Do you tend to use the same pups in your guitars?

_pete_

• Members

I never realized until tonight that I don't. I always thought of myself as a Duncan guy but I suppose that's not true.

Edwards LP- Gibson 57+/57

Epi Sheraton- Duncan Seth Lover/Stock Epi neck

PRS CE24- stock PRS HFS/Vintage Bass

White Strat- Lawrence L500R/2 Duncan Five-Two single coils

Red Strat- BG Bucker/2 stock Fender MIJ single coils

Double neck- Epi Elitist (Duncan 59 neck on 6 string)

The incoming Epi LP has Duncan Alnico Pro's.

I never noticed that no two guitars have the same pups. I wouldn't change any of them either.

• Members

i have the stock '57's in my '57 and '59, alnico II pros in my slash sig and silverburst and am dyin to get a '56 to throw some duncan hot p90s into.

i think that'll cover the sonic boundaries i wanna cover. so, no, i like a bit of variety.

i admit, though ... i read a review on the duncan active p'ups in the new guitar world and, despite my typical disdain for active p'ups ... i'd kinda like to try 'em out. the review was pretty stellar.

• Members

I just tend to go for humbucker guitars and noticed that some players have a "go to" pup that they always use like a JB or an EMG 81.

I like them all to sound different but I think I found pickups that match well with the guitars they're in.

• Members

i have the stock '57's in my '57 and '59, alnico II pros in my slash sig and silverburst and am dyin to get a '56 to throw some duncan hot p90s into.

i think that'll cover the sonic boundaries i wanna cover. so, no, i like a bit of variety.

i admit, though ... i read a review on the duncan active p'ups in the new guitar world and, despite my typical disdain for active p'ups ... i'd kinda like to try 'em out. the review was pretty stellar.

I'm not big on actives either but I do really love the EMG SA in a Strat.

• Members

there've been times i've written some stuff that would have been way more rad with A LOT of gain. which is the only reason that review caught my eye. maybe the active p'ups would push my marshall into where i wanted to go with those particular pieces.

dunno if i'll ever actually do it, but who knows? maybe i'll get good and drunk one night, order a set and when they get there be like "well {censored}, might as well try 'em out!"

hehheh

• Members

stock epi pickups, {censored}ty squier pickups in my strat, and SD distortion in my bridge and a pearly gates in the neck of my schecter, so i like a wee bit of variety too, and to aenemated, those blackouts look really cool, cause to tell you the truth i hate emg's

• Members

I kept the stock PUs in my Fender Am fat telecaster, a DH-1 neck humbucker and a souped up Fender single coil at the bridge. The pair sounds fantastic as-is. Suprising btw, this is the first guitar that I have kept completely stock.

For my Jackson Dinky, I have installed a Dimarzio SD at the bridge and a PAF Pro at the neck. This is my favorite pickup pair that I have used in many guitars.

I tend to agree with previous posts in this thread, why bother with a bunch of guitars that all sound the same?.

G.

• Members

I just sold a DeArmond, in part because it had the same Gold Tones as another DeArmond I have.

Now none of my guitars have the exact same pickups:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Double Cutaway (US 1997) 490/498

Hamer P-90 Special (US 1996) Seymour Duncan P-90s

Gibson Les Paul Classic (US 1999) 496/500

Fender American Vintage '52 Telecaster Reissue (US 1987) Am. Vintage singles

Fender Tex-Mex Tele Special (MX 1997) Tex-Mex bridge single and neck HB

Ovation Breadwinner (solidbody elec., US ~1973) Ovation torroidal sinlge coils

Rickenbacker 620 (US 1991) Hi-Gain singles

De Armond Jet Star (KOR 2000) US Gold Tone HB pickups

Fender Duo-Sonic (US 1960) Fender Duo-Sonic singles

Fender Squier Precision Bass (JPN c.1987) Split HB

Fender Standard Jazz Bass (MX c.1993) Jazz singles