Got a real lemon of an Agile a while ago...

Blueboner

• Members

I received (and promptly returned) this Tele a while ago, but I just got around to putting up the pictures.

It seem to play OK and sound barely all right, but there were tons of interesting problems. To begin with, the body wood was terribly mismatched. However, that really doesn't even matter as I don't even think the body wood was alder, as advertised. It looks more like an agathis or nato to me. Add to all of that, the bridge didn't even completely cover up the entire pickup route; the corners of the route peeked out a bit. The nut was cut too deep, and the frets were super gritty feeling. The guitar was quite a brick too, in terms of weight.

The good news, as usual, is that they took it back. Not only that, but they also refunded all of the shipping (to me and back). So I was out nothing other than the cost of driving to the UPS place to ship it back.

What do you guys think of this body wood?

• Members

Too bad, she's real purdy. You're right- the grain on that one piece looks like it is going perpendicular to the other wood patterns. Wouldn't be a show stopper for me though, I kinda like imperfections in my guits. And my ladies too. (oY0) Note the mismatched boobies, I don't even mind.

• Members

Hmmm. The center piece could be a bunch of pieces of alder sandwiched between two agathis wings or something like that. But alder can be puzzling. Here's my strat which is definitely alder:

00strat.jpg

It's not particularly well matched, but neither were the originals back in the day. I kind of like the look.

• Members

The good news, as usual, is that they took it back. Not only that, but they also refunded all of the shipping (to me and back). So I was out nothing other than the cost of driving to the UPS place to ship it back.

well there ya go

• Members

Geez, it looks good to me.

You must be anal.

Maybe it just doesn't come out well in the picture. I can clearly see it, but then again, I've seen it in person.

Although, the body pieces still look clearly mismatched to me, and the wood doesn't in anyway look like alder.

But that's just me, I guess.

Regardless, they guitar didn't seem to be of that great of quality. I'd say it's on par with the recent upper end Squiers that are about the same price, which is in great contrast to the other Agiles I've owned.

• Members

How was the action? Did you have to fight the guitar to play it? Or was it good? I'm just curious, what brand of tuners do they use?

It played OK. Like I said, the frets were really gritty feeling, which made bending difficult. The finish on the neck felt a bit cheesy, but the neck itself was actually fairly comfortable. The tuners were genuine mini-Grovers--quite nice actually.

Still, for the price, I'd probably try to hunt down a recent MIM Tele. All of the electronics on the Agile would have to be replaced as well as the bridge, which was particularly cheesy (aside from the route peeking out, which is normal, I guess).

• Members

its difficult to tell under the finish, but it does look like alder to me. its quartersawn, and showing the typical rayflecks you would get in alder.

agathis and meranti wont have this.

it looks so different because typically alder used in fenders for example is flat sawn. us alder trees are smallish, and not often available quartered.

theres a large variety of alder types around the world as well, they wont all look exacly like the us red alder in fenders.

personally i dont mind the grain, or the matching. but if you didnt like it, thats that. send it back.

• Members

Ah, man, I sold you a brand new Fender trem bar. But now I'm afraid that there will be a little plastic niblet on the end of the tip or something.

As a kind of sidenote, can everyone here really distinguish one type of wood from another? I mean, even in regard to weight, is it so consistent that one can say that something is alder or ash or etc. Won't it depend on where it's from, how well it was dried, etc? I'm just asking.

• Members

Ah, man, I sold you a brand new Fender trem bar. But now I'm afraid that there will be a little plastic niblet on the end of the tip or something.

As a kind of sidenote, can everyone here really distinguish one type of wood from another? I mean, even in regard to weight, is it so consistent that one can say that something is alder or ash or etc. Won't it depend on where it's from, how well it was dried, etc? I'm just asking.

some woods are easy to spot, like maple. there isnt another wood that can be readily mistaken for maple.

alder grows all around the world so it has alot more variation, but its still very distinct.

the guitar in the picture uses quarter sawn wood, which shows a nice 3d ray fleck. this is very typical of alder (and maple and basswood and poplar) but i dont think its a characteristic of agathis and certainly not meranti (philipine mahogany).

so all i can really say is "it could be alder", but not with any certainty.

Archived