my new "bootik" rig (NAD)

Alchemist

• Members

single el 84 - single 12ax7 right?

so how does it sound?

Looks nice and simple, just like I like it!
:)

AJC

sounds great, all at reasonable volume.... the only setting I dont like is attenuator on full and volume on full.... theres too much sag and compression.... but every other setting up until attenuator on full and volume 3/4 is completely usefull and sounds great....

the clean is also very full with attenuator off.... no need for reverb, overall it sounds very nice, and I'm sure the nice cab helps the cause as well....

• Members

Really cool amp. I've been meaning to try a Dr. Z for some time but I can never seem to find one in person...

if you were feeling brave, you could always just buy one used, then flip it if its not to your tastes.... probably worth doing, I dont think you would be dissapointed....

They sound very full, one of the few amps where I didnt miss not having reverb... same goes for the Z28 and Carmen Ghia... I was actually looking to buy one of those plus an attenuator, but then I tried this little guy, and it sounded just as good, and its not like I will be gigging anytime soon (and certainly not with this rig, its more of a recording setup), so no sense in buying more than I need....

• Members

if you were feeling brave, you could always just buy one used, then flip it if its not to your tastes.... probably worth doing, I dont think you would be dissapointed....

They sound very full, one of the few amps where I didnt miss not having reverb... same goes for the Z28 and Carmen Ghia... I was actually looking to buy one of those plus an attenuator, but then I tried this little guy, and it sounded just as good, and its not like I will be gigging anytime soon (and certainly not with this rig, its more of a recording setup), so no sense in buying more than I need....

Yeah, I'm not really looking to buy, more of a test drive for my curiosity. I'm pretty happy with my amp rig and can't afford/justify any more major gear purchases until I finish college and like...have a job :D

• Members

ahhhh, yeah thats college life for ya.... thankfully I start getting $26,000 a year this may for my PHD, so that will be nice, expect more NGD, and NAD!!!!111!!!! from me come this fall :D lol

oh and I know the little guy is stealing the show, but I gotta say the Dr Z cab is also really nice! Great tone, and projection, nice sturdy build, very clean and elegant.

013.jpg

011.jpg

• Members

im sorry i gotta say it on your NAD, hope you dont mind, but 750 for a valve junior with an attenuator? explain to me the differences, oh and sorry i sound like an asshole, but sticker shock just smacked me in the face with its long hairy cock

• Members

{censored}in aye, Al! That looks sweet. I was following your other thread, as you know. I definitely want to hear some clips. This might be EXACTLY right for me (haha. of course, we'll have to see how that 18W sounds first).

What speakers does he have in the cab? And why'd you go open back? Or is that the only option?

Also, how's the crunch on it when you turn it up? How much vs. how much clean does this give you (with attenuator flexibility)? Have you tried any dirt pedals in front of it? Give us the scoop.

• Members

im sorry i gotta say it on your NAD, hope you dont mind, but 750 for a valve junior with an attenuator? explain to me the differences, oh and sorry i sound like an asshole, but sticker shock just smacked me in the face with its long hairy cock

why do I have to explain the difference....

but why would anyone pay $950 for an american tele when they can buy a squier for $150.... work that one out for yourself;)

• Members

{censored}in aye, Al! That looks sweet. I was following your other thread, as you know. I definitely want to hear some clips. This might be EXACTLY right for me (haha. of course, we'll have to see how that 18W sounds first).

What speakers does he have in the cab? And why'd you go open back? Or is that the only option?

Also, how's the crunch on it when you turn it up? How much vs. how much clean does this give you (with attenuator flexibility)? Have you tried any dirt pedals in front of it? Give us the scoop.

the cab is close back, the panels are removable, I just took one off for the photo so you can see the speakers, they are a special design for Dr Z, I believe the parts are from eminence, not sure.....

The gain is good enough for any classic rock, the clean is pretty low headroom, but you get this great full clean with edge of breakup when you pick harder for a good amount of volume....

also, the amp is very responsive to pick attack, its very quiet, actually the quietest amp I own at the moment or have owned so far, pretty impressed by that....

overall its a good amp, I know its a little pricey, because amps are not judged by tone or build quality, but by the amount of knobs and wattage they have in comparison with other amps:cool:

• Members

Thanks
:)

the cab is close back, the panels are removable, I just took one off for the photo so you can see the speakers, they are a special design for Dr Z, I believe the parts are from eminence, not sure.....

The gain is good enough for any classic rock, the clean is pretty low headroom, but you get this great full clean with edge of breakup when you pick harder for a good amount of volume....

also, the amp is very responsive to pick attack, its very quiet, actually the quietest amp I own at the moment or have owned so far, pretty impressed by that....

overall its a good amp, I know its a little pricey, because amps are not judged by tone or build quality, but by the amount of knobs and wattage they have in comparison with other amps:cool:

Very very cool. I'm looking forward to some clips.

Yeah, the most expensive amps out there have very few knobs. Gee, I wonder what the correlation is there :)

You still have the Twin for uber cleans and glorious headroom anyway. That's a killer 1-2 combination right there. (I know you like your Mesa, but I could do without that one, hehe).

Archived