Bridge Humbucker for Strat?

asdfjkl semi

• Members

Hey guys,

I'm thinking about swapping out the single coil Fender "toneless" pickup in the bridge of my Strat for something a bit beefier and with a bit more character. I usually play clean or with a little bit of grit in the neck and middle positions, avoiding the very treble-y and thin bridge pup. I think I have enough room to fit a full-size HB, but small humbuckers are OK too.

I want something that will respond to a boost nicely, and it's got to be well inside the extremes of ear-hurting icepick (like I've got now) and muddy (as I've heard a lot of HB's are).

The body is an alder hardtail, neck is walnut and fingerboard is ebony if it helps your recommendation.

• Members

phone021.jpg

I put the GFS Lil' Killers in mine. The whole set was like 60 bucks. I have the bridge and neck pup on a push pull pot for a coil tap. They sound very nice. Just the bridge pup is like 25 bucks I think. Very versatile and is pretty good for the heavy stuff. It's not quite LP range if you know what I mean, but it is a LOT better than the stock SC. I changed for the very same reason you said.

HTH

• Members

I stay away from Duncan. I just don't like them.

Anyways,

The best humbucker made in the $150 range is the Voodoo Pickups '60 HB. You simply can't get better.

In the $75 range, I've been recommended a BG Bucker, and just ordered one today.

Yeah, those are both for cleans with a little dirt by the way. I play the same way.

• Members

phone021.jpg

I put the GFS Lil' Killers in mine. The whole set was like 60 bucks. I have the bridge and neck pup on a push pull pot for a coil tap. They sound very nice. Just the bridge pup is like 25 bucks I think. Very versatile and is pretty good for the heavy stuff. It's not quite LP range if you know what I mean, but it is a LOT better than the stock SC. I changed for the very same reason you said.

HTH

I don't have the stock ones. I have fender "kill your tone" noiseless pups. The middle and neck pups are actually pretty nice and full, but the bridge sounds pretty much terrible almost all the time. Thanks for the recommendation, though. You got any clips?

• Members

a walnut neck?
:freak:

+1 on the Lil Killers. Easy cheap, good enough to stay. Make sure to wire up the split.

I have some Duncan hb pup in the Ash SX and I'm not impressed.

_DSC7014.JPG

I've actually taken steel wool to it after shooting this photo, giving it a faster satin surface. It's very resonant and beautiful to look at.

Looks like there's about a 50/50 split on the Duncans.

Are the GFS lil killers more on the bright side or kind of dark? I think I need something just a little less bright, but much more full than what I have now.

Archived