must... build... one... more.... ARCHTOP!

ajcoholic

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

here they are as promised... more when I get a chance.

Its been a lot of fun to share this with you guys... now maybe someone else will get the bug and order some wood to carve?! Come on now!
:thu:

archtop1.jpg
archtop2.jpg
archtop3.jpg

I hope you know inside that you sir are one hell of a builder of guitars!!

That's the first box I've seen that makes me dribble some, very very beautiful.

You are also as I have experienced a bloody decent human being, so I hope your lass knows that as well...spose I better get those chunks you sent me playing.;)

• Members

You know AJ, I was talking about you and this thread with a friend of mine who is a woodworker but does not make instruments... and I was telling him how skillful you were. He laughed at me.

His words were something along the lines of "I'm skillful... he's got talent. There's a damn difference."

I stand corrected :D

• Members

You know AJ, I was talking about you and this thread with a friend of mine who is a woodworker but does not make instruments... and I was telling him how skillful you were. He laughed at me.

His words were something along the lines of "I'm skillful... he's got talent. There's a damn difference."

I stand corrected
:D

I'm blushing...:)

I don't know what to say, but I really do consider myself a decent woodworker, but no "expert". I just have a lot of interest in making guitars and I have never been afraid to try something to see if I can do it.

I really think stuff like this is at least 50% inspiration and the want to do it. Almost anyone could/should be able to learn the skills if they work at it. But first you REALLY REALLY have to want to do it BADLY. And if something goes wrong, you have to try it again.

Isnt it actually a whole lot like learning to PLAY the guitar? I mean you start with nothing in terms of skills and you slowly aquire them by practice and hard work. Eventually you say, "hey, I am having fun and playing music"... the same thing happens with buidling but you realise that "hey, I am building guitars that are pretty good, and I am having fun too!".

WHen I first started posting here, I always said my main intention was as much to enocurage others as it was to share my own work. If even one person gets interested in building its so worth it!:thu:

AJC

• Members

WHen I first started posting here, I always said my main intention was as much to enocurage others as it was to share my own work. If even one person gets interested in building its so worth it!
:thu:

AJC

You are the best at it sharing your work too. It's not so much a problem here, but I actually got yelled at on another board by one guy for my Les Paul Re-fret pictorial thread i did last month. Claiming that there are things that non-luthiers/techs shouldn't see and I was costing them business and crap and then he started yelping about how me and Frets.com would ruin the guitar repair business and all of that crap.

That was only one guy out of 4 or 5 pages of posts, but those people are out there. I say screw them. This stuff interests people.

Thanks so much for this thread. Incredible work and I bet it sounds killer. I love the blank board with it too. No inlays = classy.:eek:

• Members

You are the best at it sharing your work too. It's not so much a problem here, but I actually got yelled at on another board by one guy for my Les Paul Re-fret pictorial thread i did last month. Claiming that there are things that non-luthiers/techs shouldn't see and I was costing them business and crap and then he started yelping about how me and Frets.com would ruin the guitar repair business and all of that crap.

That was only one guy out of 4 or 5 pages of posts, but those people are out there. I say screw them. This stuff interests people.

Thanks so much for this thread. Incredible work and I bet it sounds killer. I love the blank board with it too. No inlays = classy.
:eek:

Thats pretty funny! Like maybe all those car and truck shows where they show you how to fix and overhaul your own vehicle will put the garages out of business?? HA!:D I guess some people in the business of guitar making feel threatened by the thought that "normal" guys could learn something too... well, thats great I say! People build their own cabinets and furniture too - but I am still in business.

I know not everyone will want nor have the talents to do everything. I wont ever be a monster player but I still enjoy music and playing guitar. SOme others may never build a compkete guitar but if they learn how to set up their instruments or maybe even do a refret... thats awesome!

As for sound clips... not yet I am afraid. Giv eme some time I promise I will get things going eventually.

Then I need to learn something jazzy to play... it just wont sound right doing "smoke on the water"... on this one! ;)

AJC

• Members

Hey AJ, I've read through most of your build threads and I just wanted to say thanks for sharing them with us in so much detail.

I guess my reaction is a bit different to some of the people that have replied saying "that's so awesome, I could never make something that good". I think you've made these guitars look possible to build.

In the past I would have looked at a guitar like the fabulous archtop you've built and thought "there's no way on earth that I could build something like that" I just wouldn't have known where to start! Now you've got me looking at timber suppliers and daydreaming of making one myself.

I guess an archtop isn't the best place to start off!

Anyway, I know from your posts that you're keen to inspire people to have a go. So I wanted to let you know that it's worked on me.

Cheers

Mike

• Members

Hey AJ, I've read through most of your build threads and I just wanted to say thanks for sharing them with us in so much detail.

I guess my reaction is a bit different to some of the people that have replied saying "that's so awesome, I could never make something that good". I think you've made these guitars look possible to build.

In the past I would have looked at a guitar like the fabulous archtop you've built and thought "there's no way on earth that I could build something like that" I just wouldn't have known where to start! Now you've got me looking at timber suppliers and daydreaming of making one myself.

I guess an archtop isn't the best place to start off!

Anyway, I know from your posts that you're keen to inspire people to have a go. So I wanted to let you know that it's worked on me.

Cheers

Mike

Mike, you just made my day! :):thu:

You know what? Just about a year ago I wanted a semi hollow and I was too afraid to try and carve my own plates, so I ordered the preformed plywood ones from Stew Mac. They worked out fine, and I like that guitar a lot. Then, one of the guys here on HCEG sent me Bob Benedetto's book on making archtops. I thinik that was last summer. I read it about 10 times cover to cover.... slowly I understood the steps and thought to myself "I bet I could try this"... then in December I decided enough was enough and I phoned in my order for the wood. Yes, sometimes things appear way too complex when you look at the whole, complete job. But break it down into individual steps and all of a sudden it doesnt seem "that" hard after all.

I am not saying everything is "easy" but it is FAR from impossible!

AJC

• Members

...break it down into individual steps and all of a sudden it doesnt seem "that" hard after all.

I am not saying everything is "easy" but it is FAR from impossible!

AJC

You haven't seen me with a saw in my hand :eek:

Seriously, I'd really like to try something easy (and cheap) to learn. I'm about to start training as a Science teacher after 20 years as a paint chemist (you seem to get more of a a kick out of the finishing process than I do nowadays:rolleyes: ). I'm thinking of getting a little bit of experience of building over the next year while I'm training and then maybe starting some sort of club for the kids at the school (if it doesn't defeat me).

Do you have any ideas about easy starter builds, good resources, cheap woods to use etc?

I'd like to have a go at an acoustic, maybe a nylon strung one to start if it's simpler (no truss rod I guess?).

Anyway thanks for making it seem possible. I might be cursing you next year when I've fewer fingers and half an orange box guitar in my shed. :mad:

Cheers

Mike

• Members

You haven't seen me with a saw in my hand
:eek:

Seriously, I'd really like to try something easy (and cheap) to learn. I'm about to start training as a Science teacher after 20 years as a paint chemist (you seem to get more of a a kick out of the finishing process than I do nowadays:rolleyes: ). I'm thinking of getting a little bit of experience of building over the next year while I'm training and then maybe starting some sort of club for the kids at the school (if it doesn't defeat me).

Do you have any ideas about easy starter builds, good resources, cheap woods to use etc?

I'd like to have a go at an acoustic, maybe a nylon strung one to start if it's simpler (no truss rod I guess?).

Anyway thanks for making it seem possible. I might be cursing you next year when I've fewer fingers and half an orange box guitar in my shed.
:mad:

Cheers

Mike

Mike, if you are leaning towards an acoustic flat top (nylon or steel string) I highly recommend the kits sold through Luthier's Mercantile Int'l - I built one of their dreads a few years ago and it is an amazing way to get started. Look at them on the website (www.lmii.com) and you can get them in various states of completion, and with any wood combo they sell.

AJC

• 1 month later...

Archived