For all you home recorders...

Cooley

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I use a dedicated - and outdated - Roland VS880EX 8 track hard disc recorder. You can get these for about $400 on eBay now. You can get the newer versions and 16 tracks for $1400.

An advantage I see with this system is that I can use the mixer live - Run everything through it AND record that performance. Then it's all right there on the HD and I can mix and master it all in the one unit. In other words, it's a multipurpose tool. You could also use it for all your guitar effects and amp models into a PA.

But, using a PC-based system seems to be the way to go for truly
home
recording. And for putting clips up on line it's a lot easier than what I have to do with the Roland VS880 (make a CD, upload that to my PC, convert it to mp3, upload that on line.)

I've actually put together a very nice sounding recording setup for home and away use. :)

I've got a pair of Presonus Firepods daisy chained together into a laptop with a 1.7 ghz Pentium Dual Core processor and 2 gb RAM. I use Cubase SX recording software. I use it as a stand alone at home, but for gigs, the band runs through the PA's mixing board as usual, and then I use 1/4" snakes to run out of each channel's insert on the mixing board and into a channel on a Firepod. With both Firepods hooked up, that gives me 16 analog tracks and 4 digital tracks of simultaneous recording that I can go in after the gig and edit, mix and master.

My home recording still sound a whole lot better than my live recordings though, just because everything is isolated at home and I actually take as much time as I want to tweek all the little stuff, but the rig does a great job, and is very portable.

This is the rig (in the rack case), plus a laptop.

RecordingRig.jpg

Here's what it sounds like at home:

Dearest Valentine (original)

And here's what it sounds like recording at a gig:
War Pigs (I'm only playing bass on this one)

All that buzzing on War Pigs was coming from a bad connection on the jack of the bass guitar. :mad:

• Members
That was badass.

:thu:

Thanks. Me an one of my long-time band mates (the guy playing guitar and singing on the War Pigs clip) got together and recorded that about a month ago. He came up with the riffs, we worked out an arrangement together. Then he did the acoustic guitar track, I did the drums, bass and electric guitars, and wrote and sang the lyrics. The acoustic track was really just a scratch track for me to play drums to, but it sounded good, so I kept it.

I'm really happy with how it turned out, and so is he. :thu:

• Members

I used to use the V-Amp2, but now I use the POD X3, which is freakin' amazing. I use Acoustica Beatcraft for drums, and record & mix everything in Audacity. See links in sig for samples of my original music.

I have just started experimenting with a software-based keyboard called Rhinoceros Polyphonic, to add some sonic textures to my music...

• Members

Computer: Black MacBook 2.0ghz, 2gb ram.

Interface: Metric Halo ULN-2

Monitors: M-audio BX5a

Heaphones: Sony MDR 7506

Mics: Shure SM57/Audio Technica AT2020 Condenser/ AKG D880

DAW: Logic Express 8 (Pro Tools M-Powered and used an M-audio 410 firewire interface that got stolen, so I got Logic to use it with Metric Halo)

Instruments: see sig.

Archived