New Gear Day! Guitar, amp, pedals......

Clyde42

• Members

IMG_1059.jpg

Actually it took a few weeks to accumulate a 1975 Gibson S1 in original case, a Yamaha T50 combo(Soldano designed) still with Made in USA hang tag, a Chicago Iron Octavian, and a Divided by 13 Dyna-Ranger. All are very fun toys!

• Members

may i ask how much u got the gibson for?

Well, I work at a music store so I get good deals on stuff. I will put it this way: the whole pile PLUS a pair of Duncan Seth Lover picups, and a pair of Dimarzio pickups cost me $950.

Sound: Kind of a Strat on steroids from those Bill Lawrence single coils. I am not overly fond of all of the combinations on the rotary switch, but will leave it alone for originalitys sake. GREAT feeling neck and a fun comfortable guitar to play. I now need a Marauder to accompany it!

The Yamaha amp is a monster, but the reverb needs attention I think. It seems a little distorted. A tube perhaps? Excellent drive channel, and a sparkly clean channel that combined with the reasonably deep reverb provides a nice "surf tone" for my surf needs.

The Dyna Ranger was an unexpected find. I always though of a treble boost pedal as, well, a treble booster. But it is really a germanium based overdrive. Stupid simple: an on switch and a 5 position switch that gives increasing amounts of drive and bass response. It gives a nice natural overdrive that pushes an already distorted tone very well.

The Octavian is another over the top fuzztone. Very compressed, and not quite enough octave effect compared to other fuzzes I own, but I had to have it. I will have to try it with some different guitar and amp combos.

Thanks for all the posts folks!

Archived