Strings for Strat

mhoward

• Members

My American Deluxe Strat came with Fender bullet .09 strings, so I've kept them on it. But the high strings sound kind of dead. I asked the setup guy in the shop about it, and he said Fender bullets aren't so good. He said the best and most consistent ones for a strat are either D'Addorio XL or Ernie Ball Slinky's. He said my setup isn't bad (maybe a little high).

.10's would probably sound better too... I'll probably get it re-setup for .10's next time.

Anyone have opinions/advice on strings for strats?

• Members

I am using ernie ball slinky .10 on my strat. Plays and feels really good! I would try those musicians friends strings that are 1.99, they are most likely a repackaged named brand. I really like the D'Addario XL and Ernie ball slinky. I find the D'Addario to last longer however.

• Members

Back in the day, I used Ernie Ball strings.

For the past 10 years or so, I've been using D'Addario .009 - .042 on all my guitars, LP, Strat(s) and Tele(s). The seem to last longer, don't break and feel nice. I buy them 10packs at a time from MF or ZZounds. Great strings and very affordable (like $3.50 a pack).

• Members

Brand of strings? Totally subjective. There is no consensus - find what you like.

I personally think a fresh set of strings is very important to have on a guitar, but particularly Strats - it will emphasize the chime and quack that makes Strats sound so good.

For gauge, I would go as high as you are comfortable playing on. SRV could make those 13s sing but I couldn't bend them for the life of me. I use 10s.

• Members
My American Deluxe Strat came with Fender bullet .09 strings, so I've kept them on it. But the high strings sound kind of dead. I asked the setup guy in the shop about it, and he said Fender bullets aren't so good. He said the best and most consistent ones for a strat are either D'Addorio XL or Ernie Ball Slinky's. He said my setup isn't bad (maybe a little high).

.10's would probably sound better too... I'll probably get it re-setup for .10's next time.

Anyone have opinions/advice on strings for strats?

I'd go a little heavier on the top two strings to fatten up your higher notes on leads. Maybe something like 11-48 for standard.

• Members

I have 6 Strats and I use D'Addario XL 10-46s on all of them. Some have wound third strings (.018"), some don't (unwound .017"). Depends on what I want at the time....the wound .018s seem to give a beefier blues tone, the unwound .017s seem to work better for rock.

Roger

Archived