Recent albums you'd listen to from beginning to end...?

rasputin1963

• Members

I wouldn't call these "concept albums", at least not by the original definition.

I never said they were. :rolleyes:

The primary point of the original question was "Recent albums you'd listen to from beginning to end." The "concept album" thing was tacked on as a secondary point. But, thanks for playing! :D

• Members

The only recent album in my collection which I can stand to listen to all the way through (in one sitting) is Ridin' The Reverb Range by Terry "Buffalo" Ware. Matter o' fact, when I'm on summer road trips, I might put the CD in and just let it loop for the duration of the trip. It's perfect music for driving to the beach.

One of the nice things about the LP format was that it forced artists to edit themselves. Nowadays, we get the same 30-40 minutes of good music (if we're lucky!) and 20-30 minutes of filler. I guess that's how the record companies try to justify the jacked-up price of CDs. :mad:

• Members

I've listened twice now, fairly spellbound, to the entirety of Andrew Bird's album The Mysterious Production of Eggs. It's a little disconcerting, 'cause it sounds a bit like me if I were insanely great at what I do. But, you know, you get over that and appreciate beauty where you find it...

And on a more poppy, rocky front, the Hot Hot Heat album Elevator is consistent delight beginning to end, esp. if you like quirky guitar pop heavily influenced by Black Sea-era XTC, and I do.

• Members

Butch Walker and the Let's Go Out Tonight's - The Rise and Fall of Butch Walker

Lily Allen - Alright, Still

Babyshambles - Down in Albion

Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I am That's What I'm Not

Belle & Sebastian - The Life Pursuit

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Howl

Plenty of good albums around.

• Members

I'm afraid that the "album format as art form" is, if not dead at the moment, pretty close to it in this day and age of user compiled / burned CD's, iPods, iTunes, etc.

:mad:_~

That's why I listen to stuff from 1969.

*Charles Kynard The Soul Brotherhood/Reelin' With The Feelin'

Archived