Expensive New Amp! But Which One?!

trill

• Members

So, I'm looking at receiving some serious cheddar in April as a wedding present from my parents, and I'm gonna spend it on a nice amp. I'm definitely getting a medium/small tube combo, and I'm definitely not getting anything with two channels/reverb/tone stack/more than one speaker. I've narrowed it down to the above three choices: two Fender tweed-style amps and one Marshall 18watt clone. I know some folks here have/used to have Carmen Ghia's, so the main purpose of the post is to get some info from them, and if anyone owns an Allen or Nick Greer amp, I wanna hear from them, too.

• Members

I'd suggest you ask your betrothed which one she prefers. There's a good chance she might want to have some input on how you spend your wedding pre$ent.

Hahhaha, I was thinking that too. But hopefully for him she plays the guitar too (or at least LOVES to listen to him play). If not... you better buy her some blingage before you buy you some ampage.:poke:

• Members
I'd suggest you ask your betrothed which one she prefers. There's a good chance she might want to have some input on how you spend your wedding pre$ent.

Already taken care of, hoss. We're taking whatever cash my parents give us (not sure how much it's gonna be, really) and splitting it down the middle. I'm buying an amp (maybe a guitar, too :eek:) and she's getting a stove or some home furnishings or some Law and Order DVD's or something.

I just had to promise not to buy a Marshall stack.

• Members

You're making her buy a stove as a "present"?

ummm...maybe you should wait. This WILL come back to haunt you. Have you told your parents what you guys are planning on doing with the money?

Nooo, dude, she's free to buy whatever the hell she wants! Stove, diamond earrings, mechanical bull, samurai sword... whatever her little heart desires. I even told her if I bought what I wanted and had money left over out of my half, it was hers.

The parents actually asked me if I wanted them to buy me a guitar. Since I didn't want to presume how much they were willing to spend, and they can be kinda sensitive about money stuff, they're just gonna give us cash.

• Members
Already taken care of, hoss. We're taking whatever cash my parents give us (not sure how much it's gonna be, really) and splitting it down the middle. I'm buying an amp (maybe a guitar, too
:eek:
) and she's getting a stove or some home furnishings or some Law and Order DVD's or something.

I just had to promise not to buy a Marshall stack.

Lemme give you some advice, having been married for a while myself...

Never, ever buy things like stoves, pots, pans, cleaning appliances, or anything that would be used to do a "chore" for a Birthday, Anniversary, V-day, or Christmas. Those things should always come from general funds and not be associated with something "special". :cop:;)

Wedding present may not fall into those categories, but if she's gonna be responsible enough to buy a stove and sees you buying a guitar/amp (something practical vs. something personal) there's eventually gonna be bad blood over the purchase.

Either you need to buy the stove with some other fundage and let her buy somethings she "wants" or you need to buy something practical with your half as well, like a dishwasher.

$.02 -- and I'm still happily married after 8 years!

--PB

• Members
Nooo, dude, she's free to buy whatever the hell she wants! Stove, diamond earrings, mechanical bull, samurai sword... whatever her little heart desires. I even told her if I bought what I wanted and had money left over out of my half, it was hers.

The parents actually asked me if I wanted them to buy me a guitar. Since I didn't want to presume how much they were willing to spend, and they can be kinda sensitive about money stuff, they're just gonna give us cash.

Well, thats cool ... I guess. Only other thing I can say then is that I would sit her down and make damn sure she wasn't "just saying that" 'cause you're getting married and she wants to be nice by letting you do what you want with your half.

/end woman thought train speculation. :blah:

--PB

• Members
Well, thats cool ... I guess. Only other thing I can say then is that I would sit her down and make damn sure she wasn't "just saying that" 'cause you're getting married and she wants to be nice by letting you do what you want with your half.

/end woman thought train speculation.
:blah:

--PB

Yeah, I understand the skepticism about her actually *wanting* a stove, as opposed to something more fun. I've encouraged her to buy herself some fun things, but none of her hobbies really require expensive devices. She does love to cook, and she gets really excited about things like new bakeware, but we're getting a lot of that stuff as wedding presents from friends/family. She's been talking about a new stove for like, 3 months now, so I'm pretty sure she sees it as a neat thing for her, and not just a thing that will increase the value of our house.

Whew. I never thought I'd have to defend a gear purchase to you spendy mother{censored}ers :cop:

• Members
Hahahaha. You are getting everything BUT amp advice.

LOL ... you're right. Enough ol' married man squawking. :cop::blah:

I looked at all the amps you're polling for and can't say I've heard of any of them.

But I've recently fallen in love with Orange amplifiers, and in the price range you're looking to spend you could get this:

humbucker_1984_2904815

www.humbuckermusic.com is only asking $1399 for it.

--PB

• Members

Why don't you buy the 1974x or Bluesbreaker RI?

Hey, that's not a bad idea. For some reason, I thought those were more expensive than they actually are. I think I'd probably pick the Carmen Ghia over that, though, as it's more straightforward with the layout.

• Members

Yeah, I understand the skepticism about her actually *wanting* a stove, as opposed to something more fun. I've encouraged her to buy herself some fun things, but none of her hobbies really require expensive devices. She does love to cook, and she gets really excited about things like new bakeware, but we're getting a lot of that stuff as wedding presents from friends/family. She's been talking about a new stove for like, 3 months now, so I'm pretty sure she sees it as a neat thing for her, and not just a thing that will increase the value of our house.

Whew. I never thought I'd have to defend a gear purchase to you spendy mother{censored}ers
:cop:

Sorry to keep on this but dude, I'm 23 years into my marriage. No woman, and I mean nooooo woman would rather buy a stove, bakeware, or any everyday piece of household equipment rather than have her her husband score her a diamond, fur, or downpayment on a classy car, etc. I don't care what she says, it's just not the case.:cop:

You don't have to spend all the money on her but you better make damn sure her share is something about her and her alone. Not the house, kitchen, or making dinner.

Maybe you have a unique understanding but I'm telling you, someday, sometime, from out of nowhere this will come back to haunt you. When that day comes that amp will be in the spam thread so fast you won't know what happened.

Either way, those sound like some cool amps. Maybe you can write a song to her, get it recorded on the new amp, become a big star and treat her to the best of everything.:thu:

Don't want to be raggin' on ya, just trying to help a brotha out. Oh, and congrats on the upcoming wedding.

• Members

You're making her buy a stove as a "present"?

ummm...maybe you should wait. This WILL come back to haunt you. Have you told your parents what you guys are planning on doing with the money?

If she won't do something fun with the money, it would be very cool if you used part of your money to get something thoughtful but a fun non-necessity for her. Do it first, that'll show that you love her more than your amp. :love:

*says the guy who's going to buy 2 sets of pickups and a Trinity Amp Clone from his Tax Refund*

• Members

Is this a troll thread?
Trill man, you gotta be nuts blowing such cheese at this time of your life. Wedding cash is expected to be used to set up a household, no matter what the rents are telling you.
What about putting the cash into a down payment on a house? The market is down and the interest rates low too. Get yourself established. That is what turns a woman on, a little responsibiltiy.

Then, you can spend the rest of your marriage buying gear, and hiding it like I do. :thu:

PS get the Ghia.

• Members

Alright, knuckleheads. I linked my fiancee to the thread, she read it, laughed her ass off, and said you guys were very sweet, but she's well aware that she can spend her money on whatever the hell she wants.

So... what about the amps?!

• Members

Just buy the most expensive so you use all your half.
Then make sure she buys a stove, lawnmower ( non motorized so that she gets a good cardio workout), no dishwasher.. just some gentle dishwashing fluid, so her hands dont dry up....one of these clothes scrubbing things and a clothes wringer.
That should just about do it.

• Members
Is this a troll thread?

Trill man, you gotta be nuts blowing such cheese at this time of your life. Wedding cash is expected to be used to set up a household, no matter what the rents are telling you.

What about putting the cash into a down payment on a house? The market is down and the interest rates low too. Get yourself established. That is what turns a woman on, a little responsibiltiy.

Then, you can spend the rest of your marriage buying gear, and hiding it like I do.
:thu:

Hahaha, dude, I really appreciate your concern, but 1. I already own my home, 2. our household is pretty set up, with both of us having well-paying, full-time jobs, no kids, and no debt aside from the mortgage, and 3. I'm not like most of the folks on this forum, in that I don't want more than one electric guitar, one acoustic guitar, and one amp. We've got budget plan that includes putting money in a savings account AND an IRA, in addition to doubling up on mortgage payments on the house. We're paying for the entire wedding and the entire honeymoon, so we decided to take the money my parents are giving us and reward ourselves with it.

I love playing guitar, but I don't let it push me into dumb financial moves anymore. I learned that lesson the hard way.

• Members

It sounds like cooking is kinda her hobby. As long as the current stove is PERFECT, and she just want's an upgrade. You said shes giddy over it soo...it sounds cool.

But this whole scenerio just reeks of "good guy setting himself up for an unwinable fight in the future". Trying to watch your back.

About the amps...why don't you see how much you're gonna have before you start spending it. It'd suck if the 'rents think $1000 is a good present, and you're looking for double that. Let's get your ducks in a row before we start shooting.

I don't want to be a killjoy, so I'll +1 the Bluesbreaker...the Rockerverb 30...and the Carmen Ghia...and I'll raise you a Vox AC30CC2!

• Members

About the amps...why don't you see how much you're gonna have before you start spending it. It'd suck if the 'rents think $1000 is a good present, and you're looking for double that. Let's get your ducks in a row before we start shooting.

I don't want to be a killjoy, so I'll +1 the Bluesbreaker...the Rockerverb 30...and the Carmen Ghia...and I'll raise you a Vox AC30CC2!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they're gonna give us between $1000-$5000, depending on what their liquidity is like at the time. I've got a pretty fat gear fund built up, from selling stuff I don't use, so even if I've only got $500 in wedding money to work with, I should be able to afford one of those amps.

The AC30 would be way loud, but I've considered the AC15. I think I'd rather something that had more of an early Fender/Marshall quality to it, though.

Archived