Well Gibson is not the only one

_pete_

• Members

Okay, here's what I want to know...

What would guitar manufacturers stand to gain by chambering the guitars? It's not like they're saving money on wood, they can't reuse the pieces they cut out of the body anyway.

Other than making the guitar lighter, what's the point?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What would guitar manufacturers stand to gain by chambering the guitars? It's not like they're saving money on wood, they can't reuse the pieces they cut out of the body anyway.

Shipping costs.

• Members

Shipping costs.

Do you really think that's the primary reason they're doing it? I can't see these guitar companies being willing to (possibly) sacrifice tone quality to save a few pennies on shipping costs. Maybe they simply want the guitars to be lighter? Would that be a major concern for them?

• Members

That was my question before I saw this post.

What rationale would they use for chambered bodies other than customers wanted lighter ones?

• Members

Do you really think that's the primary reason they're doing it? I can't see these guitar companies being willing to (possibly) sacrifice tone quality to save a few pennies on shipping costs. Maybe they simply want the guitars to be lighter? Would that be a major concern for them?

Now i'm no expert but arn't hallow bodies more toneful then solid bodies.... there for would chambering a solid body not give a guitar a little more resonance? I guess some people arn't into that maybe though.

• Members

I guess I just don't buy the shipping explanation. Especially considering it's normal practice for companies to raise their shipping prices to customers as needed. I can't see guitar companies making a major change to the production methods just to avoid charging their customers $2 extra on shipping.

• Members

Ounces??? try pounds and pounds add up..
:rolleyes:

We're talking about one guitar. Not huge shipments.

Cost would pass to the individual customer.

So, you're saying that their intent is to increase the profit margin by shaving the weight and charging the same amount as a solid?

How many pounds do you think were saved on the PRS at the top of this thread?

• Members

We're talking about one guitar. Not huge shipments.

Cost would pass to the individual customer.

So, you're saying that their intent is to increase the profit margin by shaving the weight and charging the same amount as a solid?

How many pounds do you think were saved on the PRS at the top of this thread?

Um the VM is billed as "Solid"

• Members

People were whine-ing about the weight back then before the chambering.

HAVE YOU ALL FORGOTTEN?

Not many ladies post here but I'll bet the major complainers were them.

I've seen Nancy Wilson and Madonna in pics with LP Standards (I think) and Avril Lavign with a LP DC (which she tossed onto the stage to watch it bounce away). And that's it for women and LP's.

PRS and Gibson aren't saving money by chambering. They're not making toothpicks or mahogany wooden matches or chopsticks. They're placing strategically cut holes in perfectly good wood.

If you don't like them, don't buy one. But they aren't trying to rip any one off.

It's seems no matter what anyone does, there's a complainer some where. Half the crowd is going to hate what ever some one does. Religion, politics, and guitar design.

At least people don't go to war over guitar designs. No Knights Templar from the Vatican to kill Gibson and PRS design teams with sacreligious chambering ideas. (And only because the public seemed to want it).

Although I too will admit, a light LP Standard feels like a fake to me. (I'm not one of them who complained about the weight). But I bet a lot of women and guys with bad backs did.

But if I had one, I'm not going out into the world and talking about it every day. That's my personal info and I wouldn't give a {censored} what anybody else thinks. I bought it because I wanted it and will keep it until it pisses me off.

Guitars are personal. Like guns, girlfriends and what color muscle car I feel like driving today..

• Members

hmmn... an interesting speculative question...

which of course draws out my 2 pesos wurth ..:D

here is my speculative answer...

the mahogany traditionally used for Les Pauls and also the PRS guitars were of the South American variety ..usually from Honduras and/or Brazil

these woods have been used so much in the past (not just for guitars but for furniture as well) that the supply of such mahogany was bound to be limited at some point

when supply is limited and demand remains equal or worse still rise.. then the cost of that particular type of mahogany can ONLY RISE.

ie the manufacturers will then have to pay more (and in some cases MUCH MORE) than what they are used to paying

in the most dire scenarios the manufacturers cannot even obtain enough supply for a typical production run...this will then add to the COST of the guitar and consequently the RETAIL PRICE of the guitar

in times where the market for new guitars is SOFT and/or extremely discriminating (read.. ppl go for bang for buck rather than pay premium for 'great guitars') such an addition to the bottom line in the cost of the guitar invites failure to hold market share ...because other cheaper guitars will fill the demand..this in turn invites disaster upon said manufacturers

enter.. 'mahogany' from places other than South America

e.g. Asian mahogany.. or even African mahogany

these woods are in plentiful supply atm because they were not used in the past the way Honduras and Brazilian mahogany was utilised

however, there is a small problem with using such substitutes..

and that is the varying weight factor relative to the South American varieties. This could be due to many causes (lack of drying/minerals in the earth/natural differences/etc etc)..but that is moot. It is the variation in weight and espc the tendency for quite significant quantities to be relatively 'heavy' that SPOILS it for manufacturers intending to use such a substitute to save the day (ie keep costs low..and thus keep market share for their BRAND..and thus ensure profitability of manufacturer stays the same or even improve to some extent)

enter.. 'chambering' , or 'weight relieving' concepts

which serves to keep the ONLY distinguishing factor between South American mahogany and other types of mahogany OUT of the guitar players' zone of attention (a limited zone mind you..but even stoned out guitar playas notice the heavier guitar they now slug around)

unfortunately .. such 'chambering' and 'weight relieving' can potentially alter the tone of the guitar to such an extent as to be no longer the 'tone' created by the original Saouth American mahogany type guitars in the first place

moreover, some chambering methods do alter the stabilty of the wood around the BRIDGE area ...espc if chambering goes real close to the BRIDGE 'pins'

of course many would say...'bah...cork sniffer...it dunt make a difference' ...

well ok... but dunt you then turn around and spray me wiv 'but my long tenon sounds better than yer short tenon' BS :D

in any case, the use of 'substitutes' for 'the real thing' is what causes all the angst ..espc when combined with methods that essentially serve to HIDE the obvious differences between the 'substitute' and the 'real thing'

-------------------------------

this also explains why certain models make it OBVIOUS in the advertising that they use the 'lighter mahogany' and charges a premium for it

these are usually the HIGH END models ,.. which of course HAS NO chambering because it is not required

REAL South American mahogany has been used here.. :D

the public advertising for the hollowed/chambered/weight relieved models particularly from Gibson make NO mention in the marketing of such a change in construction leading some folks to accuse them of passing such items off as the 'real thing' when they plainly are not. Moreover, such Les Pauls are often listed in the SOLIDBODY sections of electric guitars in popular online guitar retail spots ..which is laughable at best...and fraudulent at worst.

i would imagine MOST of the public will not even realise or know that current non custom shop LP's are actually (semi)hollow/chambered inside.

----------------------------------

my 2 pesos wurth of course

:D

• Members

Reasons to chamber:

1. lighter weight

2. lightweight mahogany does not ship in quantity anymore

3. increase resonance

4. more complex tone

Reasons not to chamber

1. you're selling it as a "solid body guitar" (*cough* Gibson)

2. The guitar's whole basic design is based around a solid plank of wood (that would be the Lester)

3. sustain

4. feedback issues (if done improperly)

Shipping? :freak:

Are you guys serious?

• Members

years ago people bitched that Lesters were heavy. now people bitch that they are weight relieved. there will always be some one bitching regardless of what happens.

Ladies and gents we have a winner!!! dammed if they do dammed if they don't.People will bitch no matter what just to hear their own voice.:blah::blah::blah:

Archived