NGD - Edwards Les Paul Goldtop

perceive

• Members

Nice addition to a really tasteful and toneful gear list.

Is it heavier than your LP Classic?

The classic is still a bit heavier.. I would weigh them if I could but I would guess it is close to 1 kilogram heavier... the Edwards is about 9 lb's... the gibson would be between 10-11 then I would say..

• Members

Very hot! Thats exactly what I've been GASing for hardest for a while now. I need to spend more time playing P90s before I commit to it though, would be a bummer to get it and decide later that I would rather have it with humbuckers.

• Members

Very hot! Thats exactly what I've been GASing for hardest for a while now. I need to spend more time playing P90s before I commit to it though, would be a bummer to get it and decide later that I would rather have it with humbuckers.

Yeah I can understand that ... its certainly a different "voice" compared to a humbucker...

• Members

Its a little bit horses for courses...

Gibson:
Pros
Bit more sustain - maybe due to extra weight...the antiquities make it nicer as well.
Cons
Weight. setup initially was good but not great - rattles from the pickguard for instance... Balance not as good cos of weight

Edwards:
Pro's
Well balanced. Very good setup - feels well made. No rattles or anything
Cons:
A little less sustain... will try some heavier gauge strings during the week and see how that goes..

All around .. I want to see how it feels in a week or two and give it some time to get over the "oooh new toy" feeling ;)

• Members
Its a little bit horses for courses...

Gibson:

Pros

Bit more sustain - maybe due to extra weight...the antiquities make it nicer as well.

Cons

Weight. setup initially was good but not great - rattles from the pickguard for instance... Balance not as good cos of weight

Edwards:

Pro's

Well balanced. Very good setup - feels well made. No rattles or anything

Cons:

A little less sustain... will try some heavier gauge strings during the week and see how that goes..

All around .. I want to see how it feels in a week or two and give it some time to get over the "oooh new toy" feeling
;)

Your new Edwards is a beaut!!! Congrats! A tip as far as rattles go, if your guitar has an ABR-1 bridge with the wire retainer, the wire will often rattle at certain frequencies, I've had this happen of Gibsons as well as my Edwards amd Greco...a dap of super glue to the wire and wherever it contacts the bridge of saddle screw is a quick and easy fix.

• Members

Your new Edwards is a beaut!!! Congrats! A tip as far as rattles go, if your guitar has an ABR-1 bridge with the wire retainer, the wire will often rattle at certain frequencies, I've had this happen of Gibsons as well as my Edwards amd Greco...a dap of super glue to the wire and wherever it contacts the bridge of saddle screw is a quick and easy fix.

thanks for the tips! In the end what I did was wrapped the strings over the bridge ... but it was also things like the pickguard being a little less etc.... could have happened in shipping maybe but unlikely.. :poke:

Oh well I had to modify it to get the seymour duncans in so it was a chance to fix other stuff at that point as well!

Archived