"I'm a Mac -- I'm a PC" advertisements

alphajerk

• Members

Marketing presumably. BTW, I have the same system as you (9.2.2/PT 5.1 LE). I do have a dual-boot system with OS10.3.7, although I'm in 9.2.2 about 90% of the time).

Yup - same setup for me. I boot up PT6 when I record sometimes, because you don't have to align the tracks when overdubbing like you do in PT5.

But when it comes time for mixing, all my plugs are for PT5.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

But when it comes time for mixing, all my plugs are for PT5.

Yeah, I just cannot be bothered to keep spending hundreds of dollars and tons of my time upgrading plug-ins and whatever. I want to walk in, fire up my computer, and start creating right away. Doing anything else is just a colossal waste of my time. It's not like anyone's gonna listen to my CDs and say, "Oh, hey, that sounds slammin', but if you were recording this in OS X, it'd sound even better!!!" :D

• Members

Oh they {censored} me to no end, I actually like the pc character better than the mac character, I've only ever used macs in classroom situations and the whole layout annoys me, im very much a pc user

The actor who portrays the PC guy uses a Mac. (He was on one of the late night comedy/news shows.)

• Members

I thought a couple of them were pretty amusing -- and occasionally smack on target.

More often, though, I find some of the highly questionnable negative claims and insults about the competition (and by extension its user base, which is, in part, me ;) ) and occasional outright untruths mildly irritating.

They CERTAINLY do not make me like the nameplate or the company behind it more. Like any, even mildly irritating commercial with which I take factual exception to, I find they push me farther away.

Which is kind of too bad, because I think the new product lines from Apple have a lot of good things going for them -- and THEY make me like the nameplate a little more than I would otherwise.

It's been said in the past that much of Apple's then-current advertising (like the seemingly ineffective "Switch" ads which resulted, by Apple's own numbers, in only the tiniest of bumps in increased PC owner traffic in Apple stores and, IIRC, a far tinier increase in "switchers") was not so much to persuade outsiders but to keep current Mac owners in the camp.

At any rate -- for me -- the adverts actually help to UNDO the good work that Apple's current products have done in helping to persuade me.

But I'm used to patently false claims from Apple's marketers and "evangelists." I think the Brits and Europeans have been correct in banning some of their outright false advertising claims in the past.

If Apple wanted to win THIS long time observer (and one-time potential customer) over they'd stick to the facts -- or just let their products speak for themselves.

[Hey, Steve Jobs -- don't make me post my "It Just Works" links again... the list is a LOT longer than last time. :D ]

• Members

Here's something that I don't understand. I sometimes hear people (either PC or Mac users) refer to a "Mac culture".

I have no idea what that means.

I have a Mac. I use it to record audio. No one comes over and says, "Oh, hey, a Mac!" and then start thinking I'm cooler or start talking shop or about the latest Mac iAccessories. Once in a while, they'll help me with something (I'm not all that great with a computer) but that's about it. No one gives a rat's ass whether I have a Mac or not. All they care about is how their music sounds in my studio.

So where's this "Mac culture"? What is it?

Am I missing it altogether because I don't hang out at Starbucks on the West Side? Or is it something else?

• Members

?

as someone who uses both machines i cant disagree more with these ads and they almost make me want to drop mac all together because of the ads.

I'm with you the are not only misleading but completely corny. Most of what I would consider hardcore PC users are not nerdy acountant types, more like stoner gamers who like to tweak or musicians who are too cheap to buy a MAC. Everybody else is just surfing or just bought a computer to have one, so the platform is totally irrelevent for those people.

Macs are definitely the thing for musicians, though. The thing that irritates me about the commercials is they seem to be attempting to pigeonhole the different platforms and respective user base.

• Members

And yet, here we all are, stating multi-page threads about whether we like this ad campaign or not. As a person who owns an ad agency, I can't imagine anything I'd like more than that... it's a sure sign of an effective campaign.

So, I don't know that the ads make me want to buy a Mac, but I certainly don't plan on switching to PC any time soon. And yeah, I'll be getting a new MacBook Pro rather soon... but not because of the ads! :D

- Jeff

• Members

Note: I have one of each, OS X and an XP box.

Perhaps the group is missing the point of a commercial: To pay a fee to a broadcaster for 30 or 60 seconds of air time, in order to present a movie with a point of view. The POV is 'buy the product'. I find it interesting that a commonplace thing like a commercial gets under so many skins.

Please state exactly what is misleading according to you, and let's look at the specifics. So far the thread is a lovely hate-fest, with a low signal to noise ratio.

I see that many of you are embittered by working with OS 9. You have my full sympathies, so was I. OS X has been around for about 5 years now. It can certainly be made to crash - all I have to do is hot-unplug my audio interface - but it is a far better experience than 9, especially the current 10.4.8 edition.

Even Bill Gates was kvetching about the Mac and the commercials, in a story on newsweek.com today. Interesting that he sees the need to react in public.

• Members

I just watched the three Apple ads on the Apple website. I didn't catch anything misleading.

I've been a PC user / programmer / trouble shooter / installer since 1985.

That's 22 years of experience. It is the reason I HATE computers, and almost left the whole IT scene. Thank you Bill Gates.

My first Mac running OSX 10 is the only reason I still use a computer.

no offense, but maybe it wasnt supposed to be your calling in life. i troubleshoot computers all the time, both mac and pc. i get paid well to do it [except family members... they are just insufferable leeches ;)] but i love beating a computer into submission, even ones infected with viruses. i can say macs can be far more frustrating than windows ever was. windows is SIMPLE, especially doing it on a day to day basis. and dont even get me started when mac hardware is the problem.... geez, what a PITA it becomes then, and their hardware has been quite faulty lately.

• Members

As a person who owns an ad agency, I can't imagine anything I'd like more than that... it's a sure sign of an effective campaign.

i cant say turning off a user is a GOOD thing for an ad.... i REALLY dont want to buy a G5 now even for FCP [which i LOATHE premiere but have to use it out of necessity right now... because MACs are pretty incompatible with current corporate structures and applications]

• Members

I love the ads too. I just think a disgruntled PC user would find them annoying.

Funny story... I went to an Apple store after the Holidays because my iPod broke, all the guys behind the counter looked like the PC guy. I was very confused.

I also find it interesting that most of these PC vs. Apple ads are started by PC users. Don`t worry, you have 90% market share!

• Members

I see that many of you are embittered by working with OS 9. You have my full sympathies, so was I. OS X has been around for about 5 years now. It can certainly be made to crash - all I have to do is hot-unplug my audio interface - but it is a far better experience than 9, especially the current 10.4.8 edition.

All of my woes have been with OSX. I had better luck with OS9. Every OSX upgrade I've tried has rendered ProTools useless, caused hardware conflicts, and other headaches.

So now I upgrade nothing.

Part of my problem is that I'm really just not a tech-head when it comes to this stuff. I want to just turn the damn thing on and get to work.

• Members

I see that many of you are embittered by working with OS 9. You have my full sympathies, so was I. OS X has been around for about 5 years now. It can certainly be made to crash - all I have to do is hot-unplug my audio interface - but it is a far better experience than 9, especially the current 10.4.8 edition..

i actually prefer OS9 to slOSX. i dispise MAC more due to their forced obsolesence than anything else really. they KILL older machines on purpose, force new technology completely on your w/o legacy support rendering 3rd party peripherials useless. the ad where PC is going in for Vista upgrade is the most deceitful as MAC probably is the worst about that. they did it constantly in OS7-9 series and continue to do it in the OSX series. not to mention rosetta/universal/intel buill{censored} they are going through right now.

• Members

i have owned macs for over a decade and been working on apples since they booted on microsoft.

what i find is sad about the commercials is they are falsely wooing people who will have the same problems on Macs as they do on PC's.

i remember a company in DC that always had to service all the production Macs, they were called MacMedics. this was back in OS7-9 days... OSX certainly hasnt made things more stable.

AGAIN -- I don't hate Macs by any stretch of the imagination. Nor do I hate Apple. On the contrary, while I'm a bit wary of them (nothing like I'm wary of MS, though!), I do have considerable respect for the good job they do in many aspects of product design and marketing.

Nor do I hate the adverts, some of which, as I remarked, are amusing and sometimes "smack on target" -- as I said.

BUT -- the adverts have an overall (mostly quite mild) negative impact on me. I find them, as the social scientists say, schismogenic -- and clearly, for whatever reason, they seem designed to be. Obviously, others have a FAR stronger negative reaction and many others have a positive or overall positive impression of them. I can only speak for myself, here.

But that (mild) negative impact to some small extent helps to undo some of the "good work" that the actual computers and software and user reports of positive "Mac experience" have done to make me more sympathetic to that platform.

Yes... with regard to the putative "desired effect" of the adverts, I AM talking about the platform and those adverts but the net effect of the ads on THIS long time computer user (who once assumed he WOULD have a Mac for music work and has on several occasions seriously investigated a platform switch) is (somewhat) negative.

It's often struck me that the assertion by some advertising execs that irritating/annoying ads are effective ads is self-serving fantasy put out by those who find their work produces negative reactions in their target audience. Call me a cynic but I have been a marketing director of a manufacturer, I have created advertising of various kinds in a number of situations and I HAVE thought quite a bit about marketing issues.

[OK... full disclosure. I do feel hosed by my ONLY Apple purchase -- QuickTime Pro. But that's a $30 hosing and I wouldn't even feel hosed except for the fact that my QTP will NOT play the latest Apple media types -- though it always goes to check and reassures me my QTP is "up to date" (finally figured out I would have to upgrade from 6.5 to 7.x -- unfortunatley, I also found out that would cost me the full price all over again.) But... that's minor. And if I could just get the far superior VLC media player to take over the task of playing web-embedded Mp4 and other new Apple media from Firefox's insistence that they go to QTP, I wouldn't be continually reminded of the hosing and probably think my $30 was money acceptably spent. It's got a horrible UI and incomprehensibel menu layout but it works OK for quick editing of .mov files, which is what I need.]

• Members

its not about being disgruntled... its about honesty to some extent. and yes, i know looking for honesty in ads is the same as finding it in politicians... but being SO BLATENT about it i guess is what irks me.

i HATE HP/Compaq far more than i hate any single company out there making machines. for them, i am disgruntled!!!! i have almost blown apart more HP/Compag machines than all other machines combined.

• Members

I'm with Alphajerk on this one. I actually find those ads offensive. I think they appeal to the worst within the Mac user base--the vanity, the artistic self-perception, and the oddly NECESSARY belief in the Mac community that PCs are incapable of running multimedia and "expressive" applications.

You know how some small private schools make their living? By shouting over and over: "we're not public schools, we're not public schools"

Those ads strike me in the same way. "Not a PC" has become the cornerstone of what a Mac "is."

• Members

I actually just enjoy the creativity of the ad having personified inanimate objects (let's remember, we're just talking about computers here, not anything important). ;)

And you know, I don't find the PC guy dislikable. I don't think you're supposed to hate PC, or are sneering at PC. You just feel a little sorry for PC. But at the end of the day, I wouldn't switch to either platform based on liking or disliking a TV spot. I can't imagine anyone would.

Would any of you?

- Jeff

• Members

But at the end of the day, I wouldn't switch to either platform based on liking or disliking a TV spot. I can't imagine anyone would.

Would any of you?

- Jeff

Definitely no unless it just utterly offended my sensibilities so badly that I didn't want to buy the product, and that'd be pretty hard to do. A commercial might pique my interest, but ultimately, I'd go and find out more about the product before making a choice (and not take the manufacturer's word for it).

• Members

No, no, I think you're right. I think the PC guy is supposed to be a somewhat likable, but infuriatingly clueless nebbish.

And that's the part I think is kind of charming and often amusing.

It's some of the more more factually oriented assertions that have bothered me in a couple of the ads. (Again, I'm trying to walk a thin line here that will keep me from having to go watch a bunch of the ads on the web somewhere. ;) )

Originally Posted by
Jeff da Weasel

But at the end of the day, I wouldn't switch to either platform based on liking or disliking a TV spot. I can't imagine anyone would.

Would any of you?

- Jeff

The last time I gave a serious look at switching platforms was about 1999-2000. The main reason I was looking into it was because so many musicians I ran into on the web were so adamant that the Mac was far superior to the PC for music. As well as switching OS I looked at all my DAW options, too.

It was kind of a personal audit to make sure I wasn't just locked into what was easy.

I came away from my investigations pretty well convinced that, for me, my then current path (which has essentially continued) was the best for me.

But I do have to say that I think some of the other DAW options have come much closer to what I would expect from my chosen DAW in the last couple years and I don't doubt that they may well provide a best-answer solution for others.

And -- of course -- the Mac has really, really turned around (the digs of anti-OS X folks notwithstanding :D ). When I looked at the then current Mac OS 9 (IIRC) I was seriously unimpressed. By OS X 10.2, things were starting to come together in terms of a modern OS, though, seems to me. Still, ultimately, I'm just not someone who would ever be comfortable on a platform where one company controlled the hardware, OS, and even some of the major software apps. (And NO ONE should think, despite my affection for XP, that I am in any way comfortable with MS. Seriously.)

• Members

"I'm a PC. Nerds use me."

"I'm a Mac. Cool people use me."

"I'm an Amiga. Unfortunately, I'm dead."

Dammit, if you guys won't give up on Mac vs. PC, I'm not gonna give up on the Amiga being the best computer of its day. It would have beat both of 'em handily if Commodore hadn't won the Memorable Morons of Marketing award.

Archived