Trust, Ebay, Local store

Alanfc

• Members

OK - if you have low tech knowledge on a guitar line, for example Gibson Les Paul Standard/Classic/Studio/Custom. And you're on the hunt, ready to buy.

Who do you trust more : a local store guy? Or the 99-100% Positive feedback Ebayer ?

I'm starting to question my old belief in "only hands-on" as I shop for a Les Paul. A local shop may give me more service if there's a problem, thats true. But, could I ever get such an accounting of the guy's sales record and good/bad record like I could with an Ebay seller?

Aside from shipping tragedies, wouldn't I put more faith in the Ebayer with hundreds of transactions and feedback to show for it?

I'm not making an argument for one or the other necessarily. This is just as it relates to Me. No LesPaul tech knowledge- not knowing whats right or wrong with a guitar even though it plays well, what flaws warrant how much cut off the price, etc... My day job is actually all haggling and evaulation, but with things I KNOW up&down. The store experience itself isn't the question. As I acquire a few LP's over the years and get to know them, I will relish the store experience. But now, not even close.

Let alone the larger selection on Ebay vs. =whatever's on the wall= at the local shop.

Sounds like I got my mind made up doesn't it. But I don't. Or do I.

Please opinionate for me

thanks

• Members

The amount of BS in ebay feedback is pretty high and problems do appear well after the feedback period. Lots of ebay guitar deals as opposed to buying online or mailorder from an authorised dealer are for used guitars and have no manufacturers' warranty.

• Members

I've bought around five guitars from E-bay, now; I'm not sure if it is my continuous stupidity when it comes to spending large amounts of money, but each guitar was a disappointment.

Sellers, even "trusted" from the the supposed feedback are at times tricky with clauses, or will downright lie about the condition. I bought a Martin HD-28, that was apparently brand new, when I finally got it, it looked like someone dragged it behind a truck. I've been burned. So, proceed with caution. E-bay is wonderful place for cheaters and liars.

• Members
OK - if you have low tech knowledge on a guitar line, for example Gibson Les Paul Standard/Classic/Studio/Custom. And you're on the hunt, ready to buy.

Who do you trust more : a local store guy? Or the 99-100% Positive feedback Ebayer ?

I'm starting to question my old belief in "only hands-on" as I shop for a Les Paul. A local shop may give me more service if there's a problem, thats true. But, could I ever get such an accounting of the guy's sales record and good/bad record like I could with an Ebay seller?

Aside from shipping tragedies, wouldn't I put more faith in the Ebayer with hundreds of transactions and feedback to show for it?

I'm not making an argument for one or the other necessarily. This is just as it relates to Me. No LesPaul tech knowledge- not knowing whats right or wrong with a guitar even though it plays well, what flaws warrant how much cut off the price, etc... My day job is actually all haggling and evaulation, but with things I KNOW up&down. The store experience itself isn't the question. As I acquire a few LP's over the years and get to know them, I will relish the store experience. But now, not even close.

Let alone the larger selection on Ebay vs. =whatever's on the wall= at the local shop.

Sounds like I got my mind made up doesn't it. But I don't. Or do I.

Please opinionate for me

thanks

I have purchased at least 6 guitars off of ebay, and all but 1 have been complete disappointments. Ebay is becoming a very scary place to shop. I only buy small items from the "bay" now.

I would highly advise you to purchase a Gibson either from a reputable store, or some place like AMS or Musician's Friend. That way, if you get a bad one, you can send it back. Ebay is just too risky for something that pricey, IMO. :thu:

• Members

I'd never risk more than $100 at eBay or whatever you would plan to spend gambling in Las Vegas. I don't know how it is in the U.S., but in Europe it's getting really hard to find the serious shops / offers between all the fraudulent crap, risky business models, short-before-bankrupt sellouts (without delivery) and so on. "Positive feedback" must be examined very carefully because everybody seems to be afraid of "revenge ratings". At no rate I would buy an expensive guitar like a LP on eBay, especially without having extraordinary expertise on these guitars. There's just too much forged stuff around. For private offers, eBay is the place where everybody dumps the lame ducks he bought or stuff that can't be sold eye-to-eye without blushing. The era of bargains seems to be over at eBay anyway.

Chances of being ripped/pixxed off are way smaller in a shop, where you can at least be sure that you got the seller's correct address to beat him up when something's wrong, not to speak of service, professional setup, haggling, getting the best example of a wanted model and supporting your honest local dealer.

• Members

I've done a lot of business on ebay, including buying guitars.

I would be very cautious about big ticket items, the guitars I've bought have all been less than $250, and mostly under $200. And always they're guitars that I'm pretty sure I could resell at a profit, however small.

The main problem I see with positive feedback is this - usually it's posted within a day or so of receiving the item, when any problems have yet to reveal themselves, or when the rush of a new toy to play with makes the buyer less subjective than he ought to be.

When I'm selling, I try to post feedback as soon as payment has cleared, but I find I'm increasingly in the minority, and concern about my own rating keeps me from addressing disappointments beyond deception. (Unless I feel a seller was trying to mislead me, rather than just show his wares in the most favorable light possible, I give feedback based primarily on the speed of shipping and the quality of communications.)

• Members

I bought both my Jaguars on eBay, one came straight from Japan and the other was from a guy with hardly any feedback with a starting bid of $350, and they both arrived fine and have been my favourite guitars for a long time.

I even bought my Black '51 in parts on eBay, and it came perfectly fine.

• Members

I've never had a guitar from the bay that didn't need work, including 1 brand new. For something as expensive and variable as a Les Paul you really should check out the specific guitar. I would not even buy something like that unseen from a major dealer without said dealer inspecting it for me in detail over the phone: probably not even then.

There is no substitute for personal assessment. There are probably a lot of sub-standard guitars being flipped on the bay too.

• Members

I use Ebay for stuff I can't find in the store ...and I build and repair guitars.
I'd never use it for something I could buy locally.
Usually the price isn't much of a savings to justify the risk.

I've bought about 600 items over the years on Ebay and only been burned once...on a $20 soft pliush toy for my kid that was supposed to come from Japan. I just never thought someone would burn people over such a cheap item.

• Members

I got a guitar off ebay once. It was nice and I re-sold it recently for as much as I paid for it.

I suppose it's a crap shoot. The best thing to do is to just trust your eyes and hands. If you see something you like, buy it first-hand. That's the only real way to be completely sure. Plus, if something goes wrong, you can drive down the road and take it to the people who sold it to you

• Members

I use Ebay for stuff I can't find in the store ...and I build and repair guitars.

I'd never use it for something I could buy locally.

Usually the price isn't much of a savings to justify the risk.

I've bought about 600 items over the years on Ebay and only been burned once...on a $20 soft pliush toy for my kid that was supposed to come from Japan. I just never thought someone would burn people over such a cheap item.

I agree, and have also only had "ONE" issue with E-Bay and it was really with Pal-Pal on a dispute a E--bayer filed saying a guitar I sold was not as advertised[had a crack in the top] The guitar did not have a crack. And I offered proof from UPS and Sam Ash? Lost anyway. But thats ben the only issue.

• Members

I haven't had the same problems on eBay as some others here have had. I've found good deals and guitars that were generally what was represented.

I wouldn't spend more than $500 or $600 on a guitar on eBay, but then, I wouldn't offline either, at least at this point in my playing life.

Maybe I'm less picky than some people?

• Members

There's always something to be said about someone looking you in the eye before the sell you something. Yes, I've had some good deals off e-bay. But while someone can type in "sounds great", or "great condition", its not as easy to pull off when 1. you can see and hear these things for yourself and 2. you can read someone's body language and see if they truely believe what they are telling you.

Also, lots of people won't post negative feedback because they don't want it in return.

• Members

Ebay is crap. You cant even trust people with 100% feedback. I prefer to give buisness to my local mom and pop stores because they know what they are talking about and want to do buisness with you so they will treat you with respect and try and hook you up.

Archived