Are GFS Humbuckers any good?

burton4snow

• Members
I just put a set of Mean 90's in a guitar of mine. Those are some full on badass p'ups!

I took out a pair of Dream 90's that were nice but not quite what I was looking for. The Means are a little more output and suit my tastes much better as they will punish a tube amp but clean up beautifully when you back off the guitar's volume. If you're looking for high output P90's don't let the low price scare you off, they rawk!
:rawk:

:wave:

• Members

I put a Crunchy PAF in a mid level Jackson, sounded excellent but higher output that I usually go for these days. And I had the two Dream 180s that came in my Xaviere. Distinctive... I really liked them, but if I had the chance, I'd probably put the Dream 180 in the bridge position of another guitar and go with either a Mean or Dream 90 in the neck position.

Right now, the only one I still have is a 10k Lil Killer in the bridge position of my MIJ strat which is my main guitar. I wanted an HB in the bridge, but the MIJs are only routed for S/S/S and I didn't want to try routing the body. It's perfectly good, but not exceptional. It's dead quiet and sounds like an HB should, but I had an SD Little 59 which I prefer overall. Never had a chance to A/B them, and they were in very different guitars, but my recollection is being a bit happier with the Little 59. Having said that, I never liked how the Little 59 looked, and I still remember it not sounding quite as good as the full size 59 or Alinco II or Ibanez Super 58s. Though my Lil Killer is lower output than a Hot Rails, I'd say that I definitely prefer the Lil Killer to the Hot Rails hands down.

But... and here's what really counts... the Lil Killer is still in my main guitar after a year. That says a lot!

I think if I were to try another single coil-sized HB, I'd go for an SD Vintage Rails or an SD Duckbucker.

• Members

I just put a set of Mean 90's in a guitar of mine. Those are some full on badass p'ups!

I took out a pair of Dream 90's that were nice but not quite what I was looking for. The Means are a little more output and suit my tastes much better as they will punish a tube amp but clean up beautifully when you back off the guitar's volume. If you're looking for high output P90's don't let the low price scare you off, they rawk!
:rawk:

OK, so the mean 90's are hotter, how much hotter are we talikng here?

I was actually wondering how they comapre tonally as well. The pickup would go in the neck position of my Agile Valkyrie (all mahagonay set neck guitar)

Thanks

• Members

Sorry if this is a little off topic but how are the guitarfetish electronics? Are their pots etc a huge improvement over the stuff you normally find in cheap guitars or more of the same?

They're Alpha pots, just like the Alpha pots you'd get anywhere else. I think those and CTS are generally well regarded. The pot I bought for my project guitar from GFS seems to have a nice enough roll off..

• Members

I have a couple sets od GFS pups in. Fat PAFs and Dream 180's.

Honestly? The Dream 180s BRIDGE sounds like a GOOD 50's PAF to me. They are CLEAN, CLEAR and Balanced and their OVERDRIVE Tone is exceptional. The FAT PAF bridge is good also. Though I prefer the Dream 180...more character.

A comparison? I'll tell you what, I been covering old Clapton/Cream with the 650/Dream-180's Axe. And it just NAILS the Tone dead on. Of course your amp with make a difference and I prefer Big Fender Combo's. Twin Reverbs and Super Reverbs and I have a Bandmaster/Reverb I LOVE!

I do not know what the intension of the Dream 180 was/is? Don't honestly care. The pups work for me. I am seriously thinking about going with them in a couple higher end solidbodys. I'm a little scared I'm NOT gonna get the Tone I'm getting with this 650 Semi though?

The FAT PAF in the Bridge is a very good sounding PUP also. Though in the neck? Both the Fat PAF and the Dream 180 seem a little cloudy to me...dull or something. I'm constantly trying to clean up the tone on BOTH those Neck pick-ups? Not BAD by any means.. I just prefer a cleaner Tone in the neck. But if you like say...........Gibsons 57 Classic in the neck? Then both neck pups I mentioned will work for you.

A GREAT neck pick-up to me................The GIBSON BB-PRO. I like my neck Tone THAT clear and clean.

BTW I REALLY like the Classic 57 in the Bridge also, better than the BB-Pro their. BUT in the neck? Its all BB-Pro!

• Members

+1 on the Dream 180's. I got the Fillertron looking ones renamed "Dreamtrons". I put them in a Epiphone Les Peal Standard Plus Top to replace the stock pickups which were feeding back something aweful. They were a huge improvement and I have been real happy with them. I bought them both the half of the price of one DiMarzio anything. I would have no problem buying GFS pickups again.

• Members

wow - I learn something new everyday

until today I didn't know EMG HZs sounded bad, or that P94s didn't sound like a P90

thanks guys for setting me straight

I like HZ's personally, people just expect to get the Black Album tone of out them and then get pissed

• Members

I have a set in my Les Paul Standard DC. I installed them then decided to put a graphite nut on as well but haven't gotten that done yet so the guitar hasn't even been strung with the new pickups in yet. Once I get the nut done I'll let you know if I like them.

Archived