Do those squeezy hand exerciser thingies actually help?

bikehorn

• Members

planetwaves_gripmasterrot.jpg

one of these things. My fretting hand(actually both hands) get tired easily and I'd like to have a little more power to bend strings. Has anyone had any success with something like this? They claim to increase your dexterity, but I wonder if this is actually the case. I could use more dexterity if it's true.

• Members

I suppose the gadget can't do any harm but real practicing is what you need. And maybe even get out and do some real work with your hands and arms to build up your strength.

Something like digging a 40' ditch over the course of a week would be really good excersize.

After your body heals from that sort of torture, you'll be a tougher specimen.

• Members
I suppose the gadget can't do any harm but real practicing is what you need. And maybe even get out and do some real work with your hands and arms to build up your strength.

Something like digging a 40' ditch over the course of a week would be really good excersize.

After your body heals from that sort of torture, you'll be a tougher specimen.

That's why every few months, I break all of my fingers. :thu:

• Members

I actually bought that thing some time ago. I was just too lazy to use it (maybe I will give it a good try now) It claims to be for musicians and I'm sure there are ways to use it that are beneficial but the danger with those is always to overuse it or badly use it and get injured as a result.

• Members

I use one and I think they do help.
Fitter fingers are certainly more mobile. Just make sure you dont get one with too heavy springs, they do come in various strengths.
I use mine in the car and practice scale patterns on it as an additional benefit.

• Members

I've never used one of these, but when I started playing I would squeeze a racquetball in order to try and build strength. I don't know if it did any good...my fingers are short and skinny, so I think I'll always have a hard time with barre chords. It's probably why I've always concentrated on lead playing...I don't have as big of a problem with bends.

• Members

I've used one -- with light strings -- when I travel and am away from the guitar. It's OK -- but there was some thread a couple of weeks ago about this where lots of people warned about overdoing it.

When I'm at home, though, I think the best thing to do to get my hand stronger is to practice all my electric scales and changes on my Martin. After that, electrics feel easy, and I move a lot more smoothly.

• Members

I use one of those but mainly to help with my callouses. I don't think it does much for my playing but since I really don't play much I find my fingers sometimes getting a little raw towards the end of a show. Using that thing helps build up my callouses so that isn't as much of an issue anymore.

• Members

I'd avoid those. The exercises that the device was designed to assist in don't utilize the same muscles you use when playing guitar. And if you try to do the exercises differently (by arching your fingers and pushing down with your fingertips, say) to better mimic guitar, you can really injure your hand.

If all you want is stronger fingers, full-body weight training (with free weights) is probably the best way to do it. Or you could work construction.

• Members

I've been using a Gripmaster for over ten years. They work great, the trick is not to press too hard, you don't want to muscle it too much. Remember you are going for speed and dexterity over muscle. I find it particularly usefully for limbering up before rehearsal when I'm sitting in my car waiting to get into my rehearsal space. In fact I always keep my Gripmaster in my car.

It was great when I bought my 12 string acoustic years ago, I needed to build up a bit more strength for that. Used correctly it's a really good device.

BTW, I have never injured myself with it.

• Members

Hmm, thanks for the opinions guys. I was a little worried about injury potential. I think I'll try one in a store and see if I like the feel. I already do have a bass...actually I started on bass which helped me a lot when I started playing guitar. I also have access to my roommate's acoustic, which is nice but very tough to play compared to some other acoustics I've played. Maybe I'll get him to drop a string gauge next time a string breaks.

• Members

I've been using a Gripmaster for over ten years. They work great, the trick is not to press too hard, you don't want to muscle it too much. Remember you are going for speed and dexterity over muscle. I find it particularly usefully for limbering up before rehearsal when I'm sitting in my car waiting to get into my rehearsal space. In fact I always keep my Gripmaster in my car.

It was great when I bought my 12 string acoustic years ago, I needed to build up a bit more strength for that. Used correctly it's a really good device.

BTW, I have
never
injured myself with it.

This seems to be THE post of this whole thread. It makes me want to use mine. I hear your good advice and will do it carefully. Thanks.

• Members

I have one. I don't use it in any disciplined serious way, so it didn't work miracles. However I think it is beneficial for when you can't play, not as a substitute for working with your instrument. I am glad I have it.

As I recall, they come in three different strengths, I have the middle one. Besides strength, it develops your ability to control each finger individually and also helps create callouses. If you use it in moderation and stop before it hurts, I think that injury is very unlikely.

• Members

Another thing for improving wrist and finger strength is a powerball, its basically a gyroscope inside a ball. You have to rotate your wrist to get the gyroscope spinning and as it builds up speed it gets harder to hold onto. I've used one for a few months and it does seem to be making a difference to my guitar playing, and i haven't injured myself with it yet.

Archived