best time to buy a guitar

modeerf

• Members

if you mean new as in never played before, yeah tax time and christmas sales is a good time. if you don't mind a used as your 'new' guitar, then now is a great time! most likely ppl got guitars over christmas and are selling their offcuts back onto ebay and the second hand market en masse which makes it much easier to snag a great deal. good luck!

• Members

There are no set rules about when is the best time to buy a guitar at a good price. Good deals on mint used ones crop up frequently. Closeouts come along fairly frequently. Discontinued items come around often. Just keep your eyes open and have a general idea of what to look for and be prepared to pull the trigger once one comes along because if they truly are a good deal they won't be around long.

• Members

I know some of you guys are having fun with this, and I lol'ed at some of the responses, but I think the OP has a legit question here.

For instance, the fire sale that went on with the Highway 1's at GC's was crazy!

Was that an annual event?! Are guitars becoming like cars, when the new models come out, the old ones must be sold?

• Members

My experience is that Christmas is the worst time to buy music equipment because the sales people have so many customers that are not used to buyng at music stores so they don't know that the prices are usually negotiable.

They are less likely to want to fool with someone who is asking for a discount.

I think most important thing is to find a sales person who doesn't look at you funny or act offended when you ask for a deal.

I was buying some music stands in Guitar Center in november and the guy in pro audio wasn't really working with me and when I went over to accesories to buy some strings, I asked the guy there what he would do and he took $10 more off the price.

Also, The most common line that I am hearing from salespeople is that "the manufacturer of this particular item will not allow discounts" which is true in some cases but not in most. I had a guy at guitar center in North Houston tell me that about some groove tubes and I bought the same tubes in the central location for a discount.

It doesn't happen all the time but keep an eye out for music stores that are going out of business. I got a good deal on a Fender Blues Junior when Mars Music was going out of business & also got a good deal on a ziljian symbol when another local music store (H&H) was shutting down all thier locations.

• Members

I'll concur with towards the end of the year and specifically Thanksgiving through Jan. This is when stores need to make deals to hit yearly quotas or reduce stock for incoming merch and individuals selling used gear need money for holiday gifts, bills etc.

IMO, probably the best time to SELL gear is around tax refund season, when people will often have a bit of unexpected surplus cash on hand.

• Members

I would have guessed after Christmas through about April 15th. Christmas is over and people are through spending for a while. Got to save up and see how much they owe on their income taxes. My Dad always said it was the best time to buy a new car, for that reason.

Archived