Expensive New Amp! But Which One?!

trill

• Members

I already own my home, 2. our household is pretty set up, with both of us having well-paying, full-time jobs, no kids, and no debt aside from the mortgage, and 3. I'm not like most of the folks on this forum, in that I don't want more than one electric guitar, one acoustic guitar, and one amp. We've got budget plan that includes putting money in a savings account AND an IRA, in addition to doubling up on mortgage payments on the house.

I love playing guitar, but I don't let it push me into dumb financial moves anymore. I learned that lesson the hard way.

I gotta say, I hate you.

• Members

Actually, if I were in your place, I'd buy a 18W TMB from Trinity/Ceriatone/etc..

and a SG Classic. It should fit in a $1500-2000 budget. Also, I'd get a booster pedal to get good distortion out of the TMB on low volumes. I'm biased, but I have a Ceriatone TMB for few months and I have never ever ever heard a better sounding amp. And I'd definitely go for the TMB over a stock 1974x.

• Members
Already taken care of, hoss. We're taking whatever cash my parents give us (not sure how much it's gonna be, really) and splitting it down the middle. I'm buying an amp (maybe a guitar, too
:eek:
) and she's getting a stove or some home furnishings or some Law and Order DVD's or something.

I just had to promise not to buy a Marshall stack.

So she's buying something for the household and you're buying something for yourself. Yeah, I can see you've thought this one through thoroughly.... :(

• Members

Dual income no kids...ah yes the glory days....I think a number of people here remember those days very well....and really miss them!

Whats the worst case scenario here? You get a point to point hand wired tube amp that will sound like buttah and hours and hours of pleasure. What new spouse could be unhappy about that, she knows who your mistress is and where the money is going before she marries you. Take full advantage as it could be a few years before the opportunity presents it's self again.

By the Z...cant go wrong...

• Members
Dual income no kids...ah yes the glory days....I think a number of people here remember those days very well....and really miss them!

Whats the worst case scenario here? You get a point to point hand wired tube amp that will sound like buttah and hours and hours of pleasure.
What new spouse could be unhappy about that,
she knows who your mistress is and where the money is going before she marries you. Take full advantage as it could be a few years before the opportunity presents it's self again.

By the Z...cant go wrong...

Probably most of them. :(

• Members

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue.

Admittedly I have not played any of the amps you mention in the poll, but still I am yet to hear a better clean sound out of any new amp than the DRRI.

thats a decent amp especially for the money, but those amps are in another class, especially in terms of build quality (for me they are for tone as well, but that is subjective)..... the note bloom and the tonal quality, and especially pick response of the Dr Z makes the fender sound dull and flat..... I know that my Mini Z rig makes my Twin sound dull and one dimensional (especially with reverb off)

• Members

You definitely need to try to find yourself a Traynor YCV50Blue! 50 watts, all tube, 1-12" Celestion, master volume, great clean channel, and great overdrive channel with a footswitchable lead boost, made in Canada, 2 year UNCONDITIONAL warranty-I LOVE mine! (and pretty inexpensive for such a fantastic amp-about $800 Cdn-you probably would have some dough left over for some more gear goodies...OR a microwave! LOL!)

-Mikey

• Members

You're making her buy a stove as a "present"?

ummm...maybe you should wait. This WILL come back to haunt you. Have you told your parents what you guys are planning on doing with the money?

i was thinking the same thing. just because she agreed, doesn't mean she agreed.

she'll hit you with it when you least expect it.

apart from that, i think the whole idea of splitting a wedding present is kind of ironic, but maybe that's just me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

So, I'm looking at receiving some serious cheddar in April as a wedding present from my parents, and I'm gonna spend it on a nice amp. I'm definitely getting a medium/small tube combo, and I'm definitely not getting anything with two channels/reverb/tone stack/more than one speaker. I've narrowed it down to the above three choices: two Fender tweed-style amps and one Marshall 18watt clone. I know some folks here have/used to have Carmen Ghia's, so the main purpose of the post is to get some info from them, and if anyone owns an Allen or Nick Greer amp, I wanna hear from them, too.

I have a Nick Greer NTG-15 (serial #4) and it is an absolutely glorious head. I like it better than the Maz 18 i sold. My 2 cents.

• Members

I haven't read the entire thread.. I started seeing people warning you about offending the wife, but you said it was a mutal gift that you were both free to go wild with.. Awesome, tell all the advisors to STFU!

re: The Amps.. What about something a little different? Ever tried a Zinky Blue Velvet? They're about $1000, got the coolest look you could ask for and they sound like God if he played a 1x12 combo.. Plenty of gain for metal, but also good for low gain bluesy stuff and a really chimey clean... Well worth a look if you can find one to try out. I've spent 15 minutes with one and I've lusted over it ever since. Delicious little amps.. Congrats on the wedding, may you be blessed with all you deserve =)

Archived