What's the deal with Canadian music?

Hard Truth

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by meandi

wasn't red ryder (lunicac fringe) canadian?

Fronted by Tom Cochrane "Life is a Highway". Yes, Canadian.

My favorite Canadian bands are Matapat, a cool fusion of traditional Quebecois, jazz, world and funk, and Le Vent du Nord, who have more energy than any punk band I've ever seen, though they are a "fok" group.

• Members

It is not incumbent on Canadians to have national character anymore than you or I can claim credit for the delta blues and barbershop quartet. I'm sure, for example, if you took the time to explore Nova Scotia, you would hear some the wildest, unspoiled creole and acadian music left on the globe. But "national character" is like a tree falling in the forest, to use an Canada-appropriate metaphor.

Anyway, tons of great music comes from Canada. Tons of great literature, film, culture generally. Something like 3/5ths of the population of Canada lives in a concentrated area on the northern rim of the Lake Ontario and east, encomapssing the Ottawa, Toronto and Montreal metropolitan areas. If you haven't visited any of those cities, you really should. They rock.

• Members

Under achievers, eh? Get me on the ice with you buddy and I'll Jersey you and take a major just for the pleasure of smacking some sense into you.

Lots of Canadian artists, in all genres.

oh, and Celine Dione used to rock pretty good when she was gigging in Montreal, but then the CBC got hold of her, and then she went to Vegas, and well, that was all she wrote.....

Oscar Peterson is (was, RIP, I think?) Canadian, for all you jazz nuts.

Tony Bennet is Canadian, comes back to the St Paddies day Parade in Ottawa every year. At least I am pretty sure he's still doing it.

Anyone remeber April Wine, Triumph, Aldo Nova, Glass Tiger, Martha and the Muffins, Saga. Crowbar (ohhhhhh, what a feeling, what a rushshshshshshshs), Helix, Teenage Head (never got a US deal, I think) Goddo (Greg Godovits screwed up his US ddeal)

or 54/40 (Hootie covered one of their tunes) or Sloan, Default (produced by Chad from Nickelback), Headstones (now broken up), Junk House(now broken up, but Tom Wilson continues on)

Anyone seen Bachman Cummings lately? AKA , the Guess Who that cannot now use the name due to legal issues. Cummings can sing as well now as he could 35 years ago, it'll give you chills.

Toronto and Vacouver have developed a pretty deep urban/rap music scene. Not my thing, but Canadian Much Music covers a lot of it.

Country music is pretty big up here, esp in the west. Michelle Wright, Paul Brandt, Terry Clark, just to name a very few. Calgary has a HUGE country music scene, and is just a great party city. When ever we get a westerner at one of our gigs, we know about it, they love live and they show it!

I think the biggest issues for Canadians are touring (it's a BIG country with 1/10th the US population) and local population bases big enough to support live music. Once you are out of the really big cities Halifax, St John, St Johns, Quebec City, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto (Oshawa to Burlington, ie, north of lake Ontario) Hamilton, St Cathrins/Niagre (right across from Buffalo), then west to Winnipeg, Regina, Edmonton, Calgary, Vacouver Victoria Kamloops, that is about it. Most other cities other than these are LESS than 100,000 people. Like another posted, most of the population is in the Montreal to Toronto corridor. Outside of that, it sucks. Good luck making $300 a night for a 4 pc band.

Gear is expensive and hard to get, too, especially if you are in the boonies.

Very few of the US web music sellers ship into Canada because of the manufactuer's protecting Canadian distributors. There are really only two music stores of note in Canada, Long and McQuade, a chain, and Steves in Toronto, plus a few other places.

But we still rock.

As to vapid radio, hey we have our share of brittany fans up here, too. And we don't have college radio like the US does. Still, we have some pretty good commercial stations, and the CBC tries really hard to represent all types of music, from Celtic roots stuff like Lahey to Deep House. So that is pretty cool.

Underachievers, NOT. Commercially viable in the US, often not, often we get overlooked. Except for Celine!

Cheers!

• Members
Originally posted by fishmanrod

....Anyone remeber April Wine,
Triumph
, Aldo Nova, Glass Tiger, Martha and the Muffins,
Saga

...Country music is pretty big up here, esp in the west. Michelle Wright, Paul Brandt, Terry Clark, just to name a very few. Calgary has a HUGE country music scene, and is just a great party city. When ever we get a westerner at one of our gigs, we know about it, they love live and they show it!...

I can't believe I forgot to mention Triumph! :freak: Didn't know Glass Tiger or Saga are Canadians. Saga had maybe two songs I really loved and that was it. (On The Loose and Wind Him Up.)

But Triumph had lots of great songs. One of my favorites to play is Midsummer's Daydream.

• Members

Thank you FishmanRod for the type of response I was hoping for. I was hoping for info on, and a defense of, the scene up there.

Does anyone know what's up with Cajun (Arcadian or whatever you call it) music up there?

I hate to say it, but for the most part, the list of artists from Canadia that have had success in the States (Celine Dion, Triumph, BTO) is not impressive especially when compared to the number of greats from England.

• Members

On the other hand.... there is a parallel music industry in Canada, that exists primarily (99%) in Quebec. It is French language pop music. And... God.... it's awful. If I can generalize, there are two main types of artists in the mainstream, the pop singers and the folk inspired pop artists. The pop artists are generally either Celine Dion wanna be's like Isabelle Boulay, or graduates from Star Academie (a American Idol meets Big Brother TV show). These artists usually sing songs written by a handful of true power brokers of songwriting, recording and live performance. The singers are for the most part interchangeable. Then there are the folk inspired "singer songwriters". They are more serious.... and usually play acoustic guitar backed with a full band. Ofcourse there are some more modern twists of these two types- "Les Cowboys Fringant" is a good example, but they are the exception, not the rule.

The worst part of this industry is that to make ends meet, the artists have to appease all radio formats. The population is too small to be niche in any way. The rockers have to be smooth, the balladeers have to have the occassional rock tune. It makes for a uniformity and taste-free drivel that appeases everyone but says nothing new.

There are some good apples though, such as Daniel Belanger (which I would say is the only world class French singing Quebecoise artist), but most trail so far behind American/British standards that it is embarrassing to listen to them back to back. (my opinion of course)

• Members

Originally posted by Hard Truth

Does anyone know what's up with Cajun (Arcadian or whatever you call it) music up there?

that's where it originally comes from 'cajun is a bastardization of Acadian -- a lot of French Acadians got displaced from Nova Scotia by the brits in the mid 1700's

ever wonder why the traditional cajun house is an A-frame in a place with no snow?

Creole is a little different - creole is a linguistic term for the blending of languages (it's esstantially a pidgin that evolves into a full language). Musically it's the blending of the Acadian music with the influences from the Caribbean trade routes.

Funny personal note on the culture :

It's kinda funny -- I've got one friend (one of the neuroscientists) from Louisiana was abt 24 when she found out everyone else called "Lost Bread" (A literal translation of the French - Pain Perdu) by the name "French Toast". She was a bit disappointed when she got plain old lost bread when ordering the exotic "French Toast"

I'm not sure if it would happen with any later generations with television, the internet and all

• Members
Originally posted by UstadKhanAli

Have you never experienced the beautiful vocal stylings of William Shatner?

B0000014WS.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1115530

Actually, no, I have not. I was not aware that he had ever recorded music.

However, I wish that I could say the same for John Ashcorft... :freak:

I'll have to seek out some Shatner tunes.

• Members
Ani! Nobody said Shatner recorded music... at least not good music! :eek: Run screaming from Shatner's "vocal stylings"! For the sake of your children!

William Shatner is living large in the role of Denny Crane on Boston Legal. He was born for this role, an egomaniac of epic proportions who does have skill and talent in his chosen profession. But a singer he is not, was not and likely will never be.

• Members
Originally posted by Ani

I'll have to seek out some Shatner tunes.

Oh, the beautiful vocal stylings of William Shatner...yes. If you would like to hear him as well as others, look no further than Golden Throats. There'll you'll find not only Shatner, but his First Office Leonard Nimoy, as well as Jim Nabors and others:

TRACK LIST

* Proud Mary - Leonard Nimoy
* It Ain't Me Babe - Sebastian Cabot
* Blowin' In The Wind - Eddie Albert
* Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds - William Shatner
* A Whiter Shade Of Pale - Noel Harrison
* I Can See For Miles - Frankie Randall
* Try A Little Tenderness - Jack Webb
* Twist And Shout - Mae West
* House Of The Rising Sun - Andy Griffith
* Mr. Tambourine Man - William Shatner
* You Are The Sunshine Of My Life - Jim Nabors
* White Room - Joel Grey
* Like A Rolling Stone - Sebastian Cabot
* If I Had A Hammer - Leonard Nimoy

Yes. So good.... :D

70187.jpg

• Members

Some others that haven't been mentioned:

The Arcade Fire (Montreal)
Skinny Puppy (Montreal)
Voivod (Montreal)
Violent Femmes (Vancouver)
SNFU (Edmonton)
Nelly Furtado (Victoria)
Michael Buble (Vancouver)

And there was this folk-rock band called Spirit of the West that was really popular for a while that never made it big in the US.

Oh, and Rush. :-)

• Members
Originally posted by Ani

:cry:

I took the Amazon sample plunge.....

Ohhhhhhh, my achey breaky ears.....

Truly amazing stuff. Shatner released *another* CD a little while back, maybe a couple of years ago. No, I haven't heard it. Bill Shatner makes Mrs. Miller seem like a seasoned opera singer. :D

• Members
Originally posted by Greenshoe

Some others that haven't been mentioned:

The Arcade Fire (Montreal)

Skinny Puppy (Montreal)

Voivod (Montreal)

Violent Femmes (Vancouver)

SNFU (Edmonton)

Nelly Furtado (Victoria)

Michael Buble (Vancouver)

And there was this folk-rock band called Spirit of the West that was really popular for a while that never made it big in the US.

Oh, and Rush. :-)

Uh... I can't say about the others, but by all accounts the 'Femmes were formed in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Where did you get the idea they were from Vancouver? Or are one or more of the band members Canadian by birth? :confused: {edit: According to a number of websites including www.violentfemmes.net all three members are Milwaukee-area natives, although in an interview last year Brian Ritchie said he's Sri Lanken. I don't know if he meant that's his heritage or that he was born there. end edit}

And yes, Rush was previously mentioned, first by Ken in the third reply to this thread. ;)

Archived