AMP

Brawley

• Members

Well I trust you guys more than anybody. I am looking for a small practice amp 200 bucks or under. Tube or SS ok. So far on the list Eppy valve JR. Fender Champion 600 or one of the Roland cubes. Any ideas on these and anything you could add to my list to research. I know this has been done to death but I am asking anyway. Thanks everyone.

Go Green Ream in the playoffs

• Members

Vox AD15VT?

A used 30 would be better. The ad30vt has the attenuator which IMHO makes the 30 superior to the 15 for bedroom/practice play.

The Epi VJ and Champ600 should produce fine clean tones, but they are nowhere near as versatile as the valvtronics amps. I have to try out one of those roland cubes sometime.

• Members

I've read lots of good things about the various Vox amps. I found 5 models for under $200, so I'd go on their website and find the one that has the sounds that you are looking for.

I own 4 of the more expensive Vox amps (2 made in England, 2 made in China) and the one thing that they all have in common is great tone. I also have a Vox Tonelab that I love to use for silent practice and recording. I recorded this with a Tonelab (all of the effects, guitars and bass were done with the Tonelab). The Vox amps with the Valve Reactor circuits have some of the same sounds as the Tonelab.

Vox Tonelab demo

I'd take a closer look at this one:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-AD15VT-15W-Guitar-Combo?sku=481958

Pure tube sound made more affordable than ever.

In the Vox Valvetronix AD15VT 15W Guitar Combo, Vox's patented Valve Reactor technology provides genuine tube tone with the stability of solid-state sound. A 12AX7 tube and low-wattage tube power circuit are combined with digital models of 11 classic amps plus 11 high-end effects for an amazingly versatile little jamming and recording amp that sounds fabulous. 2 user-programmable channels and preset mode let you switch your whole setup on the fly. Knob-based interface provides easy editing. Headphone line out.

• Members

I built my own combo using an Epi Valve Junior head, an Eminence Rajun Cajun Speaker, and some nice wood and parts I had around.

It came in at slightly under $200 in costs, plus my labor if you must figure that in.

It's a one trick pony, versatile is the LAST word to describe it (although it responds well to pedals) but pure tone and good sound it has got in spades.

• Members

I don't know if I'd go with the Champion 600...I like mine, but it's not a flexible amp sound-wise. Great for bluesy stuff, but that's about it for me.

I think those Roland cubes are a good choice within that price range, and are very versatile. They're not tube-driven, but I've heard very good things.

• Members

I don't know if I'd go with the Champion 600...I like mine, but it's not a flexible amp sound-wise. Great for bluesy stuff, but that's about it for me.

yes, I agree with you completely. That's exactly why I bought my Champ 600 - specifically to go with my Squier Vintage Modified Strat for blues. For THAT tone, it's sweet as honey. :thu::love:

for versatilty, I'd go with the Vox Valvetronix - and I'd take the Vox over the Cube.

I have a Behringer V-Ampire LX112 combo which freakin' ROCKS, but I don't think the OP needs that much amp yet...

• Members

I have both the Epi Valve Jr. and a Cube 30. If your budget is $200ish and no more for anything like pedals, I would go with the Cube 30 or the Valvetronix AD30vt. Great little amps and the effects and all are useable.

Archived