Thickness of Squier Affinity Strat body...

Dougy

• Members

... can anyone help me out on this? I've just sold a 2005 Squier Affinity Strat body on teh ebay, and the buyer has asked what thickness the body is, he seems to think it should be either 40mm or 45mm.

I can't measure it because:

1- I'm at work right now

2- The guitar body is at my gran's house

3- It's already packed in the box for shipping, and I'm pretty sure I already sealed it up...

So, to summarise - could one of you lovely people please measure the thickness of the body on your Affinity Strat? Pretty please?

:love:

• Members

I just bought a used 99 Affinity strat off craigslist for $50 and after a setup, it sounds as 'basically' good as my full size 83 MIJ. I also have a 93 MIK Squier Bullet which has the thinner body and it sounds better than the MIJ... or at least it sounds a lot more vintagy...

I think the pickups used with have a radically greater impact on the sound than the thinner body... and the Affinity bodies are composite wood, rather than a pure wood, aren't they? That will probably have a greater effect on tone than just the thickness of the body.

• Members

the Affinity bodies are composite wood, rather than a pure wood, aren't they? That will probably have a greater effect on tone than just the thickness of the body.

Nope, solid wood - although you have to watch, some are agathis, some are alder. Not one or two piece bodies, of course - probably more like 4 or 5 if not more. But still, not plywood. The alder ones are generally considered to be nicer, I think.

• Members

Mine is 40mm

I think mine is about 2005 aswell. Its the 70's style body/headstock

Have you been in Cash Convertors on Clayton Street recently? They reduced the prices on all their guitars last month...

:poke:

• Members

Have you been in Cash Convertors on Clayton Street recently? They reduced the prices on all their guitars last month...

:poke:

I walked past there on Friday! I went to see Y&T ({censored}ing amazing gig) and the Carling Academy.

I looked in the window, but there was nothing where the guitars usually are :l

I never usually go inside though.

Have you ever been in McKays sounds? Its where i got my MIM Strat, the majority of his stuff are Vintage, and then theres a place called Smokey Joe, with {censored} loads of old phones and stuff, he's had some good looking guitars in there before.

• Members

I walked past there on Friday! I went to see Y&T (fucking amazing gig) and the Carling Academy.

I looked in the window, but there was nothing where the guitars usually are :l

I never usually go inside though.

Have you ever been in McKays sounds? Its where i got my MIM Strat, the majority of his stuff are Vintage, and then theres a place called Smokey Joe, with fuck loads of old phones and stuff, he's had some good looking guitars in there before.

I bought my Tokai strat from McKays about 8 years ago. :thu: Different guy running it now though, he's doing a better job of it IMO.

I also bought my Kramer Focus 2000 from Smokey Joes about 10 years ago... I rarely bother going in there now, the bloke who owns it is a bitter old cunt. Some of the crap in his shop has sat there for years, possibly because he's a right awkward twat with everyone who goes in there (except charvas selling stolen mobiles ;)) I foolishly went in a couple of weeks back - there's so much shit piled up that you can barely move, and when I tried to see what guitars he had buried under a big pile of junk he told me to come back in 10 minutes if I wanted to look at them. Basically he just couldn't be bothered to get off his lazy arse and serve a potential customer... needless to say I didn't go back after 10 minutes...

He did have an Encore coaster in there. Decent guitars if you can get past the Encore logo on the headstock... really nice neck... fuck knows what he's asking for it though. Everything is overpriced in there. :mad:

Annoys me just thinking about that shop. :o

FWIW, Cash Convertors put all their guitars at the back of the shop now. ;)

• Members

Do you think it contributes a huge sound difference?

It may in fact make a small sound difference, but not necessarilly a negative one. That Affinity strat sounded extremely good, and I seriously doubt anyone besides maybe a canine would be able to tell it was a thinner body. It sounded exactly like a stereotypical vintage strat.

My roommate also has a laminate bodies squier bullet. Also very thin, maybe even thinner than the affinity. Sounds great, just like a strat should sound.

• Members

It may in fact make a small sound difference, but not necessarilly a negative one. That Affinity strat sounded extremely good, and I seriously doubt anyone besides maybe a canine would be able to tell it was a thinner body. It sounded exactly like a stereotypical vintage strat.

My roommate also has a laminate bodies squier bullet. Also very thin, maybe even thinner than the affinity. Sounds great, just like a strat should sound.

+1

The Affinity sounded pretty good before I took it apart. ;)

• Members

I bought my Tokai strat from McKays about 8 years ago.
:thu:
Different guy running it now though, he's doing a better job of it IMO.

I also bought my Kramer Focus 2000 from Smokey Joes about 10 years ago... I rarely bother going in there now, the bloke who owns it is a bitter old cunt. Some of the crap in his shop has sat there for years, possibly because he's a right awkward twat with everyone who goes in there
(except charvas selling stolen mobiles
;)
)
I foolishly went in a couple of weeks back - there's so much shit piled up that you can barely move, and when I tried to see what guitars he had buried under a big pile of junk he told me to come back in 10 minutes if I wanted to look at them. Basically he just couldn't be bothered to get off his lazy arse and serve a potential customer... needless to say I didn't go back after 10 minutes...

He did have an Encore coaster in there. Decent guitars if you can get past the Encore logo on the headstock...
really
nice neck... fuck knows what he's asking for it though. Everything is overpriced in there.
:mad:

Annoys me just thinking about that shop.
:o

FWIW, Cash Convertors put all their guitars at the back of the shop now.
;)

Smokey Joe's is a wierd place indeed.

I dont see why cash converters put that pointless are with a few items in surrounded by conservatory windows? Its useless, not the shop has lost alot of space :freak:

Oh and my mam and dad were on about a new shop they seen, say your at that big market heading past that circular toilet block things, turn left to where RPM Music is, and the big opening on the right, apparently there is a new shop somewhere in there?

But oh well

• Members

Smokey Joe's is a wierd place indeed.

I dont see why cash converters put that pointless are with a few items in surrounded by conservatory windows? Its useless, not the shop has lost alot of space
:freak:

Oh and my mam and dad were on about a new shop they seen, say your at that big market heading past that circular toilet block things, turn left to where RPM Music is, and the big opening on the right, apparently there is a new shop somewhere in there?

But oh well

Do you mean 'The Guitar Shop'?

:idk:

• Members

yes thats it !
:D

Just been goin on about that in my thread, oh well i'll look there!

That's actually the oldest guitar shop in Newcastle, except possibly McKays....

Brian's a top bloke like. :thu:

Archived