Are you guys getting tired of GFS Fat PAF clips yet?

Burgess

• Members
loved it! great tone, and great vibe.
:thu:

btw, how did you record it, miked amp, etc. ?

Thanks and that was just a Vox Tonelab (Marshall model into a Marshall 4x12 cab sim) straight into an Akai DPS 24. The mix is straight up, no EQ, no FX, no nada.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Very nice Mr. B. Great tone. I think I will get a pair for my strat. I know it will sound totally different than your set up but it is worth trying.

P.S. Anyone has any recordings of Fat PAFs on the strat?

• Members

Don't forget solo garry moore plays on still in love with you....

Gary Moore? Hmmmm......

I love Gary's playing but I never thought I sounded that much like him. Interesting that you'd see it that way. As much respect as I have for Gary's playing I'd have to consider this quite a compliment. Thanks! :D

• 8 months later...
  • Members

Man, Burgess! Not to be totally redundant, but I'm thinking two things like everyone else... Playing and tone!! I'm rockin and groovin listening to JAM I. Very taseful and toneful! I enjoyed the hell out of that clip. Thanks for posting. Now I gotta go practice!!!

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

You Rock Man !!, sounds great. How do you think those pickups would work on my ES-335 copy guitar ? Any better suggestion ?

Keep it up !

Thanks and I think those p'ups would be a great match for an ES copy. Generally pickups that work in an LP will also work quite well in a ES or Dot so yeah, I think that should hold the same for copies as well. Since what you heard was an LP copy I would thing the ES copy would be fine.

I recently installed a set of those Fat PAF pups in a semi-hollow guitar of mine and I think they sound pretty nice. Here's a clip of that guitar into a 50W Marshall at rehearsal a couple of weeks ago. Forgive the sloppy guitar play, that was the first time we've gotten together since early December.

This is the guitar I was playing...

th_DSCN1527.jpg th_DSCN1529.jpg th_DSCN1532.jpg th_DSCN1541.jpg

• Members

A bit OT, but are the GFS Fat PAF a 4 lead humbucker, or a 2 lead variety?

The ones heard in that first clip I believe were three leads. I just recently installed another set in a second guitar (I just posted a clip of it in this thread) and those pups are four wire. So it looks like the new generation of Fat PAFs are four wire.

• Members

I have a Epi LP Custom. What would it take to drop those pickups in it? I Like them because they look stock(I like the look.)

They should be a straight drop in for that axe. They're just standard sized buckers and nothing special is required. A straight replacement.

• Members

Not another GFS shill!!......
:rolleyes:

:D

Pups sound excellent! Loved the dynamic range they support. You got a little young pre-PRS Santana in there too.

Oh yeah.... nice playing!!
:thu:

This is a pretty old thread though, April of '07. I have no idea why it popped back up after all this time. :idk:

...and oh yeah, thanks! ;)

• Members

I just finished listening to Mark's Groove. Nice stuff. What are your settings on that one?

If memory serves, that was actually the same red semi-hollow Raven RP450 but before I put in the GFSs. It had DiMarzio PAF Classics back then. I was playing into a Behringer V-Amp Pro that went direct into the Akai DPS24 DAW. I may have used a little compression in the mixdown and some of the VAmp's reverb during the tracking.

I thought the DiMarzios sounded pretty good in that axe for what was trying to do and what I called myself doing was having a backup axe for one of my cheap jazzboxes. Since I set that guitar up though I got a second cheap jazzbox so the RP450 became redundant and those low output DiMarzios wouldn't let the guitar work well in our live set so in went the GFSs.

Thanks and I think those p'ups would be a great match for an ES copy. Generally pickups that work in an LP will also work quite well in a ES or Dot so yeah, I think that should hold the same for copies as well. Since what you heard was an LP copy I would thing the ES copy would be fine.

I recently installed a set of those Fat PAF pups in a semi-hollow guitar of mine and I think they sound pretty nice.
Here's a clip of that guitar into a 50W Marshall at rehearsal a couple of weeks ago
. Forgive the sloppy guitar play, that was the first time we've gotten together since early December.

This is the guitar I was playing...

th_DSCN1527.jpg
th_DSCN1529.jpg
th_DSCN1532.jpg
th_DSCN1541.jpg

Excellent tone and playing!!! Thanks for the demos!! Helps when thinking about getting pups!

Archived