How many of you have only amps under 30watts or less? Pics please!

elsupermanny14

• Members

I have a bunch of sub 30 watters. Here's my personal collection ranked in order starting with the best sounding.

1. Marshall Handwired 1974x 17 watt (2006)

2. Vox Handwired AC15TVH (2007)

3. Vox AC15TBX (1999)

4. Fender Vibro Champ (1974)

5. Orange AD15/12 (2002)

6. THD Univalve (2004)

7. Krank Rev Jr. w/ two 1 x 12 cabs. Speakers = Weber Silver Bell speakers

8. Fender Champ 600 (2007)

9 Crate VC508 with solid oak cabinet

10. Vox AC15CCx (2006) This one actually belongs to my church but I'll include it here at the bottom of the list, even though it has the Celestion Blue. So far it has been a major disappointment. I cannot play it at our church because the fuse blows after about 20 minutes of playing. It works fine at my house, but the tone is not anywhere close to my other three Voxes.

ampsbm.jpg

MY brother is in LOVE with your rig, and i am seriously impressed by it too :thu:

With gear like this, i feel compeled to tell you more about a band that i think you might LIKE...

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_m/105-6073301-1901221?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=queen&x=13&y=18

Tell me what you think of 'em !

OK, so here is the two inevitable questions !

* Tone wise, how does the two AC15's differ & is the extra money worth it, if you compare the tones between the two ? (my bro's question !)

* What is your impression of the Big Red replica ?

How is the tones ? Tele like ?

EDIT :

. . . what VOX pedal with the two knobs is on your board ?

Thanx

;)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sorry nopics. Who wants pics of an amp anyway?

My Little group:

Vox Pacemaker Tube Model ca.1964-65 18 watts 10"spkr.

Crtae Vintage V15 15 or 18 watts Class A 12" spkr.

Crate Vintage v 30 30 watts LOUD version of above 1 12" spkr.

Crate palomino V32 30 watts 2 12" spkr. WOW!! got it for 290.00 total ( couldn't resist I would look for them at MF)

Love the class A crate thing kind of went nuts on them in short order. They are US made,but cheaply. For me they are great because I am an old jammer who doesn't really gig. I just don't know how they would hold up for serious gigging pro.

The Vox is good,my first amp in 1971......for $70 !! Lots of sentimental value,

but it is not very loud though toneful.

The Crates just turn me on, I love that class A quick response. I know they probably are not first call amps but I do like them and you can gget some great deals used. Look for the older ones,the new ones are chinese made not a problem really I guess, but the second or third wave will be be better than the new ones.

If you are gigging at all or are a professional, the Peavey Classic 30 is hard to beat. More serious players will go up the scale to some of the newer semi-boutique or USA made Mesa,Fenders and the like.

• Members

I've got a Blackheart Little Giant Combo that I am really starting to appreciate more each day. First amp that I have bought in like 10 years so it is quite different than using a modeller and headphones. It gets pretty damn loud when you start to crank it to get some overdrive so I built an attenuator for it. Its kind of ugly right now, but it is still in mockup/prototype mode. Works very well but I have to change the values of a few components and build a better mount for it, I want some kind of wire mesh to match what is in the back of the amp already and to help with heat.

02260005.jpg

02260004.jpg

• Members

That's
cool. Especially mounting it in the amp. Where did you get the schematic?

Oh yeah, Blues Jr. over here.

I started with just doing some research and ended up starting out with the ampwell house attenuator. I sent a few emails back and forth with him as he is pretty well versed in amps in general and I wanted to add a few features like adjustable brightness cutoff frequencies and a brightness mix.

So basically it started out pretty plain and I added a 6 way switch and some different valued caps and a 2W pot for that part of the circuit. I didn't think about it until I ordered the stuff, but as I feared it appears to have made an RC circuit which threw off the crossover frequency on all of the caps. Long story short there is only one setting that works well and the mix pot has about 1/5th of a turn of useful adjustment. So between 8-10 I have a lot of range, 0-8 is basically nothing.

I need to get some other caps and another pot, but I need to find the time to brush up on my electronics theory; its been years since I had to do any math for a circuit.

The best part of the deal is that even with the values not being optimal for every setting the one that works is great sounding. Another thing was making sure that the load is consistently 16 ohms at the input no matter what the rest of the attenuator is doing and I accomplished that. The other great part is that even though I would never put 100W into it, at 5W dimed it doesn't even get remotely warm. That opens up a lot more design options and I plan on making it look a lot better when I am done.

The final goal is to build something that can mount to the grill without even opening the amp and require zero modifications and then selling a few here or on e-Bay. Only problem is that the cost of the parts isn't as cheap as I would like...ideally I would like to sell them for about $60 a piece, but right now it isn't worth my trouble to do it. I am not looking to make a lot of money or anything, but if I am only making $5 each that is pretty piss poor. I know that I have a lot more room with tolerances than I originally built this one for, but even lower rated l-pads and stuff are marginally cheaper and I would rather err on the side of bulletproof.

Buying in bulk is probably the best option and if no one buys them it is just a waste of time and money. But I do know that the ones on e-Bay right now are the exact circuit as the ampwell using lower rated parts and going for a lot more than I would have paid. $60 is the sweet spot I would like to hit.

Archived