Plastic coating...mmmmmmm

katintokyo

• Members

So this is just a silly little question but how long do you wait to take the plastic coating off your pick guards or any other things that come with plastic coatings for that matter?

I just got my new RG 2550 and I am scared to take it off!!! ITs such a pretty guitar!!!

• Members

true but I am just worried about killing it while doing adjustments and such for my setups at home... sometimes the screwdrivers etc can get a bit out of hand...

I use shop towels to cover the finish as much as I can when I do work. I also found these handy things at the supermarket meant to lay out dishes on. Its a 3 foot roll of spongy foam stuff that clings to flat surfaces, like a counter or a guitar. Its great to set the axe on when you are working, or to cover parts you want to protect. Cost - about $3

• Members

I take it off as soon as I'm sure the product does not need to be returned. When the plastic film starts to come away it looks awful, like the guitar has some hideous skin disease (... um, OK, maybe that gives more insight into my mind than is really necessary).

More importantly, if you leave the film on too long it might discolour whatever is underneath it. I've seen pickguards with weird mottling where a guitar has been hanging up in a shop for years before someone took it off. Probably can be sanded off or polished away I guess, but it's better to not need to do this at all.

• Members

I suggest taking the plastic off immediately. Soon the plastic coating will start to peel off and bubble up in some areas and will make your guitar look ghetto. Then after a few months you'll get sick of it and try to take it off only to find that it is leaving adhesive residue all over the pickguard and you'll post another question here asking "how can I get the plastic coating adhesive residue off my pickguard"?;)

Besides, the thin plastic coating provides no protection against screwdrivers etc. I'm not really sure of it's function. Protect against pick scratches while in the guitar store??

edit: silmaneero beat me to it.

• Members

Besides, the thin plastic coating provides no protection against screwdrivers etc. I'm not really sure of it's function. Protect against pick scratches while in the guitar store??

I think it's there partly to advertise that a new guitar is in fact new. Assuming most of us take the things off, if we then returned the guitar to the store, the store would have a hard time selling it as new-out-of-box. Plus, as you point out, protect against pick scratches in store. And protect against damage in shipping. Mirror-smooth plastics scratch real easy when anything rubs against them, even packaging materials.

Archived