wiring question

idoot

• Members

i got some new pickups wired into a new pickguard. it looks right as far as i can tell, but shouldn't i be able to hear something in my amp when i tap on the pickups? there's no hum either and it's single coils. is there another way to see if it's working before putting strings on?

• Members

yeah i got nothin'. found a wire that i was missing, but after attaching it, still nothin'. i'm guessing the problem is somewhere around the volume pot or the jack since i'm getting nothing from any of the switch positions?

• Members

switch wiring looks ok. any chances it could be a defective switch? it's new. seems to be making connections where it should though, so that wouldn't seem to make sense.

on the jack wires, it looks like the insulation is a little melted, probably from when i tried to remove them. the hot and ground are both wrapped in a bigger wire, so they are right together. i'm not sure if the wires might be touching each other where the insulation melted. would that be grounding it out if they are?

• Members

good way to see if pickups is to put any sound source up to the pickups and you should hear something out of the amp.

mp3 player with headphones up to pickups should work or your cell phone with a random ring tone. if you get nothing then you gots a problem. saves you form having to put strings on.

• Members

got it fixed! turns out the problem was with the jack wires i was talking about. the insulation got melted and i think they were touching, causing a short. hopefully the music shop can get the new pickguard on tomorrow without me having to leave it with them for some indefinite period of time. unfortunately i do not have a drill and it needs more holes than the old one :(

i want to play it!

Archived