Your Ultimate Blues Rig?

TeRM

• Members

Tele ... check.

Super Reverb ... check.

What was that about an overdrive pedal?

Roll the guitar volume all the way up, and crank the Super Reverb up to the level you're gonna need for a solo.

Then turn the guitar volume down to where you want to be for rhythm and riffs.

Overdrive pedals are for WEEDY WIMPS and WOOLY WUSSES.

*Shields UP!*

*Thinks: if that last sentence doesn't get me one of young Mr Lobster's canzaworms, nuthin will*

I've never heard SRV be called a WEEDY WIMP or a WOOLY WUSS for using a couple tubescreamers!!!

• Members

Essential elements to blues tone:

Liquor

Various liaisons with loose women

Perhaps some pills

Directions to the crossroads, so you can learn to play

Estranged spouse and/or downright damnable cheatin' hussy of your very own

Aversion to seeking emotional counseling, marriage counseling, substance abuse counseling etc...

A cowboy hat...

Beyond that, I'd doubt it really matters what you're playing, it already sounds like the blues.

• Members

Tele ... check.

Super Reverb ... check.

What was that about an overdrive pedal?

Roll the guitar volume all the way up, and crank the Super Reverb up to the level you're gonna need for a solo.

Then turn the guitar volume down to where you want to be for rhythm and riffs.

Overdrive pedals are for WEEDY WIMPS and WOOLY WUSSES.

*Shields UP!*

*Thinks: if that last sentence doesn't get me one of young Mr Lobster's canzaworms, nuthin will*

I am coming around to this way of thinking.....although I have a Blues Deluxe instead of a Super Reverb.

Roger

• Members

Some great suggestions there. I gigged for years armed with just my Strat and my '67 BF Deluxe Reverb, and nothing else. Once you get the volume past 6ish, there's plenty of drive in it for solos (for my liking anyway), and it cleans up nicely if you just back off the volume a bit. The ultimate low-tech simple but versatile setup for me.

While I wouldn't call someone armed with a TS a wuss (or indeed even a WUSS :D), I could quite happily live without it.

The above obviously applies to gigs only, for bedroom stuff you'd need either a drive pedal or a much smaller amp.

• Members

I've never heard SRV be called a WEEDY WIMP or a WOOLY WUSS for using a couple tubescreamers!!!

Well, you have now.

Sigh ... and they wonder why satire is dead ...

(Actually, satire ISN'T dead. It just smells funny.)

• Members

Heavy Blooze ? . . . see my sig :thu: - and i love what i have !

(...but can always get better...)

For me, the way i think of the words when i hear HEAVY BLUES, is either Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, or R.L. Burnside . . . or even the Black Keys :evil:

So MY personal, "Ultimate Blues Rig" will probably differ ALOT from what you have in mind, as i will have many diff dirt/fuzz boxes, going into a splitter box, that goes to several vintage and modern amps - ohhhhh, the GAS !

;)

• Members
Essential elements to blues tone:

Liquor

Various liaisons with loose women

Perhaps some pills

Directions to the crossroads, so you can learn to play

Estranged spouse and/or downright damnable cheatin' hussy of your very own

Aversion to seeking emotional counseling, marriage counseling, substance abuse counseling etc...

A cowboy hat...

Beyond that, I'd doubt it really matters what you're playing, it already sounds like the blues.

a divorce or two losing everything except your guitar in the process, and a couple of serious asskickings received, perhaps a short to medium sting in the old pokey can seriously enhance that vibe ... :eek:

Archived