Ain't life a bitch....gettin old...Am I alone here ?

guitarchaz

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Every little bit can help make you a better player. From jamming along with CDs and picking up licks and ideas, to practicing as little as a half hour a day, you WILL see improvement. If you're happy with where you are, that's great. But if you want to get "better" and be able to do more, you can. I know time is tight, but there's no reason you can't find a half hour in most days (maybe more on some and less on others).

Your age won't get in your, but your mind-set certainly will (and seems like it has already). Don't give up on yourself or make excuses for yourself. If you want it, do it. I know you can, but you have to want to (kinda like quitting any horrible vice, but this is just doing more of playing and that's nothing but good).

• Members

I guess now I should go back and read the other posts to see how much I've repeated what's already been said...

Hmmm sounds like old age kicking in.. LOL. Kidding!! Not to worry. Comments appreciated nonetheless. And actually, I don't think you did repeat much.

• Members

Every little bit can help make you a better player. From jamming along with CDs and picking up licks and ideas, to practicing as little as a half hour a day, you WILL see improvement. If you're happy with where you are, that's great. But if you want to get "better" and be able to do more, you can. I know time is tight, but there's no reason you can't find a half hour in most days (maybe more on some and less on others).

Your age won't get in your, but your mind-set certainly will (and seems like it has already). Don't give up on yourself or make excuses for yourself. If you want it, do it. I know you can, but you have to want to (kinda like quitting any horrible vice, but this is just doing more of playing and that's nothing but good).

Really? You think 1/2 hour a day practice sessions will help him get any noticeable gains in his chops?

If so that really surprises me to hear anybody say that. When I was a kid I used to practice 8 hours a day everyday and I have to say my progress was VERY gradual. Progress was noticeable after months of playing like that and after doing that for a year or more I really haven't needed to practice much since. With a half hour a day I doubt I could do anymore than just maintain the chops I already have. I can't imagine any gains that anybody would notice but hey, maybe it's just me.

Half hour a day... Interesting concept. I don't see it but interesting nonetheless.

• Members
Really? You think 1/2 hour a day practice sessions will help him get any noticeable gains in his chops?

If so that really surprises me to hear anybody say that. When I was a kid I used to practice 8 hours a day everyday and I have to say my progress was VERY gradual. Progress was noticeable after months of playing like that and after doing that for a year or more I really haven't needed to practice much since. With a half hour a day I doubt I could do anymore than just maintain the chops I already have. I can't imagine any gains that anybody would notice but hey, maybe it's just me.

Half hour a day... Interesting concept. I don't see it but interesting nonetheless.

Of course, I'd spend at least 10 to 15 minutes of that time setting up my gear and dialing in my tone. :D

• Members

As with any similar endeavor, anything is better than nothing. And commitment to the time and focusing on what you want to do will make the time much more effective. I notice after a the half hour or so I play during any given week (if I get that much in) my muscle memory has kicked and I'm playing far better than when I started, and that's just noodling and screwing around. But if one practiced just, say, sweep picking for a half hour a day (and I mean diligently) there will be real results in a few weeks or months. Of course it would be gradual, more so than when one has 5-10 hours a day to dedicate to playing, but there can be effective results.

That said, I know folks who were musical freaks and never did or needed to practice nearly as much as I did to be many leagues more accomplished as players. Basically every one learns in their own way and at their own pace. And once you get a regular practice regimen in place it's much easier to focus on a given area or task and it's hard to not increase the sessions to 45 minutes or an hour (and eventually more if you can or want to).

It's just like exercise. The best results will be with a lifestyle change including diet, some form of daily fitness routine (weights, biking, running, swimming, tennis, or even just walking), and commitment to those changes and activity. But even just a half hour daily brisk walk and cutting back on fats and carbs (fast carbs that is) can and will benefit most people. No you won't have washboard abs and buns of steel anytime soon, but you'll better off than if you'd sat in front of the TV and vegged out. So the shorter daily practice won't turn most of us into (insert you favorite highly accomplished guitar player here), but it make you a better player...if you really put in the effort.

• Members
Of course, I'd spend at least 10 to 15 minutes of that time setting up my gear and dialing in my tone.
:D

Ain't that the truth. Of course if your chops are in good shape the tone never seems to be much of an issue far as I can tell.

• Members
Of course, I'd spend at least 10 to 15 minutes of that time setting up my gear and dialing in my tone.
:D

While I know you're kidding, I wouldn't even plug in. In fact I'd use and acoustic if you've got one. Getting "better," as you described it in your original post, will have little to do with your sound at this point. You're look more at improvements in technique that will sound better with a great sound, but learning them only requires that guitar be in your hands.

I'm only 35 (I say "only," but it seems so damned old to me already :cry:), but I've found the same struggles for time and I need to get back to playing more because it brings me joy. Prior to my recent decade plus long lull I tried to practice regularly and as a result used to be a FAR better player than I am today. I'm not saying I'll get back to that, but I'd sure like to try...and maybe I'll even get better than I ever was. We've just got to want it and I know I do.

I'm actually looking at getting some recording equipment again and really using to help myself get better, track some of the music I've written over the years, and, hopefully, inspire more of the same. Just one of those more basic all-in-one digital dealeos, but that'll be nough for to get the ball rolling. I know my time is way off these days and the first recordings will be horrible, but it'll be a good reality check and kick in the pants.

• Members
When I was young, I had hours and hours to practice and play, but no money to buy gear. Now I'm older (44), married w/kids, good job, etc...have money for gear, and not enough time to use it. Wouldn't trade any of my current "problems" though. I'm very blessed I know.

I'll try to make you feel younger.

I "started" playing guitar at the age of 43. Yes, I did skip that "young and didn't have the money for gear" stage, but would have traded that to have started playing earlier.

Look at your playing now as just a wonderful and guilty pleasure. Anything is gravy.

The bottom line is "can you still rock?" :rawk::rawk::badump::rawk: Particularly when so many of our rock icons have mellowed in their later years.

By the way, I'm 57 and rocking as hard or harder than when I was young and playing the drums. I'm finding guitar a lot more fun....and a lot more expensive.

• Members

I'm 43 and take my 6 post-heart attack pills per day, but I'm still playin dammit!

I dont care that I've been working on crazy train for the last couple of months now, it sounds ok and I'm actually getting faster. Holy crap!

• Members

42, no heart attacks (yet). I play daily now after taking a multi-year break for no good reason. It took me a couple of months to feel like I was back to where I was at one point. Since then I am getting a little better thanks to drilling forcing myself to learn things I can barely play at the start. In fact, I've come up with some leads for a friend's demo that I had to practice to get right. That's a weird feeling, writing something you can't play and having to learn it ;)

• Members

" Folks, I'm 54 .. been playing 40 years. This past summer, I was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer, but luckily, it was in very early stages and the surgery probably got all there was. I only missed one gig.
I learned one important lesson.
The only thing worse than getting old, is NOT getting old.
Know what I mean ? " M.S.

• Members

44?Yep,you are old:freak:.Give it up.

I'm 43 and have been playing for 20 years,and I still sound like crap.

Them damned kids might be able to play faster,but they don't impress me.No soul,tone,feel...and they won't stay off my lawn:cop:Wait,I guess I'm old too:confused:

D

• Members

Another old fart checking in :)
My chops peaked around 30....fell off a truck at 33 and injured my spinal cord....took another 7 years to re- learn how to walk and play guitar again. Just started getting my old chops back and had a stroke at 50...cant hardly use my left hand anymore...so I learned bottleneck slide guitar......now Im still rockin pretty good. It dont matter how old I get I can always play the Blues! :thu:
....slip....sliding...away...

• Members

" Folks, I'm 54 .. been playing 40 years. This past summer, I was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer, but luckily, it was in very early stages and the surgery probably got all there was. I only missed one gig.

I learned one important lesson.

The only thing worse than getting old, is NOT getting old.

Know what I mean ? " M.S.

Yes, absolutely! Better old than buried. Good thing you caught it early. I only took up playing again after my heart attack. Kind of like a rebirth type of thing I guess, I dunno. It's probably all pretty psycological or just plain nuts.

• Members

I'm chuggin along in years as well. When I was coming up most of the old men were WWII vets or older and I really enjoyed the way they played. Those old guys could flat out rock. I wish I had learned more from them than I did.

• Members

I started at 45; after taking my two daughters for lessons and seeing them not practice, I decided to take the lessons with them, knowing I would practice! The truth is, even with practicing I was a wayyy slower learner . But I have been skiing since I was 8 and they can not keep up with me! It is much easier to learn when you are young and it seems to keep longer. They have since quit the guitar and I have become alot better at aquiring guitars then skills, but I love playing and that is all that matters. I think 30 minutes a day would be fine to keep up your level.

• Members

I'm 52. I realized that half the {censored} I used to do in my 20s (or even 30s for that matter) ain't gonna happen much anymore. So, I recognize where I'm at and I roll with it. In other words, I got comfortable with whatever limitations I now have compared to way back when. I still ENJOY playing guitar a lot and realized I liked playing a lot more once I took myself out of some self-imposed competition. Simply put, I can't compete with my younger self so I don't even try.

• Members

I'm 37, I have had to concede my motocross career to age because there are to many diminishing returns on getting banged up, but I will always ride and race a bit. I also have realized that in rock climbing, I'm not nearly as limber as I was when I was 23, but will keep climbing. I could go on with my list of concessions, but I will cut it short and say that I will not concede guitar. Though I am not able to practice for 6 hours a day anymore, hell sometimes I'm lucky to get to play 6 hours in a week, I will still try to be the best I can be. I'm without a band right now because the guys I last played with owned a studio and finally gave up the ghost. They shut the studio down and have practically quit playing. I don't know how they could do that. They were a few years older than me, but that hunk of mahogany (or alder, basswood, maple etc...) with 6 strings (sometimes 7) will always be my obsession. It is a blessing and curse.

Archived