California Fires !

bluesrock70's

• Members

I live in Santa Clarita myself, the fires just seemed to surround our valley. All my friends and family were affected and evacuated for a day or so, but it all turned out okay in this valley. at least for me and my group. on the plus side, it was quite musically inspiring to wake up to a red sun and a dark sky full of smoke. the whole valley smelled like a big camp fire, i didnt mind it. i still worried mind you.

• Members

I've had all of mine in cases by the door since Sunday, ready to go. I usually like to keep some hanging or on stands. Finally moved 'em back to the music room last night, but still in cases. I'm not a collector, so I've only got 4.

Herding our 5 cats can be much tougher, but we did it in when we were evacuated in '05 and '03. Had more guitars back then, but I think I got 'em all out as I recall.

• Members

Thanks for the well-wishes, i live in the Temecula valley, south riverside county. No problems here, although the Rice fire in Fallbrook isnt far from me. However, my job is in Escondido, where the Witch fire is, where most of the damage took place. I missed 3 days of work because the area was evacuated. Im back today, but its heavy smoke, and my eyes are burning badly.

Past three days i was at least able to play guitar a lot sitting at home. Kinda wore out the tips of my fingers. hahaha. but yeah, its been interesting.

• Members

Dude. Sorry to upstage you, but this thread's already been done, like 2 days ago :) Get with the program!

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1781274

The Santiago Canyon fire came to about half a mile or less to my house. But it's since moved away, somewhat. We're ok for now though. Good mojo sent to all the others out there in similar situations.

• Members

Thanks for the well-wishes guys. I just got back online for the first time all week - I love this site that has so much more to do with life than electric guitars. Some people are seriously affected by this, while I am just lucky to be living in a safe location, closer to the beach. My place has been an evacuation center (aka: beer drinking center) and storage for friends music equipment. I had three bands' worth of equipment stuffed in my music room until last night. My heart goes out to those who have lost pets, livestock, loved ones, or homes. And especially guitars. :cry:

Props to all the firefighters - some of whom fought fires for three straight days without rest!!!:thu:

• Members

I'm at my mom's house in San Clemente. The air quality is pretty bad, but I think things are going to improve quickly around here with the ocean breeze just starting to pick up.

I couldn't wait to move the hell out of SoCal first chance I got, so in '87 I headed back to where I grew up near the Rockies. Every time it gets nice and crystal clear in this area, some dickwad starts a fire. Then other dickwads get involved and before too long, there are dozens of fires burning.

I was so thrilled to move back to Fort Collins where we have many, many crystal clear days with only occasional fires (like every 10 years), and most are started by lightening.

I love Los Angeles and Orange counties, but I just could not live here anymore. My son loves it, and he's told us that he wants to make LA his home in the future.

• Members

Wish Ahnold would get all tough like in the movies and terminate them.....real Arnold is wimp tho.

Just compare the job Arnold is doing compared with the Louisiana Governor after Katrina. Actually, there's no comparison. Arnold is doing great. He's not whining about how the Feds have dropped the ball.

• Members

Not to turn too political here and go OT, but you can't really compare the magnitude of Katrina to what we're having here in CA right now. NO was inaccessible during Katrina, whereas here, the rest of Los Angeles and San Diego are still functional. Much easier to take care of the people in Qualcom Park than it was at the superdome.

I do agree that Arnold is doing a good job of it, although most of the actual management of this crisis has been at a local level (as it should be) with the state helping any way it can.

And I do agree with the chap back there who said the arsonist(s) should be executed. In fact, if it were up to me, I'd like to see them turned over to the folks who lost homes or loved ones, for, oh say, 24 hours of "no questions asked" handling, followed by having them lowered from a helicopter into a raging fire, very slowly...Live by fire, die by fire, and all that.

And trust me, I'm normally a mild mannered, anti-death penalty, liberal type.

And Doc, under better circumstances, I'd invite you over for a beer and a jam, but I wouldn't really wish the air quality by my house on anyone right now.

Archived