best inexpencive solo boost?

pimphat22

• Members

Howdy all,

I'm looking for a way to boost my solo volume for live applications. I dont want to change my original sound from the amp as i'm quite happy with it. I just need to pick up some more juice to rise above the rest of the band a bit. I'd love to hear some suggestions. I was looking at the MXR MICRO AMP. Does anyone here own one? I like the idea of just setting one knob and stomping on a switch for solos.

• Members

I could tell you..............Stay away from Seymour Duncan's Boost. First off its a Single Coil boost. Second its a NOISEY .. Mother!

I bought a used one without playing or researching it..Couldn't. But when I got home? Very disappointed. Can't simply go by the SD name on this one!

• Members

Why don't you turn down your guitar volume while playing rhythm?

that is as inexpensive as they come ;)

Actually, it's a good idea - try dialing in your rhythm sound with the guitar turned down a good bit. It also has the virtue of being a variable boost - maybe I'm just stupid when it comes to boost pedals, but I find it hard to get the boost just right so that it's neither too little nr too much. Turning up the guitar more or less make more sense to me.

• Members

I could tell you..............Stay away from Seymour Duncan's Boost. First off its a Single Coil boost. Second its a NOISEY .. Mother!

I bought a used one without playing or researching it..Couldn't. But when I got home? Very disappointed. Can't simply go by the SD name on this one!

I use one of those (with my SG - HB equipped), and I like it a lot. I have it set low, and on my clean channel it gives me a big boost and some dirt (I use that in a couple of songs), and on my OD channel it gives me a slight boost where I want a lick to cut through, but not as agressively as my full on solo boost which is an E.Q pedal. Its not the most versatile pedal in the world, but I definaltely like to have it on the board. Each to their own I suppose.

• Members

I use one of those (with my SG - HB equipped), and I like it a lot. I have it set low, and on my clean channel it gives me a big boost and some dirt (I use that in a couple of songs), and on my OD channel it gives me a slight boost where I want a lick to cut through, but not as agressively as my full on solo boost which is an E.Q pedal. Its not the most versatile pedal in the world, but I definaltely like to have it on the board. Each to their own I suppose.

Your using it strickly for single-coil electrics I assume?

Has your's been noisy at all?

• Members

You certainly can't beat the Dano's for the price. I have bought three PB+J's used and paid under $15. bucks for each of the three. One $15, another $12 at Sam Ash and the best deal was from a pawn shop in town for $10. bucks.

BTW if anyone has a Fish and Chips they don't use and want to sell? PM me.

• Members

I don't use my guitar's volume control for that because when I play out, my amp is usually pretty saturated on rhythms and backing off the volume on the guitar really screws with the gain and overall tone more than it does with the volume.

What works great for me, like others have mentioned, is an EQ pedal in the FX loop. I give it just a slight (2-3db) bump in the mid frequencies (800-1200 hz). Works great and doesn't alter the gain. You can also just turn the level up on the EQ pedal and it'll make you louder without changing the tone at all. I just find that a slight mid bump really makes the leads cut.

I've never used the Dano pedals, but I've used a DOD 7 band EQ and an MXR 6 band EQ. Both work, and I was perfectly happy with the DOD for the few years that I used it, but the MXR is a lot better pedal. It's a lot tougher and doesn't introduce any noise into your signal when you stomp on it, unlike the DOD which is kind of noisey. My DOD's switch failed after a couple of years of gigging. Not bad for a $40 pedal, but like I said, the $80 MXR is a big step up in quality.

• Members

Ditto...........although that's not why I bought it, this is actually a great boost pedal

This one and the Boss GE-7 and a few others have a boost on them. There are many that don't though. My MXR doesn't have a boost. The boost is a great addition to this pedal.

Anyway something to think about and keep an eye on when looking at EQ's.

• Members

wow - you know 'STOMP-box' is just a nick-name...
:D
j/k
:lol:

yeah, I dig quite a few of the Dano food pedals
:thu:

Yup +1

I've got no small equipment budget as I make my living as a guitarist.

I've got probably over a hundred stomps and I like the Fish and Chips pedal just fine. I actually find it more useful than my Boss GE-7 which is pretty noisy if its in front of my amps ( I rarely use loop amps as all my favs are too old for that piece of technology). That 'lil tremelo pedal Dano makes is awsome also.

• Members

Your using it strickly for single-coil electrics I assume?

Has your's been noisy at all?

According to his post, he's using it with an SG equipped with humbuckers...

I use the SD pickup booster with both single-coil and humbucker guitars and I haven't noticed any unwanted noise. I will say that it doesn't seem as effective when used through the effects loop.

It's also really solid...metal casing as opposed to plastic.

Archived