who else has been scammed on ebay

chrisebrooks06

• Members

I only got burned once about a year ago. The guy paid me via Paypal for a 200 dollar pedal (Kelley modded TS-9) and then bounced the check to Paypal somehow after I shipped. I wasn't aware at the time that this was possible. I just shipped the item when Paypal told me I was paid. Paypal just took back my money and said that I need to contact the buyer to straighten things out. I emailed the guy for a month with no replies.

Maybe this scam worked for him in the past but not this time.

I filed a claim against him in small claims court for $2,500, the maximum amount I could file in punitive damages. What's worse for him was that since he lived in the same state as me, he had to appear in MY town's court (a 4 hour drive) or risk losing the case due to non-appearing. I had all the doumentation to prove internet fraud. Since he accepted delivery at a house with a tax record in his name...I was going to put a lien on his house (for the $2,500) so he could never sell it unless he paid me. He could ignore the judgement and not pay me...but if he ever wanted to sell his house I'd get paid big.

All of a sudden he was on the phone all apologetic with some story about how his sister died and he had to leave town fast and he didn't realize the check bounced...etc. I finally agreed to accept payment in full in the form of a money order PLUS the cost of filing the claim in court (150.00)
The dip{censored} paid it and I learned a valuable lesson that Paypal an take money back from you after they tell you you've been paid.

BTW the guy had a 100% positive feedback with about 35 transactions.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You really are a bit of a dick, aren't you?

And a very small bit, too ...

As well as not being very bright.

really?, well i dont care about you what you think of me personally, and too answer the other person who thought i bought a cheap 200 dollar guitar believing it to be real is false as well as the ibanez i bought was a lot more than that and as someother people have posted they dont like ebay either and yes i did read the listing, and the picture of the listing was a real jem 555 and i belived the seller as he had 100 % feedback on over 1000 transactions and i happily bid 600 gbp for it and when the guitar arrrived i got a totally different guitar, no hardcase and i had to take up the case with paypal and it turned out that this seller had done this before under different names, i am sorry if anyone was offended if i called ebay 'gaybay' but i am 600 pounds out of pocket and a fake guitar which i believed (and had no reason to doubt) was the real thing, so u may forgive me on being a little upset.

the listing was convincing guitar pictured in the apparant sellers home, etc and ebay investigated the matter eventully.

sorry to all offended, i didnt mean it but im pissed off at the moment

• Members

for like $200... cuz you figured it was an amazing deal since they retail for 10 times that... if this is the case then it's your own freaking fault for being a moron... if not then sorry to hear that you got scammed... typically it's pretty easy to spot the scams on ebay as long as you're not an idiot

read my last post, then take back what you said please

• Members

sorry to all offended, i didnt mean it but im pissed off at the moment

I have total sympathy for you, or anybody else who gets scammed out of their hard-earned, on eBay or anywhere else. I sincerely hope that you get your money back and that the person who scammed you gets penalised to the full extent of the law and subjected to whatever sanctions eBay can bring against anybody who uses their service to rip people off.

I just wanted to point out that casual homophobia isn't cool, smart or endearing, and that reaching for terminology like that even when (ESPECIALLY when!) you've got an absolute right to feel enraged is liable to detract from the natural sympathy that anyone here would feel for you under the circumstances.

And it ain't even eBay's fault! Someone's abused their system, and they are your fellow victims because it reflects badly on them.

Good luck with any claim you make for misrepresentation of goods, {censored}ing with your good vibes and anything else you manage to throw at the con artist.

• Members

sorry again, i know it is wrong to say things like that, im normally a very easy going guy but i didnt think and as soon as i posted it i knew i was wrong, i totally understand people calling me the things they did and they were right i was wrong and stupid.

now, i know ebay wasn't to blame, and someone abused their system, it was a in a heat of the moment i typed what i typed and i was saving up for a long time to buy a guitar and it feels like someone has taken it away and is laughing at me so i have gone through ebay and paypal and also reported them to ibanez but again i apologise to all offended and hope you can forgive me, i love harmony central and enjoy chatting to people on here.

thanks

• Members

I have total sympathy for you, or anybody else who gets scammed out of their hard-earned, on eBay or anywhere else. I sincerely hope that you get your money back and that the person who scammed you gets penalised to the full extent of the law and subjected to whatever sanctions eBay can bring against anybody who uses their service to rip people off.

I just wanted to point out that casual homophobia isn't cool, smart or endearing, and that reaching for terminology like that even when (ESPECIALLY when!) you've got an absolute right to feel enraged is liable to detract from the natural sympathy that anyone here would feel for you under the circumstances.

And it ain't even eBay's fault! Someone's abused their system, and they are your fellow victims because it reflects badly on them.

Good luck with any claim you make for misrepresentation of goods, {censored}ing with your good vibes and anything else you manage to throw at the con artist.

Very wise words indeed mate.

• Members

sorry again, i know it is wrong to say things like that, im normally a very easy going guy but i didnt think and as soon as i posted it i knew i was wrong, i totally understand people calling me the things they did and they were right i was wrong and stupid.

now, i know ebay wasn't to blame, and someone abused their system, it was a in a heat of the moment i typed what i typed and i was saving up for a long time to buy a guitar and it feels like someone has taken it away and is laughing at me so i have gone through ebay and paypal and also reported them to ibanez but again i apologise to all offended and hope you can forgive me, i love harmony central and enjoy chatting to people on here.

thanks

Relax. We get it.

Ive posted alot of things that didnt come out the way I intended. Sometimes you just need people to point it out to you.

The second I saw the word gay in your title, I thought; uh oh, here we go............even though I detected that you were using it as a way to express your unhappines with "stupid" bay, but I was pretty sure you were about to get blasted for it.

I am a usually a complete and total clown, and sometimes, on paper, the use of certain words, however innocent they may sound at the time, just dont translate well. Just pick and choose carefully.

Just use common sense, and you probably wont make the same mistake.

For an example, I'm sure I just REALLY pissed off alot of "stupid" people by calling it stupid bay.

• Members

Relax. We get it.

Ive posted alot of things that didnt come out the way I intended. Sometimes you just need people to point it out to you.

The second I saw the word gay in your title, I thought; uh oh, here we go............even though I detected that you were using it as a way to express your unhappines with "stupid" bay, but I was pretty sure you were about to get blasted for it.

I am a usually a complete and total clown, and sometimes, on paper, the use of certain words, however innocent they may sound at the time, just dont translate well. Just pick and choose carefully.

Just use common sense, and you probably wont make the same mistake.

For an example, I'm sure I just REALLY pissed off alot of "stupid" people by calling it stupid bay.

thanks, im just sorry and wanted to let others know that its a lesson learnt.

i wont say things like that again so thanks for your kind comment.

chris

• Members

In over 200 transactions in the last eight years, I've only had a couple of bad experiences. In one case I was sold a CPU that was dead. In another case I bought a new old stock auto part that had a rotten internal diaphram from sitting around for years. In both cases, the value of the items didn't warrant spending my effort quibbling over them. Perhaps the sellers would have setteled things had I complained. But, it just wasn't worth the time and effort. Overall, for me, the good deals have FAR out weighed the bad ones. The way I see it even with the couple of problem transactions, I'm still way ahead of the game when compared to shopping elsewhere.

• Members

typing error , anyway i have said what i needed to say and regretted a few words i said so thread closed for me, i have apologised to all concerned and wont be commenting again on this thread,

Hey, if you haven't already, could you post a link to the auction? Its never cool to get scammed anywhere, even if you are partially at fault for not being cautious or using common sense. It is still sad when someone will blatently try and rip someone off. Sorry if it happened to you. But it really isn't fair to trash Ebay (gay bay, or maybe that was an intended compliment;) ) since it is still the seller's actions, not Ebay's as a whole.

• Members

CSM has a point - even if you think you didn't mean anything by it, the "gaybay" thing is not cool.

I agree. Perhaps if the original poster asked Mazi (the mod) very politely, he might still be able to get the thread title changed to something less offensive.

As far as Ebay goes - I've had plenty of good, happy transactions both as seller and buyer. I have also been burned, both as a seller and a buyer - but far less often than not. Certainly there are lots of crooks on Ebay... with that large a sampling of different people on there, you're bound to have a goodly number of disreputables working all the ugly angles. And I would agree that the people who run Ebay aren't quite so all-fired up to help when you DO get ripped off, especially if its one of the hi-power sellers.

Its definitely a "buyer BEWARE" kind of place. BUT, if you go in knowing that and do the extra effort to protect yourself - you can generally get some good deals. But, even the best layed plans of mice and men can go astray. Ya do what you can. There are certainly safer ways to buy gear - but you pay for it a bit more.

And Craig's List has its own challenges, too.

• Members
thanks, im just sorry and wanted to let others know that its a lesson learnt.

i wont say things like that again so thanks for your kind comment.

chris

You have voluntarily bound yourself with the PC speech shackles. You now know the limits of "authorized" speech and have been reprimanded accordingly. The "offended" have have been appeased. Political correctness means always having to say you're sorry :rolleyes:

....Now back to the original subject. Did Paypal refund your money?

• Members
You have voluntarily bound yourself with the PC speech shackles. You now know the limits of "authorized" speech and have been reprimanded accordingly. The "offended" have have been appeased. Political correctness means always having to say you're sorry
:rolleyes:

....Now back to the original subject. Did Paypal refund your money?

not yet they havent, it is an ongoing process as we speak, i managed to gather evidence and have spoken to customer service at ebay, it turns out that the scammer went under 3 different names and has 'history' in bad deals, im doubting i will get my money back because the seller closed his paypay account but the paypal team opened a dispute, and we go from there, as for what i have said i have said sorry so if the mod wants to change or even delete this post it may be for the best, i dont want to name names yet until i have heard from ebay/paypal outcome.
keep you all posted.

Archived