly recognized Willie, Kris, Porter Wagoner, and Glen Campbell. On stage also were Billy Joe Shaver, Barbara Fairchild,Chrystal Gayle, Gene Watson, Janie Frickey, Micky Gilley, Bobby Bare, Mel Tillis, and Lorrie Morgan. The show was called Ralph Stanley's Legends of Country and was performed from the stage of the Ryman Auditorium. If you see this in your TV guide, tune in for a treat. Each artist talked about how the song came to be written and recorded. Growing up in Kansas, our "top forty" station played everything from Elvis to Johnny Cash, Del Shannon to Faron Young, Brenda Lee to Patsy Cline, so I have a connection to country music, at least what country used to be.

Many of the writers played some cool old (mostly) Gibsons, while a hot bunch of Nashville cats backed them up. HDTV is sooo Kewl.

• Members

I caught that Legends of Country show. Great stuff.

Welcome to the world of HDTV! Awesome it is.... this week InHD2 is carrying Tull 1970 appearance at the Isle of Wight.

Originally posted by thankyou

Our main TV was losing it. It was over twelve years old and the flesh tones would frequently turn orange. So, we decided to pop some cash for our anniversary (25), and bought a 46" Samsung projection set that had an HDTV tuner built in. After giving our old set to a local charity, we cleaned the corner of ten years accumulation and set up the new silver colored silver anniversary box.

After figuring out where to plug in our sat receiver and using the auto channel select, I found that we had two of every local station, one standard broadcast and one HDTV. There were four PBS channels, though, one standard and three HDTV. Those alternate channels have some neat programmming. Today, I turned on the set (which takes a while to warm up), there was B.J. Thomas singing "Hooked on a Feeling" in a large semicircular group of Nashville heavy hitters. I immediatly recognized Willie, Kris, Porter Wagoner, and Glen Campbell. On stage also were Billy Joe Shaver, Barbara Fairchild,Chrystal Gayle, Gene Watson, Janie Frickey, Micky Gilley, Bobby Bare, Mel Tillis, and Lorrie Morgan. The show was called
Ralph Stanley's Legends of Country
and was performed from the stage of the Ryman Auditorium. If you see this in your TV guide, tune in for a treat. Each artist talked about how the song came to be written and recorded. Growing up in Kansas, our "top forty" station played everything from Elvis to Johnny Cash, Del Shannon to Faron Young, Brenda Lee to Patsy Cline, so I have a connection to country music, at least what country used to be.

Many of the writers played some cool old (mostly) Gibsons, while a hot bunch of Nashville cats backed them up. HDTV is sooo Kewl.

• Members

If you are even remotely interested in Ralph Stanley's music, I would urge you to see him as soon as possible, as he is getting quite old and doesn't really even play the banjo very much live anymore.

stanley09.jpg

I took this picture at a February 2006 performance at Pappy and Harriet's in Pioneertown. Great band, great music. I've seen Ralph Stanley and the Clinch Mountain Boys several times, and they never disappoint, and the musicianship is of course fantastic.

Some of you might enjoy him even more than DLR and "Strummin' With the Devil"! :D

• Members

Michael Hedges

David Wilcox

Sam Bush

I am in the Lindsey Buckingham crowd too....WOW...Big Love live still just freaks me out.

Carter Beauford

Tom Morello

Les Claypool (In a very Captain Claypool place right now)

Meg White ( kidding..)

Mitch Gallagher....if he would only RELEASE something....:p

Archived